U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 AM

2,474 posts, read 862,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, I guess shouldn't be happy in Ohio but I am. Go figure.
How dare you be happy in Ohio!
This thread stimulated a lot of astute comments - like happiness is portable. Is it the location that makes the people happy, or the people that make the location a happy one? I doubt many people move to Minnesota to retire. But those who grew up there are happy, so they stay! And those who live in Arizona, for the most part moved there by choice, so they also are happy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 10:59 AM

Location: Currently in CT but have recently started construction for our retirement home in NH
291 posts, read 232,007 times
We are moving to NH for our retirement home soon. Too hot and humid in the south for us and we still like to ski and plan on getting a couple snowmobiles. The only downside, which unfortunately is the entire northeast, is that it has too many liberal views (although mid to northern NH is more conservative).

Old 12-08-2016, 10:59 AM

11,087 posts, read 12,470,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Is it mainly the weather or something else?

NOT the weather, I love snow and cold. It's a combination of things. Not going to get into all that here.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:37 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
I am surprised to see Maine ranking #20 on this list. I thought it would be higher.

We moved to Maine after I retired.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:04 PM

6,567 posts, read 3,664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
An observation: If you were unhappy in one place, that attitude usually persists. Moving to a new lace may temporarily improve it, but that baseline level will eventually return.

It all depends on why you were unhappy. It's true that some people can't escape themselves. On the other hand, maybe the old place had bad or sad memories. Retirement brings different priorities on how one wants to spend their time. Also, crazy little things add up...I had the desire to never hear a lawnmower again (thanks to a lawn obsessed neighbor) but that was just one of several little things that started getting on my nerves after I retired.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:36 PM

915 posts, read 496,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I moved to Colorado FROM Arkansas after I retired. If I could afford it I would move back in a heart beat. I hate it here.
Is Arkansas expensive?

Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I grew up in the Phoenix area and that place had a huge influx of people wanting to "start fresh".

An observation: If you were unhappy in one place, that attitude usually persists. Moving to a new lace may temporarily improve it, but that baseline level will eventually return.
It all depends upon the reasons for moving from one to another place. I was not doing well in my former city but I am in my new one. I know of many others who say the same about their relocation choices. It's not always an unhappy attitude that prompts people to move from one place to another; sometimes maybe but not always.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 PM

915 posts, read 496,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I would imagine CO would be quite the draw given its liberal marijuana laws.
I would doubt that getting high tops the list of things to do for retirees.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:18 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,464,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
I would doubt that getting high tops the list of things to do for retirees.
Hey! We're of the Haight-Ashbury, free love, flower-power, anti-war hippy generation. Maybe we just want to go back to the years of our irresponsible youth.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-08-2016, 02:20 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,863,395 times
I think the best state is the State of Happiness. For wherever you go, there you are. One's attitude travels along.

Now if a person cannot tolerate frigid winters or sultry summers, then a move may be indicated. And if large cities get on one's nerves, then a move to a quieter locale makes sense. But searching for the "one perfect" place is futile, imho. Eden is found within -- not without.

Friends are more important than locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or