U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 09:28 PM

39,530 posts, read 47,699,472 times

Advertisements

Well we're enjoying our nice fall weather of
67-72 right now in the Phoenix AZ area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 09:43 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Once I let go of wanting to live in the SF Bay Area, I was happy to learn there are a lot of super affordable towns in northern Ca, once you get out of commuting distance to the SF Bay Area. CA has great benefits for low income seniors, so I can stay in CA, which I love and has great benefits for me, but now I also can take advantage of cheaper gas and zero sales tax, etc., in OR which is just a 20-30 minute drive away.

What mattered to me was year-round temps that wouldn't keep me from taking my dog on long walks year round, and I have that now.

I also wanted to live in a pretty place, and this is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

There are always downsides, but it's a great home base for me here, and I'm hoping to afford to go on trips to go visit friends or go to shows, etc., once I can.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:17 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,782,569 times
Yes, Hawaii is #1, but you have to account for the high prices. Most retiring here have substantial incomes or deep pockets and generally higher levels of education. All of those things greatly contribute to the "happiness" quotient.

But alternately there are huge numbers of homeless, under employed and people needing a lot of social programs like subsidized rent or food stamps to simply be able to eat or pay rent.

Basically, if you are wealthy, you will be able to afford happiness wherever you chose.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:45 AM

13,317 posts, read 25,550,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I moved to Colorado FROM Arkansas after I retired. If I could afford it I would move back in a heart beat. I hate it here.
I'm a bit confused. I thought you loved Ridgway but can't afford it? Is it that you hate the area where you are now living? If you moved back to Arkansas, wouldn't you risk running into people from your past career who... don't like you?

Please elaborate, if you will. Maybe I missed some important points in your thinking.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:22 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,464 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Thank goodness, another list...
I'm never sure whether or not I should be happy where I live until some list comes out to tell me. Of course it never fails that a few months later another list will come out that says something entirely different. The ups and downs are like a roller coaster ride!

Old 12-08-2016, 05:16 AM

4,833 posts, read 4,947,484 times
I grew up in the Phoenix area and that place had a huge influx of people wanting to "start fresh".

An observation: If you were unhappy in one place, that attitude usually persists. Moving to a new lace may temporarily improve it, but that baseline level will eventually return.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:09 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,168,903 times
It puts Kentucky near the bottom. But I actually find Louisville to be a good compromise between happy and sad. During the cooler half of the year, the sky seems cloudy more often than not. That can cause SAD. But what makes it happy is the low cost of living. People without a lot of money can seem almost rich here because they can buy so much more. They spend less on housing and other essentials, and have more money left over, to save or spend as they please. If money is the secret to happiness, living in a low cost of living area might be the secret to having enough money to be happy.

Most low COL areas are rural or semi-rural. Once you get into cities the size of Louisville, it's much harder to find a low COL city. But Louisville is one of the exceptions. You get the advantages of a city without the disadvantages of high cost.

I think a good definition of the difference between a small city and a real city might be that a real city has 2 or more Costco's. Louisville recently got its 2nd Costco. So you could say it's a low COL city that recently became a real city.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:35 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,431,986 times
Quote:
I moved to Colorado FROM Arkansas after I retired. If I could afford it I would move back in a heart beat. I hate it here.
I would imagine CO would be quite the draw given its liberal marijuana laws.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:14 AM

5,418 posts, read 2,819,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I would imagine CO would be quite the draw given its liberal marijuana laws.
Might also be a repellant, albeit to a lot fewer people.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:24 AM

6,778 posts, read 3,857,072 times
Quote:
Is it mainly the weather or something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or