U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:31 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,640,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I agree with you. At 74 and very limited financially, if I should ever get the dreaded diagnosis of cancer or some other terminal disease, I'm going to forget the treatment, etc. Let me have whatever life left to enjoy the things I missed. Hopefully I can squeeze them in before checking out. And yes, I will have to charge it. Condemn me if you want to. I am past caring what anyone else thinks.
I know some rich people that choose the option you mention. So it isn't just about money.
Might as well have 3 good months to having 3 years of sickness, bed ridden crap. And then die anyway. That is no quality of life.

Anyone remember Not for profit health care? I know some states have it, why can't we all. Ours was actually the blues. It's what we had before Nixon changed it.

Both my parents had cancer in the 60's. We had great health care coverage. My dads doctor flew from Atlanta into the upper midwest to do his surgery since our state had no doctor who knew how to do it. Everything was covered, saved my dads life.

Why don't people bring this up as an option. We all need health care, This is a basic need. I see it as the insurance companies making a bad choice of what to go into business doing. They could change to cover homes, cars, jewelry, etc.

UHC boss made 66 million last year. The rest of the insurance CEO's made 6 to 22 million. Got no problem with that. That extra 44 million came from somewhere. People needing treatment that didn't get it.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:41 PM

13,236 posts, read 6,340,776 times
Quote:
I agree with you. At 74 and very limited financially, if I should ever get the dreaded diagnosis of cancer or some other terminal disease, I'm going to forget the treatment, etc. Let me have whatever life left to enjoy the things I missed. Hopefully I can squeeze them in before checking out. And yes, I will have to charge it. Condemn me if you want to. I am past caring what anyone else thinks.
My mom had cancer at 61, she refused chemo and died 2 years later at age 63.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:44 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Anyone remember Not for profit health care? I know some states have it, why can't we all. Ours was actually the blues. It's what we had before Nixon changed it.

foundapeanut what happened was litigation. It may not be as simple as that but our sue happy society has given us a lot of that problem.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:57 PM

31,085 posts, read 13,607,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My mom had cancer at 61, she refused chemo and died 2 years later at age 63.
I'm very sorry to hear that, did she refuse because of the expense in treating it, or because she didn't think it would prolong her life?

My Dad had a bad heart valve, he knew he would die if he didn't have a valve replacement, but when he retired he lost his health insurance so he decided to wait until he was on medicare. Once he was on medicare it took about a year to get the tests done and the surgery scheduled, he died the night before surgery, shortly after his 66th birthday.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:59 PM

31,085 posts, read 13,607,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
foundapeanut what happened was litigation. It may not be as simple as that but our sue happy society has given us a lot of that problem.
If that's the case, then health insurance in California should all be non-profit. There has been a law on the books here since 1975 that caps malpractice claims at 250k.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:39 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,893,637 times
The bill itself is pretty tedious to weed through. I didn't see anything in there that would effect current beneficiaries other than a switch to the Chained CPI.

The most draconian cuts in the proposal, are based on an SS eligibility date of 2023. In other words, those now under 55.

There's a lot of graduated adjustments based on age, from 55 and younger. It's all based off the PIA formula, which I never understood how to calculate anyway.

There's also a section concerning repeal of the Windfall Elimination Provision. Which would benefit some with split government and private sector careers.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I thought we already have chained CPI. Obama signed something a few years back. How do you explain .3% increase for COLA?
I think this is a proposal, just like any proposal, it's not approved yet.
It never made it through congress. CPI-W is still in effect.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Hasn't this topic been beaten to death?

Trump has stated to preserve the entitlement programs. Google anything on Trump and you will see that he is not an entitlement cutting Republican. If anything, Trump is the most entitlement friendly Republican president in recent memory.

But he likes to make deals. And Paul Ryan is a willing partner.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
It's also worth mentioning that my .3% totally disappeared because they raised the Medicare premium more than .3%, So maybe Medicare doesn't count in the CPI calculation?
Medicare premiums are based off increases in healthcare costs. There's no publicly available index that tracks this, as far as I know. It is separate from the CPI, but usually is higher than the CPI.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I was chit-chatting with a fellow customer in line at a grocery store and conversation had turned to SS and how it would affect us if it is reduced or disappears. She said her husband got the .3% increase but the $5 increase for Medicare washed the SS increase out.

Now you see it, now you don't.
The best way to rationalize increases in the Part B premium, is just to look at it as another expense subtracted from your total income and budget. Because it comes directly out of SS, people have a difficult time doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or