U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:42 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,503,732 times

Advertisements

I recently started to need reading glasses so ordered distance and bi-focals from Costco. Couldn't really see well through them so had Dr. check prescription. All was OK. His assistant said it may be a materials incompatibility with polycarb so I had them both remade with plastic. Could then see great out of the distance one but the bi-focals still bothered me. I figured it was the line and image jump so decided to order dedicated readers.

Through this forum I found Zenni. I ordered three pairs, progressive for about $50, computer for about $15 and readers for about $30 (frame was a bit more expensive than the computer). I used Zenni customer support and an on-line tool to convert the prescription so as to double check and to make sure I had done it correctly.

Here are my problems:
The progressives are great if you like looking down to see distance. It appears the intermediate zone is right in the line of sight so I have to tilt my chin down to see out the top of the glasses to see distance clearly. I tried to order a second pair and asked them to move it down a bit. They e-mailed back that their standard was 5 mm above the center height of the glasses. I measured this on my old pairs just to see if it would ever work and for me it is just too high. It puts it smack dab in the center of my pupil when my head is level. Do all places place this so high? If not where have you ordered that puts it lower?

The computer glasses (22"-26" distance) are great but I get a head ache wearing them. Zenni told me to reduce my pupil distance (P.D.) by 3 millimeters for reading glasses. So my 56 went to a 53. However I subsequently read that for computer you should keep it the same as for distance. When people order computer glasses what distance do they order for and what P.D. do they use?

Same problem (headaches/eye strain) with the reading glasses. These are adjusted for a 12" reading distance. I can't buy the standard ones because my reading glass correction is negative and they only sell positive ones. I'm wondering if because my P.D. is smaller I need to correct for the shorter distance less by ordering it only 1mm or 2mm less and not 3mm. What have been folks experience ordering reading glasses? Do they change the P.D. at all and if so by how much? Also helps to know your original P.D. to see if it is similar to mine or much larger. From what I read mine is the very low end of the adult range.

Suggestions for other web sites you have had good luck with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 09:45 AM

4,477 posts, read 4,737,152 times
I've used Zenni a lot with good results always. But then, I have just straight forward scripts.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I've used Zenni a lot with good results always. But then, I have just straight forward scripts.
Zenni is such a find! I really want to figure this out so I can be more successful with the order. It doesn't help that this is my first set of non-straightforward glasses and it is much too expensive to order them from Costco when I need all these different pairs. I also want to try their blue blocker lenses.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:14 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,152,796 times
I have been ordering Zenni glasses for my family for years and only had a fitting problem once. This was due to the change in my husband PDs (pupilliary distances) after a cataract surgery creating unequal PDs.

So the first thing to check is to measure the PD for each eye.

Next is to make sure the PDs measurement is correct. Have it done by different people several times to find the most accurate numbers.

Regarding PD distances for computer and reading, I subtract 1mm for computer (intermediate distance) and 2 mm for reading (close distance). For unequal PDs, substract half of these values for each PD.

You should also make sure to select the appropriate frame for your facial dimension. Bigger lenses also work much better for bifocal and progressive lenses. We find the aviator style lenses work the best.

We found Zenni's progressive glasses to function the same way as the much more expensive local store glasses. It does take sometimes to get use to wearing progressive glasses. In addition, as we get older, bifocals work much better than progressive glasses. My husband switched from progressive lenses to bifocals few years ago.

He has 4 pairs of glasses (2 bifocal and 2 single focal pairs). He wears his 'all purpose' computer glasses most of the time. The reading glasses are for reading books or any close up projects. The 'computer' bifocal is great for driving and flying. The 'reading' bifocal is great for hiking/photography trip.

For me, I wear my computer glasses for computer usage, reading glasses for close up view, 'computer' bifocal for flying (they are better to see the panel display and have much better peripheral vision than progressive lenses). For driving, I wear my progressive sun glasses.

Zenni glasses are so cheap that we can get 4-5 pairs of different purpose glasses for less than half the price of the local store prescription glasses.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,903,732 times
I have actually had better results with Zenni than with Costco. Getting used to progressives is a challenge, having a 'fitting service' would be worth the expense.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I have been ordering Zenni glasses for my family for years and only had a fitting problem once. This was due to the change in my husband PDs (pupilliary distances) after a cataract surgery creating unequal PDs.

So the first thing to check is to measure the PD for each eye.

Next is to make sure the PDs measurement is correct. Have it done by different people several times to find the most accurate numbers.

Regarding PD distances for computer and reading, I subtract 1mm for computer (intermediate distance) and 2 mm for reading (close distance). For unequal PDs, substract half of these values for each PD.

You should also make sure to select the appropriate frame for your facial dimension. Bigger lenses also work much better for bifocal and progressive lenses. We find the aviator style lenses work the best.

We found Zenni's progressive glasses to function the same way as the much more expensive local store glasses. It does take sometimes to get use to wearing progressive glasses. In addition, as we get older, bifocals work much better than progressive glasses. My husband switched from progressive lenses to bifocals few years ago.

He has 4 pairs of glasses (2 bifocal and 2 single focal pairs). He wears his 'all purpose' computer glasses most of the time. The reading glasses are for reading books or any close up projects. The 'computer' bifocal is great for driving and flying. The 'reading' bifocal is great for hiking/photography trip.

For me, I wear my computer glasses for computer usage, reading glasses for close up view, 'computer' bifocal for flying (they are better to see the panel display and have much better peripheral vision than progressive lenses). For driving, I wear my progressive sun glasses.

