U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 03:22 PM

4,071 posts, read 2,574,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Hawaii is #1, but who can afford it?
We retired to Maui from Seattle. We basically traded houses - sold the one in Seattle and bought one here in Maui for same price. And this was before the crazy housing boom in Seattle.

COL here is about 10% higher than Seattle. Food and gas are a lot more. But we don't have to heat the house and no AC either (we live on the north, cooler side). Clothes are just T-shirts and shorts 365 days a year so no clothing expenses. We garden all year around so grow a lot of our own food. I surf a lot. My wife watercolor paints. Lots of outdoor activities all year round. We spend a lot less money here than I anticipated. We are very happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 03:44 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Well, I guess shouldn't be happy in Ohio but I am. Go figure.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:51 PM

4,840 posts, read 4,954,521 times
Arizona in winter and Colorado in summer would be perfect.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to simultaneously own and maintain 2 places.

So I chose Colorado.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:51 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
The way the thread title is worded, it can be taken humorously. (If you're a happy retiree, go to states X, Y, or Z and those will be best for you. If you're an unhappy retiree, go to states A, B, or C and those will suit you better!) It cracks me up to form a mental image of all the mean, nasty people I've encountered here over the years (a minority of the total, but still...) congregating somewhere to be among their own kind. What a hoot!

I like the poster who reminded us that happiness is portable.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:00 PM

491 posts, read 598,162 times
I am perfectly happy living in one of those states listed and probably a less desirable one at that. I don't really like any outdoor sports, but find plenty to enjoy inside during the winter. Probably my biggest adjustment is I am considered really left wing here, first time anyone has considered me anything but a middle of the roader, haha!

Old 12-07-2016, 05:31 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I moved to Colorado FROM Arkansas after I retired. If I could afford it I would move back in a heart beat. I hate it here.
If you feel that way there has to be a way you can move back. Do you own a home or are you renting? If you own, sell and use some of that money. If you rent, can you get some friends to help with moving your things?

Or are you just being stubborn?

Old 12-07-2016, 06:18 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,143,473 times
Sorry folks, but that list means nothing. What works for the author probably won't work for most people. We have too many retirees in our area (eastern CA)that love it here and are quite happy. Been to Hawaii more than once. Boring weather and a road trip is an hour max. SD is more interesting, but the winters are deadly cold.

Iowa, no offense, but it's not for us.

Ya gotta go where it feels right. Not where someone else says you should live.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:19 PM

49 posts, read 36,209 times
Quote:
I moved to Colorado FROM Arkansas after I retired. If I could afford it I would move back in a heart beat. I hate it here.
Wondering why you hate it so? We are spending our first retirement winter in CO. I love the cold and snow because it's all new to me but can see how years of dealing with it might get really old.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
This was/is my year to deal with the snow & drastic winter weather. I'm done with it & looking to go south. I still have things to check out & won't be physically going anywhere until spring but Arkansas is on my list.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:47 PM

6,570 posts, read 3,664,491 times
"Almost heaven, West Virginia " -- apparently not. John Denver was wrong? The Bible Belt seems to be in the dumpster by this survey. The upper Midwest makes me think of cold winters with less diversity but I guess people like it (Lake Woebegone?) Each one of those states is fairly different from the others so maybe it is just coincidental that they cluster together. Utah is lower than I expected and Pennsylvania is higher... What's wrong with Wyoming? We once considered moving there. I was eager to leave Missouri and happy where I ended up in the Land of Enchantment, New Mexico...in the middle group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or