U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2016, 03:36 PM

13,235 posts, read 6,340,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
No I am not a regular poster or reader and never heard of the place until maybe a week ago. Since then I've been just window shopping and getting a feel for the place. Today I come across the --Other retirement Forums--- thread and saw something worth commenting on. Now, if I end up liking the place I might become a regular.

Guess where I heard about this place?

(How can I be a regular poster a "one post poster" at the same time?)
You create a new screen name. It's unusual to post what you posted as your first post, hence the term one post poster, it's almost sound fake. Anyway, never mind. It's not a big deal.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 03:40 PM

512 posts, read 305,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You create a new screen name. It's unusual to post what you posted as your first post, hence the term one post poster. Anyway, never mind. It's not a big deal.
I suppose there are people who "play" the technology like that but I do not think like a criminal.

Just looking for retirement/investing input from a larger audience

Old 12-17-2016, 04:10 PM

3,135 posts, read 1,726,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I'd like to broaden my knowledge base. Please post your other favorite Retirement Forums here.

I've visited Mr Mustache, but found it to be a little too frugal for my tastes I mean, really.....who steals sugar packets from diners and then goes to the internet to brag about it. Even the Toilet Paper in the Rest Rooms is fair game for that bunch.

I was visiting a site called "Balance" but there was not much new content there.

The bogleheads make for interesting reading, but they are a little too dogmatic for me, "Why don't you increase your Bond Allocation in the face of rising Interest Rates ?!?!? How can you have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat ?!?!?!"

Morningstar requires a signup including home address and phone number -- no thanks, my phone rings all day with unsolicited baloney and the mailman brings paper versions of the same BS.

Where else do you good folks go for the variety of information we get here (including 75 pages of what Trump will do to Social Security).
I am wondering what KIND of information you are looking for to widen your knowledge base that you can find only in a retirement forum.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I was going to post this today and your post is the perfect segue! lol It isn't a forum but a great blog written by a woman named Ronni Bennett. I've been reading it for about ten years now and she is good about keeping up to date on aging. And everything connected to it. This past week she had a blog about making friends as seniors and we had that very topic going on here. She has another one this week about social security and a whole lot more. One warning...she is a Liberal and can't stand Donald Trump so if you're a supporter don't pay any attention to that. lol The blog is well worth the reading.

Ronni's blog is....TIME GOES BY

Check it out. You might really like it.
Thanks for the link. It IS an an interesting blog. I like it.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:17 PM

1,362 posts, read 768,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am wondering what KIND of information you are looking for to widen your knowledge base that you can find only in a retirement forum.
cb --
Just looking for more of what we do here -- general discussions about a wide variety of things. The clearly labeled Thread Titles allow us all to join in or ignore, as we please. Just look at the list of Titles on page 1.......Social Security, 401K's, Legal Questions, Polls about this or that. Quite an array of topics.

Always want to see how others invest their assets, and how they come up with Allocations. Early Retirement is good for that sort of dialog also. bogleheads are a little too dogmatic for my taste.

Some of the other websites get bogged down in battles over the least little thing. A Political Thread is a sure way to start a skirmish. Or Religious Discussions.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:49 PM

I like and respect Bogleheads a lot. I wish I had discovered it before my husband retired. We made a lot of mistakes financially that we could have avoided. I manage our finances and Bogelhead members were very generous and wise with their advice and suggestions with many of my concerns including estate planning. My first foray into investing besides 401K (which is limited to what the company offers) was Vanguard Wellington fund and so I am in sync with the Boglehead philosophy of index mutual funds and DIY attitude anyway. It took a couple years with the forum to get where I needed to be and I feel much better about our fiances now, that we don't even think about it.

I also like their simple layout of topics and the Consumer Issues is a great place for information.

I like this forum the best in CD. But I also like to discuss politics and being a liberal is tough here in CD . Coming to Retirement forum is soothing!

Other than these two I like to visit sites that appeal to my other interests such as birding. It is a new activity for me and I have much to learn so I belong to a couple of email lists. I am surprised there is not a dedicated forum for birding here in CD. Maybe it should be a Retirement sub forum because it is the second most popular activity for retirees.

I also belong to a couple of lists that discuss literature and also devoted to women's issues. But I find they seem less and less relevant to me as my reading habits and preferences have changed.

I hope this has been informative.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:57 AM

1,362 posts, read 768,046 times
I do visit the 3 or 4 other sites mentioned on this thread for the variety of ideas. I can choose those ideas that meet my needs. I like the boglehead's Index-based theories, my only concern is that they continue to preach the "Stay the Course" mantra, even in the face of a seismic shift in the Interest Rate environment. Jack Bogle's AA recommendation was made several years ago when Bonds were still in a Bull Phase. I would not be a big Bond Holder over the near term -- I moved much of my FSITX Bonds out in October, as the Election drew near. I'll wait til the dust settles.

There's another website with some interesting ideas. I just make it another stop on my daily tour around the Interwebs.
http://awealthofcommonsense.com/
Again, you don't have to take all that he posts as Dogma. Just a different perspective.

Speaking of Birding -- this is a new hobby for me also. We have a couple of Hawks that work the fields here, especially at Noon-time. They use the cover of the high sun and their Call will scare some little creatures into running out of the underbrush. It's Lunch Time for Mr. Hawk too. There's also a Barred Owl that gets busy around sunset. He drops out of the high trees and the rodent will not hear his wings flapping until it's too late and he's locked in his talons.

cb, it's not out of the question to post birding topics here on Retirement -- other hobbies get air-time here. I bet there are other birders here too.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I like the boglehead's Index-based theories, my only concern is that they continue to preach the "Stay the Course" mantra, even in the face of a seismic shift in the Interest Rate environment. Jack Bogle's AA recommendation was made several years ago when Bonds were still in a Bull Phase. I would not be a big Bond Holder over the near term -- I moved much of my FSITX Bonds out in October, as the Election drew near. I'll wait til the dust settles.
Not to hijack this thread to talk about finance but I have read and understood Jack Bogle's theory behind the asset allocation and investing in indexed mutual funds (not individual bonds and stocks) and it makes a lot of sense to me. It is conservative, low cost, and allows for one's own sense of risk in how you allocate between equities and bond funds. It is not for those who like to play the market. it is for people like me who do not want to care that much about what the stocks are doing every day and lose sleep over it. works for me :-) I would rather go Birding

Old 12-21-2016, 02:18 PM

1,352 posts, read 732,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I like and respect Bogleheads a lot. I wish I had discovered it before my husband retired. We made a lot of mistakes financially that we could have avoided. I manage our finances and Bogelhead members were very generous and wise with their advice and suggestions with many of my concerns including estate planning.
Curious, what were the one or two things that you consider your biggest mistake early on?

Old 12-21-2016, 05:52 PM

2,167 posts, read 1,267,777 times
Yes, I was wondering the same thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or