Zenni glasses are so cheap that we can get 4-5 pairs of different purpose glasses for less than half the price of the local store prescription glasses.
Thanks Bella!
Your experience is very helpful to me. I was using the P.D. measured by Costco but I have a call into my eye Dr. to see if they have something on file for me. Unfortunately I can't see well enough to measure it myself (get anywhere from 56 to 60) and my husband's hands shake (he thinks settling on 57 is safe) so he is no good also. I suspect my problems with the computer and reading is that I reduced the P.D. too much. 53 is probably forcing my eyes to work to hard. What is your normal P.D.?

Question on your bifocals from Zenni. Do they have a line or not? I sent them that question to their customer service but did not get a response.

The progressives I ordered were 30 mm height. I really like the computer frames I ordered which were 34 mm so wanted to order them as progressives but I suspect I will have to find something with a larger height to be successful with the progressives.

Once I get this all sorted out I suspect I will return all three pairs and reorder everything with hopefully better results.

Thanks again!

Old 12-06-2016, 12:24 PM

I'd suggest to ask a young person with good eyes and steady hand to measure your PDs. It's very important to have the correct PD, you can have headache even with a small 1-2mm error.

I'm surprised that Costco gave you the PD measurement. Eye doctors do not measure PDs. They are measured by the optician who fits your glasses and the glass shop typically does not give out this number.

What started us to order from Zenni was the PD measurement error by the local optician. The expensive (something close to $500!) progressive glasses did not fit and I had to push the glasses sideway one way to see from the left eye and the other to see from the right eye. I explored Zenni site and learned how to measure the PDs. I returned the glasses and insisted on having my PDs remeasured. Sure enough it was different from the previous number. Only then that they revealed the measurements with the correct number matched my own measurement! My Zenni progressive glasses cost about 1/10 the price and arrived before I got the replacement pair from the glass shop!

I'm not sure my PD value is of any help to you. Mine is 60mm. My sister has a narrower face than mine and her PD is 58mm. My mother's face is also narrow but her PD is the same as mine.

Only progressive glasses have no lines. Bifocals and trifocals all have lines delineating areas of different focal points.

For bifocals, I chose lens height of at least 35mm. For progressive glasses, we chose the 'tallest' lenses at 43mm.

I don't think that you can return your glasses to Zenni if it was your own measurement errors. However, you can talk to customer service to see if they give you some discounts for the new pairs. If the frames are expensive, it is possible that they would take returns to mount new lenses and you only have to pay for lenses and the shipping cost.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:32 PM

Thanks again Bella,

Luckily Costco prints out the P.D. on the receipt so I used that.

Thanks also for your P.D. measurement. In thinking about why Zenni's advice to me to take 3 mm off for reading glasses did not work well I realized that amount could be dependent on whether I had a narrow, average or wide P.D. My eyes are very narrow set. So if I think about what they are trying to accomplish with the subtraction for reading glasses there was a possibility that I should subtract less. However I didn't know if that was really the case. But your example leads me to believe that I probably should subtract less for reading and maybe not anything at all for computer glasses.

Thankfully Zenni has a generous return policy. 100% store credit for first one and then 50% after that minus shipping.

"You have thirty (30) days from the date you receive the glasses to call us for a return authorization (RA) number if you want to return them for any reason. If you made a mistake during the order, or you just donít like the glasses, you can return them for a 50% refund (excluding shipping) to the credit or debit card or PayPal account, or for a one-time-use 100% store credit (excluding shipping). Unused accessories can be returned for a 100% refund (excluding shipping). We will replace broken frames at no charge during this 30-day warranty period. Replacement nose pads and nose pad screws for rimless frames are offered for the lifetime of the glasses. We do not provide replacement screws for frames other than rimless frames. SHIPPING CHARGES WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
If you feel there is a manufacturing error, return the glasses for inspection within the 30-day warranty period. If our inspection shows the glasses were made incorrectly, we will remake them for you at no charge. Defects in the anti-reflective (AR) coating and photochromic films are warrantied for one (1) year from the date of receipt. This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear to the frames, lenses, or coatings."

I purposely picked less expensive frames (well, except for the one reading one) so that if this happened I would not be out alot. It would be helpful if they had a smart calculator to figure out the reading and the computer glasses on-line. Their advice like taking 3 mm off for reading may be right for wide set eyes and their progressive line starting at 5 mm above the center may fit for some faces but unfortunately they don't work for my face.

Thanks also for your advice on the height to get for bifocals and progressive. This is my first time with either so I am learning as I go.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:42 PM

639 posts, read 1,744,422 times
My experience with Zenni was a disaster. I sent the first pair back to them and they said they did something wrong and remade them. Second set was just as bad, I could see better without any glasses on. Took the 50% refund hit and still haven't filled my RX anywhere. My husband got 2 pair at eyemart express for $97 including taxes. That is cheaper than my charge from Zenni for one pair.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post

In thinking about why Zenni's advice to me to take 3 mm off for reading glasses did not work well I realized that amount could be dependent on whether I had a narrow, average or wide P.D. My eyes are very narrow set. So if I think about what they are trying to accomplish with the subtraction for reading glasses there was a possibility that I should subtract less. However I didn't know if that was really the case. But your example leads me to believe that I probably should subtract less for reading and maybe not anything at all for computer glasses.
mic111,

I have substracted the same values (1mm for computer, 2mm for reading glasses) for myself, my husband and several family members with PDs range from 58mm to 62mm. So I don't believe that the appropriate reduction values change much with PD values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement