U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 12:18 AM

4,976 posts, read 3,462,838 times

Advertisements

Clark Park, Philadelphia has all this? I never realized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 05:04 AM

3,348 posts, read 3,051,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark park View Post
the conversation seems to be about climate. To me climate is a secondary factor. I think i would be very unhappy in snowy places because i hate to drive in snow and ice. I grew up near miami but i'm not crazy about months and months of high heat and humidity. I like four distinct seasons.

Now here are the things that are important to me:

• cultural amenities - excellent museums, art galleries, a symphony, opera, lecture series, exhibitions, street festivals, entertainment, live theater, foreign film festivals;
  • restaurants - i really don't think i could live in a place that i cannot get sushi and sashimi, thai food, spanish tapas, a superior french cordon bleu cuisine, a kosher deli with real jewish corned beef and pastrami, a greek restaurant, or a cuban sandwich.
  • nightlife - there is nothing like an upscale elegant cocktail lounge on the 45th floor with skyline views and well made cocktails, or a stylish piano bar, a lively nightclub with live entertainment, or a late night snack in chinatown.
  • excellent medical infrastructure - very important to me. If i'm not near one of the "top ten" hospitals rated by us news & world report, i feel i might be getting second rate care ... And this goes for vision, dental, etc.
i don't know about other people, but i would be miserable in a place like west virginia or idaho or wyoming.

bingo!

Old 12-15-2016, 08:23 AM

5,825 posts, read 13,321,007 times
We live upstate in NY and are very happy there. We also have been lucky enough to have traveled almost all 50 states. For the past eight years we have spent 4 months a year in the FL Keys during the winter but have determined that is not the place we want to be and will return to the snowy climate up north. Too many of us base our retirement home on climate and cost instead of what will really make us happy there. In our case, our good friends spent winters together in FL, although it is one of the ugliest states I have seen. The Keys do not compare in any way to the Caribbean or Hawaii. The beaches are few and crime is high. So we will content ourselves with family and friends, hobbies and volunteer work that we love, which are more important than climate and cost.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:57 AM

1,980 posts, read 1,308,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
"Almost heaven, West Virginia " -- apparently not. John Denver was wrong? The Bible Belt seems to be in the dumpster by this survey. The upper Midwest makes me think of cold winters with less diversity but I guess people like it (Lake Woebegone?) Each one of those states is fairly different from the others so maybe it is just coincidental that they cluster together. Utah is lower than I expected and Pennsylvania is higher... What's wrong with Wyoming? We once considered moving there. I was eager to leave Missouri and happy where I ended up in the Land of Enchantment, New Mexico...in the middle group.
Pennsylvania, where I love now, is good for retirees as far as cheap housing and no taxes go. Just have to deal with a few bad months- but the rest of the seasons are pretty nice. And are within a fewhours of a lot of stuff in all directions.

So it doesn't surprise me.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:09 AM

5,444 posts, read 2,833,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
I would go crazy living on one of the Hawaiian Islands full time. After going there every year when my son was young for a week a year I already feel like I've had my lifetime fill of Maui at least. Lovely for vacations but overpriced housing, mediocre food, and the overcrowding that has occurred over the years would get old quickly.
I would go crazy on a Hawaiian island because it was an island far from the mainland, i.e., not negotiable by automobile. GREAT for visiting but not to live on. I even felt caged in on a peninsula, hemmed in one side by both water and an international border, hemmed in on two other sides by horrible traffic and dense metro development. That left only one auto travel direction, and it too was constricted for both terrain and jurisdiction reasons. And then it also ran into the ocean. Would be terrific for someone who prefers boat travel and can pilot his own. Not so good for someone who loves road trips.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:32 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,590,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

• Cultural amenities - excellent museums, art galleries, a symphony, opera, lecture series, exhibitions, street festivals, entertainment, live theater, foreign film festivals;
  • Restaurants - I really don't think I could live in a place that I cannot get sushi and sashimi, Thai food, Spanish Tapas, a superior French cordon bleu cuisine, a Kosher deli with real Jewish corned beef and pastrami, a Greek restaurant, or a Cuban sandwich.
  • Nightlife - there is nothing like an upscale elegant cocktail lounge on the 45th floor with skyline views and well made cocktails, or a stylish piano bar, a lively nightclub with live entertainment, or a late night snack in Chinatown.
  • Excellent medical infrastructure - very important to me. If I'm not near one of the "Top Ten" hospitals rated by US News & World Report, I feel I might be getting second rate care ... and this goes for vision, dental, etc.
I don't know about other people, but I would be miserable in a place like West Virginia or Idaho or Wyoming.
This is exactly why I keep procrastinating looking into AZ & NV to relocate for now, I think I would be bored after the novelty of a new place wears off. I spent 20 years in 5 other states & travel a lot & while I do yearn for a backyard or outdoor space I'm pretty much content here since a lot of what you listed is what I enjoy & take for granted.

