U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:03 AM

2,474 posts, read 862,888 times

Advertisements

Interesting data:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a14ebac49995

I guess maybe I should move back to the Upper Midwest. MN, WI, IA, SD and ND all in the top ten. My wife hates the cold, however.
Hawaii is #1, but who can afford it?
I wonder if all the folks on this forum who retired to Tennessee or Arkansas would dispute these findings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 12:11 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,117,979 times
I would consider moving to New Hampshire. But I have never visited. I love cold snowy weather and it's a blue state politically.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:36 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,911,592 times
The article strikes me as idiotic. Since a retiree has a free hand in terms of where to live, with no job-related demands, why live in the snow belt? I mean, if you like to ski, fine, move to ID, somewhere like that. But MN for a retirement destination? Frostbite Falls? You gotta be kiddin' me!

Different states offer different political and physical climates. What suits Peter probably does not work so hot for Paul.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:11 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The article strikes me as idiotic. Since a retiree has a free hand in terms of where to live, with no job-related demands, why live in the snow belt? I mean, if you like to ski, fine, move to ID, somewhere like that. But MN for a retirement destination? Frostbite Falls? You gotta be kiddin' me!

Different states offer different political and physical climates. What suits Peter probably does not work so hot for Paul.

A good number of my neighbors winter here in Arizona and spend most of the year in Minnesota.

Their major motivation for remaining up north is to live near their families. However, there are advantages to Minnesota - far better health care is available, especially in the Twin Cities and far better senior services are available.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:20 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I wonder if all the folks on this forum who retired to Tennessee or Arkansas would dispute these findings?
We live in Missouri just five miles as the crow flies from the Arkansas border. Is that close enough?

We moved from the left coast in retirement and love it here in the Ozarks. It's not about a list of "happy" states. It's about personal preference. In that regard, "Yes!" I would dispute those or any number of lists regarding retirement venues of which there are too many to count, none of which we relied upon. Rather, we relied on personal, past experiences. We encourage others to do the same.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:21 PM

11,090 posts, read 12,473,002 times
I moved to Colorado FROM Arkansas after I retired. If I could afford it I would move back in a heart beat. I hate it here.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:39 PM

2,536 posts, read 1,827,802 times
Nearly 2 years ago I started researching where I wanted to retire to.

Before ever even looking at States, I sat down with my wife and we made lists (his and hers) of WHAT we wanted to do in retirement and what other factors were important (shopping, Dr, dentist, family proximity -- everyone has their own set of preferences) and then we ranked them most to least important.

THEN we set about looking at places that allowed us to most closely match our preferences list.

Then we set about checking out taxes, real estate prices, COL in general, weather etc.

My list included golf, fishing, hiking and 'activities' (poker night, wood shop...)
My wife's included proximity to her family, indoor and outdoor pool, 'activities' and clubs and (of course) shopping

For us the fit wasn't so much about the 'State" itself as it was the place inside that State and for us that place was/is Tellico Village in Tennessee.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "it is more about WHAT makes you happy than WHERE makes you happy"

PS the moving van comes tomorrow

Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I moved to Colorado FROM Arkansas after I retired. If I could afford it I would move back in a heart beat. I hate it here.
Can't say as I blame you. It's about 9 in Denver right now and 37 in SW MO/NW AR.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:50 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,057,486 times
Just pack up your happiness and take it with you to any state you want. Happiness is portable. My late father-in-law lived in Ohio and whenever something bad happened in the world he'd say, "That can't happen here." And he believed it, thus he was happy. He was in denial but he was happy. We've lived in four states, they all give me blissful memories and they've left lines on my forehead as well.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:16 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,073,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We live in Missouri just five miles as the crow flies from the Arkansas border. Is that close enough?

We moved from the left coast in retirement and love it here in the Ozarks. It's not about a list of "happy" states. It's about personal preference. In that regard, "Yes!" I would dispute those or any number of lists regarding retirement venues of which there are too many to count, none of which we relied upon. Rather, we relied on personal, past experiences. We encourage others to do the same.
I have met quite a few people who have retired in Arkansas and are very satisfied with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or