U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 03:03 PM

1,959 posts, read 1,208,648 times

Advertisements

I found out what the problem is.

The city college he worked for was taken over by the State in 1981 so all records were sent to the State Comptrollers office.

I'll give them a call and see if they have complete records.

edited to add... The state comptroller has his own FB page so I messaged him. I'm going to be pretty hard to ignore that way. Maybe he'll have some answers for me.

Last edited by elliedeee; 12-07-2016 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: to add additional info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 03:45 PM

9,162 posts, read 3,007,855 times
The SSA has a nasty habit of denying many benefits, especially those that have disability involved, but other types, as well. They make you struggle and squirm for awhile and then resort to hiring a lawyer. The bottom-feeders in the legal profession who make their entire living from this type of case, love the whole thing.

I know a guy who spent 6 years serving in the Marines. The Marines and Dept. of the Navy deny that he served at all and it currently seems as if he's lost all those years of FICA contributions, as well. No one seems willing to give him any help on this. He has all his copies of his papers and many photos showing him in uniform at recognizable Marine bases, but they continue to give him a stiff-arm.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:55 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,205,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The problem is that those documents pile up later in life and, due to being so old and (we think) already recorded thanks to income tax reports filed and acknowledged, said paper piles get thrown out during downsizing.

I don't think the W2s are printed with bold words Keep for your entire life. Document might be required to receive benefits after retirement.

What percentage of people age 65 and over still have those things, every one of them?
It's true but the ONLY things I made SURE I had in my suitcase during the hurricane this year was my file of W2s and tax records from the 1970s through current day LOL. My property deed. And one file size box of client records. My pension was lump sum but I had that paper, too.

It's not alot - like 2 manila envelopes.

Anyone expecting a pension should absolutely keep everything. I also kept a couple paystubs per year even after I got my pension payout; just because it was fun seeing them for old times' sake.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:44 PM

1,202 posts, read 682,799 times
Didn't know if your question regarded a pension from the school or referring to SSA but,

If you hubby was a CETA enrollee, under title 6 or 2 generally referred to as PSE(public service employment), he is probably not eligible for a pension from that nonprofit for the time spent as an employee/enrollee. There were other funding titles also that restricted the eligibility for pension.

It has been 40 years since I worked with the program and it is time to eat so I haven't double checked myself but--- pretty confident in my statement.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Didn't know if your question regarded a pension from the school or referring to SSA but,

If you hubby was a CETA enrollee, under title 6 or 2 generally referred to as PSE(public service employment), he is probably not eligible for a pension from that nonprofit for the time spent as an employee/enrollee. There were other funding titles also that restricted the eligibility for pension.

It has been 40 years since I worked with the program and it is time to eat so I haven't double checked myself but--- pretty confident in my statement.
The pension wouldn't be from his CETA employment. He works and has worked full time for another city agency and that's where he'd be getting his pension from.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:12 PM

1,202 posts, read 682,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
The pension wouldn't be from his CETA employment. He works and has worked full time for another city agency and that's where he'd be getting his pension from.

Cool----------- hope you find your info needed

Old 12-07-2016, 06:02 PM

7,185 posts, read 2,755,518 times
Is this to prove FICA taxes for Social Security? There may not have been any SS deductions for him. Historically, a lot of school systems had their own pension plans, and did not pay into SS. You may want to determine that he was actually subject to FICA at that job.

ETA: oops, sorry, didn't read the part about proving the time for his pension, rather than for SS, before I posted. Sounds like you have a worse problem if he can't prove his work for them.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:52 PM

18,101 posts, read 22,968,690 times
I'm still completely confused. Who needs this info? And who will be paying you $300 more per month for it?

Old 12-07-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm still completely confused. Who needs this info? And who will be paying you $300 more per month for it?
I'm not sure who needs this info.. LOL the retirement division of the city of NY? The 'buy back' division?

The info needed is for his city retirement pension. CETA was a city position so the time he spent working there counts towards his retirement pension. Without that info from CETA my husbands pension will be $300. less per month.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:24 PM

18,101 posts, read 22,968,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I'm not sure who needs this info.. LOL the retirement division of the city of NY? The 'buy back' division?

The info needed is for his city retirement pension. CETA was a city position so the time he spent working there counts towards his retirement pension. Without that info from CETA my husbands pension will be $300. less per month.
Okay, so this is about his city retirement pension. Well, worst case scenario, you hire a lawyer to plead your case based on the employment index cards showing the hours he worked, and a CPA's estimate of what would have been withheld. And the lawyer could request records, etc., too, if they're not cooperating with you. It's amazing how a letter from an attorney can get people off their butts :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or