U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:03 PM

8,419 posts, read 9,170,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you want to stay in California, go north. If you get out of commuting distance to The Bay Area, prices begin to drop. Unfortunately, taxes remain high.
Or go east. A lot of retirees have moved to the Gold County. Great weather with four seasons. Median home price in my area is about $250K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 03:27 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,177,098 times
On or near the Central Coast, from SB County north, up to Big Sur. Then skip up north, past the Bay Area. The second zone would be on or near the coast, from the Marin-Sonoma line, up to the the Olympic Peninsula.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:15 PM

249 posts, read 197,761 times
As others suggested look north, but I'd say not so far north, you'll not like the cold. You can do lots of searching on Redfin, before getting in your car.
I'd also look at San Diego County, going past LA and Orange, then down south and sometimes a little inland will get your more for your money and still safe.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 4,570 times
Is there a place in a forest with mostly cool temps and no humidity, that gets enough sun to grow grapes, grapefruit and other fruit and vegetables? Having a waterfall or two close enough to hike to would be a plus. There are inland areas of California are like this, but the heat is intolerable. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:46 PM

21,228 posts, read 30,461,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim035 View Post
I've lived on the SoCal coast all my life, and moved to Oxnard a few years ago. I'd hoped to stay because the weather is perfect, property taxes are low, and my house will be paid off soon. However, property values never appreciated very well here and I've been told they never will. My main concern is the neighborhood isn't good and crime has increased almost 30% in the last 3 years. Ideally I'd like to live in an area like Carmel, but that's way out of my price range. I don't need a beach, but don't want the inland heat or the humidity in the eastern part of the US. Is there any place like Carmel in Calif or another state with forests and mild temps all year without the expensive price tag? Thanks.
You might look in Oregon at cities like Eugene or Corvallis. They're not "cheap" but certainly nowhere near Southern California prices.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:26 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,177,098 times
Quote:
Is there a place in a forest with mostly cool temps and no humidity, that gets enough sun to grow grapes, grapefruit and other fruit and vegetables? Having a waterfall or two close enough to hike to would be a plus. There are inland areas of California are like this, but the heat is intolerable. Thanks.
Santa Cruz County, coastside of San Mateo County.

Problem here may be the cost.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:52 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,953,704 times
Default Please tell us which quadrant of Arkansas? It's big state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Our scenic town in the Ozarks of Arkansas ( 14,000 acres,7 lakes, 2 golf courses) has many California retirees living here.

Evidently they felt that low housing costs, low taxes, and low crime rate more than compensated for a little higher humidity in summer.
I am still mapping out my itinerary for the Grand RV National Parks Tour. Could not tear myself away from 2/3 of my kidz, who are on East Coast. However, I am vitally interested in all of these places that other people have spoken about! Ozarks sound pretty high on the list, since so many speak so highly of them. Plus there's a National Park that-a-way. Two birds, as it were.

Thanks much.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:04 PM

3,457 posts, read 2,343,609 times
Quote:
Not sure that some place in a forest is ever going to get enough sun to grow citrus trees, fruit and vegetables, all of which need considerable sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or