U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2016, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Central IL
15,253 posts, read 8,568,509 times
Reputation: 35698

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I'd like to broaden my knowledge base. Please post your other favorite Retirement Forums here.

I've visited Mr Mustache, but found it to be a little too frugal for my tastes I mean, really.....who steals sugar packets from diners and then goes to the internet to brag about it. Even the Toilet Paper in the Rest Rooms is fair game for that bunch.

I was visiting a site called "Balance" but there was not much new content there.

The bogleheads make for interesting reading, but they are a little too dogmatic for me, "Why don't you increase your Bond Allocation in the face of rising Interest Rates ?!?!? How can you have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat ?!?!?!"

Morningstar requires a signup including home address and phone number -- no thanks, my phone rings all day with unsolicited baloney and the mailman brings paper versions of the same BS.


Where else do you good folks go for the variety of information we get here (including 75 pages of what Trump will do to Social Security).
Even though I have a portfolio I track on morningstar I don't remember having to give a home address and phone number...and if I did I've NEVER received any mail or calls from them.

Last edited by reneeh63; 12-09-2016 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2016, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,629 posts, read 9,703,348 times
Reputation: 11019
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I'd like to broaden my knowledge base. Please post your other favorite Retirement Forums here.

I've visited Mr Mustache, but found it to be a little too frugal for my tastes I mean, really.....who steals sugar packets from diners and then goes to the internet to brag about it. Even the Toilet Paper in the Rest Rooms is fair game for that bunch.

I was visiting a site called "Balance" but there was not much new content there.

The bogleheads make for interesting reading, but they are a little too dogmatic for me, "Why don't you increase your Bond Allocation in the face of rising Interest Rates ?!?!? How can you have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat ?!?!?!"

Morningstar requires a signup including home address and phone number -- no thanks, my phone rings all day with unsolicited baloney and the mailman brings paper versions of the same BS.


Where else do you good folks go for the variety of information we get here (including 75 pages of what Trump will do to Social Security).

I was going to post this today and your post is the perfect segue! lol It isn't a forum but a great blog written by a woman named Ronni Bennett. I've been reading it for about ten years now and she is good about keeping up to date on aging. And everything connected to it. This past week she had a blog about making friends as seniors and we had that very topic going on here. She has another one this week about social security and a whole lot more. One warning...she is a Liberal and can't stand Donald Trump so if you're a supporter don't pay any attention to that. lol The blog is well worth the reading.


Ronni's blog is....TIME GOES BY


Check it out. You might really like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2016, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Spring, Texas
137 posts, read 65,950 times
Reputation: 285
These two are very good

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

boggleheads.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2016, 06:41 PM
 
14,269 posts, read 24,029,111 times
Reputation: 20106
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post

Your links might work if they were spelled correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2016, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,956 posts, read 7,404,127 times
Reputation: 16299
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I was going to post this today and your post is the perfect segue! lol It isn't a forum but a great blog written by a woman named Ronni Bennett. I've been reading it for about ten years now and she is good about keeping up to date on aging. And everything connected to it. This past week she had a blog about making friends as seniors and we had that very topic going on here. She has another one this week about social security and a whole lot more. One warning...she is a Liberal and can't stand Donald Trump so if you're a supporter don't pay any attention to that. lol The blog is well worth the reading.


Ronni's blog is....TIME GOES BY


Check it out. You might really like it.
Thanks!! Very interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2016, 02:55 AM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
10,531 posts, read 8,786,811 times
Reputation: 12240
People are generally more open, human and thankful for feedback on C-D. The get rich early forums frequently contain a lot of bad financial advice from self-proclaimed experts. The fact is that, for most of us, it is a long and poorly maintained windy road we travel on. My only suggestion is that when you face a blind corner, slow down. Decision theory actually teaches this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2016, 02:58 AM
 
71,869 posts, read 71,942,576 times
Reputation: 49418
i think i owe about 80% of whatever i know about investing and retirement planning to the very smart contributors over at the early retirement and financial independence forum .

they have some very very smart contributors . there is also a tendency to discuss personal situations and numbers more openly which makes for some interesting scenario's . quite a few of us from here are active on those forums .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2016, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,858,884 times
Reputation: 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the most well known is the early retirement and financial independence forum . it is founded by the firecalc people . it has one of the smartest groups around when it comes to retirement planning .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I wish that early retirement would just loosen up some on allowing discussions that included partisan politics and more opinionated debates. A combination of CD-Retirement/Economics and early retirement would be awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
The early retirement board is very clickish, its their way or nothing. Not everyone is a bean counter. Part of what makes a good forum is peoples uncensored thoughts and ideas. I take a look every now and then but nothing you can't find on any other search.


Since all of these go to my point I picked them to restate here in my post. I was once on ERFI and got lambasted because I liked a particular financial company and all of them just wanted to be snobbish about it. I finally told the boggleheads on that site to remove my email and account from them. Although I did like the site. They have some very savvy investor advice.

I felt that they just were too snobbish for me once we started discussing mutual funds and investing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2016, 09:45 AM
 
Location: La Costa, California
905 posts, read 515,243 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
I wish that early retirement would just loosen up some on allowing discussions that included partisan politics and more opinionated debates.
please no. When they do, certain loud mouth right wingers overrun the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2016, 10:03 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,323 posts, read 6,382,104 times
Reputation: 9952
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
please no. When they do, certain loud mouth right wingers overrun the place.
Likewise, I left a few forums because of loud mouth left wingers. Nauseating. Lots of meme thinking.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 12-10-2016 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top