U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 06:50 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,217,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
One of the points that has been mentioned here and glossed over by the knee jerk reaction to a bash piece is that the income levels the cuts affect. Also I do not see it being passed in its reported form for a number of reasons not the least is that many people see touching that third rail as a killer to a political career.

I for one do hope for some reform but it's current payout is probably not at issue. A raise in the cap and a continuation of the current income tax rate will be a huge help. Another help is to increase the base pool of current workers. We have a large underground economy where a number of people in labor are not paying into the system. Putting them on to the payroll by giving tax incentives to do so and by giving green cards to those who are not covered now will also go a long way.

In reality from what I have read on the SS/Medicare/Medicaid/SSDI system is the growth in the Medicaid as it is currently growing. Take that out of the equation and our system is not far off from being solvent.
Medicaid has no greater effect on Medicare than welfare cash assistance has on Social Security. IOW, none. If you are reading that the Medicaid growth is a factor in Medicare problem, you're reading what is now referred to as "fake news", i.e. propaganda.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:00 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,847,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It sounds so simple-------just take the growth out of Medicaid and everything will be fine. But tens of millions of people will have their healthcare diminished or taken away completely. I guess if they die, then they won't require any more healthcare. People in that category probably don't vote as often or they may tend to vote for the side not in the Congressional Majority right now.
You make it seem as if I am pulling the plug on 70 million people. Here is really what I want to point out I only said take the tie of Medicaid and SS and you will see that SS is much closer to solvent.

What I hate is the way politicians seem to tie something to another in riders and add-ons to bills.

So what is to do? Well first off a serious look at those on the program. Yes everyone has a story to tell. But do we have to give something away with no strings attached? Do we toss them all out on the streets? I will say absolutely no. But do we find a different way? Do we just sit back and watch the entire system break down and not do something? Do we tax the crap out of people? Do we just go to every billionaire and say give up a million a year to help pay for it? Oh how about taxing just companies out there that do business in the US? Let's say give up an additional 2% of your company's income.

All I said in my post here is to take a serious look at that program. Since the year 2000 enrollment in Medicaid has doubled and that has to mean something. The system has no funding instrument like FICA and Medicare. It comes directly from the general fund.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:07 AM

2,839 posts, read 4,991,034 times
IDK anyone who makes $50k off of SSI or SSDI.

My husband finally went on SSDI after spending a long time convincing him he needs to go on it. We are by no means rich from it. Our income has decreased significantly because of it, if those benefits were to decrease more IDK how we'd do handle it besides me trying to find a job in a LCOLA so that his benefits stretch farther.

I don't understand why SSI should be cut when money is continuously poured into it. If they reduce the benefits are we going to be paying less towards it? What do they want to do with those extra funds?

It amazes me that GOP always wants to take away from those with so little, how about they reduce their salaries, how about they reduce spending on the war? Look into budget cuts in areas that actually need to trim the fat and not areas that need to be left alone.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:11 AM

31,071 posts, read 13,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
GOP introduces plan to massively cut Social Security

Social Security checks would be cut 11% to 35% for the worker who draws $50k in benefits. All income levels would see reductions, except the very bottom (receiving about $12k), who might see a small increase.

This bill will be deliberated in 2017.

Wow. Those are stiff cuts. Many are going to fall into poverty, if this happens. If not poverty, this will drastically affect the ability of many to maintain their homes and cars and other necessities of life that they have budgeted out already.
I don't think it refers to beneficiaries who receive 50k, that's not possible, the highest benefit receivable in 2016 is $2639. What they are talking about is recipients whose SALARY averaged 50k

Old 12-11-2016, 09:14 AM

11,090 posts, read 12,473,002 times
Golly $50,000 a year in Social Security? I choose the wrong career. I get $900 a month on Social Security, and that was cut when I qualified for Medicare to pay for it.

Anyway, SS is a program WE PAID INTO, all our working lives. It's not entitlement like food stamps.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:15 AM

1,040 posts, read 485,290 times
I haven't been following this closely...will monthly SS benefits be cut for current recipients?

Old 12-11-2016, 09:29 AM

4,815 posts, read 1,987,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Sounds like suicide for the GOP. **** off everyone collecting social security and the guarantee the dems the next election.
Don't be so sure. They weren't talking about it on Meet the Press this morning. It's up to us to spread the word and if it doesn't become a fire storm, Congress will ignore us as usual.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:32 AM

4,815 posts, read 1,987,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I haven't been following this closely...will monthly SS benefits be cut for current recipients?
Here is the way that the Social Security Actuaries see it:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/solvency/SJohnson_20161208.pdf

The language is SSA specific and is confusing. However it is written by a republican congressman with no input from democrats. I don't see how we win. It also doesn't address the salary cap. That is also suspicious.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:35 AM

1,040 posts, read 485,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post

I don't understand any of that lol

Old 12-11-2016, 09:55 AM

31,071 posts, read 13,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post

The language is SSA specific and is confusing. However it is written by a republican congressman with no input from democrats. I don't see how we win. It also doesn't address the salary cap. That is also suspicious.
Go to the link, on page 22 there is a chart labeled B1, that summarizes the decreases in benefits. AIME does not mean how much in benefits you receive, it is the amount of annual wages upon which your benefit is based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or