U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2016, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,969 posts, read 3,455,934 times
Reputation: 10489

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't understand these listings at all.

Hawaii obviously makes sense if you can afford it, but ALASKA? I know one person personally who moved to Alaska. He is an extremely avid fisherman, hunter, and outdoorsman, and nowhere near retirement age. I guess maybe for a very certain, small subset of elderly it would be paradise, but most people would go crazy in Alaska permanently.

I don't see much redeeming about the Dakotas. There is pretty country in the western part of the states, but the climate is awful and the eastern part extremely unscenic.

Dittos for Iowa, MN, WI. Cold but homogeneous and relatively good social services. I don't find them appealing, especially for an aging person, but I guess some people do.
When you grow up in it, it is comfortable. I can only speak to MN, but in both summer & winter there is fishing.

There are fish house communities on the lakes in the winter. There is a lot of snowmobiling in the rural areas. I'm personally tired of it but there are many, many people who love the outdoor activities here.

Some of us don't make soup or warm dishes until it's cold. It's all in how you grew up.

I'm looking into Tennessee but then again, I'm older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2016, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,969 posts, read 3,455,934 times
Reputation: 10489
I also must add that I talked to my brother in Nashville & he said not to get rid of my winter gear so guess I'll still make soups when I need that gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 08:56 PM
 
2,294 posts, read 1,560,184 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I would consider moving to New Hampshire. But I have never visited. I love cold snowy weather and it's a blue state politically.
Move to a place you have never even visited? That does fit your politics. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 09:01 PM
 
2,294 posts, read 1,560,184 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't understand these listings at all.

Hawaii obviously makes sense if you can afford it, but ALASKA? I know one person personally who moved to Alaska. He is an extremely avid fisherman, hunter, and outdoorsman, and nowhere near retirement age. I guess maybe for a very certain, small subset of elderly it would be paradise, but most people would go crazy in Alaska permanently.

I don't see much redeeming about the Dakotas. There is pretty country in the western part of the states, but the climate is awful and the eastern part extremely unscenic.

Dittos for Iowa, MN, WI. Cold but homogeneous and relatively good social services. I don't find them appealing, especially for an aging person, but I guess some people do.

Again, stereotypes. I lived in California for 35 years and moved to Sioux Falls, S.D. a year ago. Am saving about 30k a year and really like Sioux Falls..a metro area of 250k with outstanding schools, restaurants, and people. Always listed as one of the best place to move for workers and also for retirees. Oh, and I can be gone all winter if I want and travel extensively and still be way ahead financially. You can have California...bye bye...

Couldn't pay me to retire in Hawaii and I"ve been there many, many times, so no, it's not obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2016, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,579 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Reputation: 27650
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
When you grow up in it, it is comfortable. I can only speak to MN, but in both summer & winter there is fishing.

There are fish house communities on the lakes in the winter. There is a lot of snowmobiling in the rural areas. I'm personally tired of it but there are many, many people who love the outdoor activities here.

Some of us don't make soup or warm dishes until it's cold. It's all in how you grew up.

I'm looking into Tennessee but then again, I'm older.
I'd rather have it 25 and sunny vs. 45 and rainy like we've had...if I don't have to commute in it. It was raining here all day vs. snow covered interstates where I was at in Indiana. Winter here still sucks, but it rains more often than snow, and next week we are back up to around 60.

To me, the outdoor activities suck no matter where you're at this time of year with very short days, muddy and dead grassland, trees with no leaves, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Again, stereotypes. I lived in California for 35 years and moved to Sioux Falls, S.D. a year ago. Am saving about 30k a year and really like Sioux Falls..a metro area of 250k with outstanding schools, restaurants, and people. Always listed as one of the best place to move for workers and also for retirees. Oh, and I can be gone all winter if I want and travel extensively and still be way ahead financially. You can have California...bye bye...

Couldn't pay me to retire in Hawaii and I"ve been there many, many times, so no, it's not obvious.
I've spent a few days in Sioux Falls when I lived out in Iowa. Nice enough community, though I doubt most people would trade a prestigious area of California for Sioux Falls if they could afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 12:32 PM
 
Location: equator
3,432 posts, read 1,529,612 times
Reputation: 8514
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I do have to agree that it would be difficult for me to be happy in some places, mainly due to weather. I can't stand dealing with a frozen world outside my door and in-between anywhere I want to go or do outside. I feel the same about heat that also keeps me indoors without suffering outside. I like to be able to run in and out and drive around and spend time outside without severe limitations on doing that in comfort.

So, being just far enough south on the west coast to avoid freezing temps or hot weather suits me to a tee. I miss having more entertainment and shopping options, but weather was more important to me (and an affordable location).

Point being, I'm not capable of being equally happy everywhere. Not quite that zen yet - probably won't hit that level of contentment in this lifetime lol.
Totally with you on all this, No-Snow. In the Mid-west, it was the snow. In TX, the heat kept you indoors, no one even opened their windows! Friends couldn't make up for that....So-CA and HI, unaffordable.


It is a trade-off. We have very little shopping or entertainment but weather and affordability was more important to us too. And the beach. No Zen here either....although small amounts of mj are OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 09:00 PM
 
2,294 posts, read 1,560,184 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'd rather have it 25 and sunny vs. 45 and rainy like we've had...if I don't have to commute in it. It was raining here all day vs. snow covered interstates where I was at in Indiana. Winter here still sucks, but it rains more often than snow, and next week we are back up to around 60.

To me, the outdoor activities suck no matter where you're at this time of year with very short days, muddy and dead grassland, trees with no leaves, etc.



I've spent a few days in Sioux Falls when I lived out in Iowa. Nice enough community, though I doubt most people would trade a prestigious area of California for Sioux Falls if they could afford it.
Well, mostly people live where they have connections, usually family. So, yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Reputation: 19129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Well, mostly people live where they have connections, usually family. So, yeah.
We don't live near family. I am from California, my relatives are mostly there. My Dw is from Connecticut, she has no surviving relatives. Our children are in Kansas and Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 09:20 PM
 
332 posts, read 318,076 times
Reputation: 264
I would go crazy living on one of the Hawaiian Islands full time. After going there every year when my son was young for a week a year I already feel like I've had my lifetime fill of Maui at least. Lovely for vacations but overpriced housing, mediocre food, and the overcrowding that has occurred over the years would get old quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 10:43 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,592 posts, read 12,334,192 times
Reputation: 15493
The conversation seems to be about climate. To me climate is a secondary factor. I think I would be very unhappy in snowy places because I hate to drive in snow and ice. I grew up near Miami but I'm not crazy about months and months of high heat and humidity. I like four distinct seasons.

Now here are the things that are important to me:

  • Cultural amenities - excellent museums, art galleries, a symphony, opera, lecture series, exhibitions, street festivals, entertainment, live theater, foreign film festivals;
  • Restaurants - I really don't think I could live in a place that I cannot get sushi and sashimi, Thai food, Spanish Tapas, a superior French cordon bleu cuisine, a Kosher deli with real Jewish corned beef and pastrami, a Greek restaurant, or a Cuban sandwich.
  • Nightlife - there is nothing like an upscale elegant cocktail lounge on the 45th floor with skyline views and well made cocktails, or a stylish piano bar, a lively nightclub with live entertainment, or a late night snack in Chinatown.
  • Excellent medical infrastructure - very important to me. If I'm not near one of the "Top Ten" hospitals rated by US News & World Report, I feel I might be getting second rate care ... and this goes for vision, dental, etc.
I don't know about other people, but I would be miserable in a place like West Virginia or Idaho or Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top