Plus I have a pretty good deal where I live financially, & you omitted another factor: mass transit. I haven't owned a vehicle for over 25 years, one of the factors that enabled me to retire when I did was that lack of auto costs for that time. I have subway & bus lines quite near me, a senior's discount - not free & very easy access to airports & trains. I am in good health thankfully but having great hospitals & doctors nearby is also heartening.

Still once mom passes there won't be much family reasons to stay & I might reconsider then.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:12 AM

6,584 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Quote:

• Cultural amenities - excellent museums, art galleries, a symphony, opera, lecture series, exhibitions, street festivals, entertainment, live theater, foreign film festivals;
  • Restaurants - I really don't think I could live in a place that I cannot get sushi and sashimi, Thai food, Spanish Tapas, a superior French cordon bleu cuisine, a Kosher deli with real Jewish corned beef and pastrami, a Greek restaurant, or a Cuban sandwich.
  • Nightlife - there is nothing like an upscale elegant cocktail lounge on the 45th floor with skyline views and well made cocktails, or a stylish piano bar, a lively nightclub with live entertainment, or a late night snack in Chinatown.
  • Excellent medical infrastructure - very important to me. If I'm not near one of the "Top Ten" hospitals rated by US News & World Report, I feel I might be getting second rate care ... and this goes for vision, dental, etc.
I picked a spot just north of Albuquerque with an almost perfect four season climate with much of what is on the above list. I'm not big on nightlife but I have a few favorite spots. Santa Fe is less than an hour away so I have that option as well. The big plus, for me, is that it is also a good base for exploring places I've not visited or have not spent much time visiting. There's a bunch more waiting for me to visit. I do a lot of hobby photography so being close to the natural world is important and I'm within 20 minutes of a wide variety beautiful spots. Being a 'blue' state is a plus and one factor I hadn't actually counted on when moving here.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:38 AM

4,676 posts, read 3,248,729 times
Quote:
The conversation seems to be about climate. To me climate is a secondary factor. I think I would be very unhappy in snowy places because I hate to drive in snow and ice. I grew up near Miami but I'm not crazy about months and months of high heat and humidity. I like four distinct seasons.

I don't know about other people, but I would be miserable in a place like West Virginia or Idaho or Wyoming.

How is your weather? You said you have 4 seasons, that is good. But how cold/hot does it get there? Do you have a lot of snow? What about crime?

I've been doing some thinking about my location. I know what I said about a month or two ago, but sometimes you can talk yourself into being happy with where you are.

I don't go into Syracuse anymore at night; go very cautiously and in better areas during daylight hours. I'm fortunate that I don't have to go there often. Last night was the 29th homicide for 2016. There are knifings, shootings, some get shot while riding in a car and the shooter is riding in another car. Wild wooly west.

Anyway, since I'm too broke to think about moving I like to at least think what it could be like. I know I can look my questions up on the computer but I like to hear a personal commentary and Clark Park, you are very good with that.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:51 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,527,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I would go crazy on a Hawaiian island because it was an island far from the mainland, i.e., not negotiable by automobile. GREAT for visiting but not to live on. I even felt caged in on a peninsula, hemmed in one side by both water and an international border, hemmed in on two other sides by horrible traffic and dense metro development. That left only one auto travel direction, and it too was constricted for both terrain and jurisdiction reasons. And then it also ran into the ocean. Would be terrific for someone who prefers boat travel and can pilot his own. Not so good for someone who loves road trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

Plus I have a pretty good deal where I live financially, & you omitted another factor: mass transit. I haven't owned a vehicle for over 25 years, one of the factors that enabled me to retire when I did was that lack of auto costs for that time. I have subway & bus lines quite near me, a senior's discount - not free & very easy access to airports & trains.
Interesting how some consider mass transit to be such a plus. Not having a car or not being able to drive would make me feel caged in on an Hawaiian island or in a very large city. Even in my comparatively small southwestern city, the capability to readily escape into the desert or the mountains is a huge freedom. Having to be surrounded by millions of people all the time would drive me crazy.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:54 AM

484 posts, read 479,466 times
Which state? We retired in Arizona. But the older I get I find I'm more and more in a state of confusion.

Now where did I leave that remote...??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or