U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:38 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I find what I do in a day varies. Some days are busy, some are not. Sometimes it depends upon how I'm feeling because of a chronic illness I have as to whether or not I want to engage in any activities. It's all loosey-goosey and I can pick and choose. As an example, yesterday I spent the better part of the day writing an essay for my writer's group and working on an article for the senior center's newsletter. Today it's a party for the residents in my building this afternoon.

For me variety is the key after mostly having to do the same-old-same-old for the better part of my work days.

I'm not "competing" with anyone, I'm just relaxing and taking my time doing what I want to do. I don't need to be running every minute to keep from being bored. I would suggest to anyone who fears bored in their retirement to just find your own personal rhythm and march to it. Don't feel you have to push yourself to find something to do every waking hour of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I think this is a good example of how we can differ in personalities and outlook. I cannot remember ever trying to find something to do. The list of things I want to do is endless.

I haven't even started to figure out what I want to do today. I need to finish my pastel artwork that I almost finished at midnight before I got too tired. I have some framing to do. I need to clean the basement work area so my daughter can use it as a bedroom when she visits next week. We are overdue for a Costco run. I want to go spent a day photographing in the greenhouses an hour from my house. I keep putting that trip off due to lack of time. The beach is two miles from the house. I keep wanting to go for sunset but never have the time. I need to "winterize" the garage by removing the liquids so they don't freeze up when we don't keep the wood stove burning. Of course, there is more including a lot of chores that I don't want to do........I don't push myself, well maybe a little, but I do try to pick and choose what I have time and energy to accomplish.

Oh. The roofer just arrived. Watching that process is interesting....
I think this is more an example of your not understanding what I'm saying. I don't see where I ever mentioned always having to find things to do. I said they come and go. But actually I do sometimes try to find new things that interest me to do because otherwise I believe life would be very stagnant continually doing the same-old-same-old whether it's at work or in retirement.

My comment was addressed to the OP who was asking "What do you do to keep busy?" and others who have asked for suggestions as to where or how to find things to do in retirement. It's understandable because often people want to fill the time they formerly spent during the work day. Not everyone has a guarantee of each day being filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:44 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think this is more an example of your not understanding what I'm saying. I don't see where I ever mentioned always having to find things to do. I said they come and go. But actually I do sometimes try to find new things that interest me to do because otherwise I believe life would be very stagnant continually doing the same-old-same-old whether it's at work or in retirement.

My comment was addressed to the OP who was asking "What do you do to keep busy?" and others who have asked for suggestions as to where or how to find things to do in retirement. It's understandable because often people want to fill the time they formerly spent during the work day. Not everyone has a guarantee of each day being filled.
I agree about doing different things. Not being a life long doer of XYZ. That's not me. Family members ask me why I no longer grow flowering plants - I say - done that and done. On to the next thing. Kind of like on to the next husband or wife - just kidding.

Right now I am stuck in a rut due to family and pet responsibilities. But then, who knows what my life would be like without them - maybe not greener on the other side.

So my previous post was done to vent. Sorry.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:46 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
I think of my retired life now more on a weekly basis than a daily basis. If I know I'm going to an event, that sets me up for satisfaction for a few days or as much as a week. The rest is what I did before I retired, only at a more leisurely pace. Tasks like shopping and cleaning, while working, were a PIA. Now that I can do these when I feel like it and without pressure, I actually enjoy much of it. "Filler" time between doing more important stuff like an event is doing a little distance client work, reading, writing, and the grandkids 1 day week. In other words, my activity time is diluted rather than frenzied as when I was working the day job.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:50 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
Young retiree. I exercise every day. Either run 4-6 miles. Bike 10, swim, kayak, just started weight training. My 55+ community has a great fitness facility and pools. Local state park has bike, kayak, running spots.

I'm reading books that I never made time for when working. Mostly literature, classic novels Salinger Fitzgerald, Steinbeck.

Got tired of golf. Played it for decades.

Occasionally tennis. Finding partners is tough.

Attend symphony, Broadway season tickets. Pro sports as well.

Have projects around the house - procrastinate on those.

Very small travel trailer for FL state parks, national parks visits, civil war battlegrounds....

Old 12-16-2016, 11:01 AM

34,691 posts, read 33,695,295 times
I wake up every morning when I don't have a morning appointment/event/meeting and read the news on various websites and comment on the stories. Then I open my e-mail and follow the link on my daily Fun Trivia e-mail to do some daily quizzes arranged by category. They are multiple choice or matching. You get more points if you are fast and right. I consider it a memory exercise. Then I go to CD. That's my daily morning regimen (news, trivia quizzes, CD) unless I have to be somewhere in the morning.

I spent all morning editing photos, today, that I took Wednesday when I was outdoors for 5 hours. Winter is seagull migration time so I spend a lot of time at the lake in the winter. It's ugly out there, today, or I'd be out taking photos (my hobby) today, too. Yesterday (Thursday) morning my nonfiction book group met up the road from where I live. We go out to lunch afterwards but I skipped lunch this time because I was tired.

Tuesday, I had a morning doctor appointment (Welcome To Medicare! ) and then went grocery shopping. My one camera club meets once a month (this week). This week I also picked out nature photos I will submit for a salon in January for my second camera club (nature specific).

I am currently planning a road trip in the Spring and I am researching what I want to photograph and what I am able to photograph. This will take me probably 2-3 months to complete because I'm thorough/anal about detail. I still have one Christmas gift to buy and I have to select and register for any classes I may want to take Feb - May. My retiree classes are over now until Feb.

On a negative note: Sometime today, I have to take all of the dishes out of my dishwasher and wash them by hand because the dishwasher broke. Maintenance will be called next week to fix it.

I watch TV after 4PM and read books then, too.

Now, this may not describe an exciting week for most people but, I'm not bored. Now, I better buy that last gift.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:30 AM

983 posts, read 761,844 times
"Tasks like shopping and cleaning, while working, were a PIA. Now that I can do these when I feel like it and without pressure, I actually enjoy much of it."

Exactly. I got up late (8 am) this morning, took a leisurely shower and started a load of laundry. I've been reading the online news, and will soon clean out the wood stove, start a fire, and bring over a few loads of firewood. I also plan on making bread, cleaning the kitchen, and relaxing with a good book for a while. Nothing terribly exciting, but since I am not trying to do those activities while also working, life is pleasant and low stress.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:06 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/yo...ment.html?_r=0

I thought this was interesting. Early retirement and feeling bored and isolated

Old 12-27-2016, 08:59 AM

5,785 posts, read 4,838,667 times
We've been retired since the end of 2010. At first we worked to prep our house for sale, catching up on deferred maintenance like painting the house, the garage, the barn, etc... Then we sold the house and moved and now we have so many choices of things to do. For exercise we can golf, play pickleball, swim, hike, do yardwork, etc. We do projects like painting a room, we visit antique stores and flea markets to find treasures to round out our décor. I do craft projects to make gifts for others or things for myself. I may someday start a project to produce items for charity, or to sell and donate the money to charity. We take the boat out with friends to swim or fish. We take short trips to places we've never been that are less than a day's drive. We belong to a couple of clubs that take day trips and overnights. We have friends whom we dine out with or do dinners, picnics, or campfires with. We are starting to travel a bit more now that we no longer have to board our dogs. I'm looking forward to more of that. I also enjoy cooking and creating in the kitchen. I have all the time in the world to fool with homemade bread and pasta, and of course we all have routine housework, shopping , etc to do.

DH enjoys tinkering with our vehicles and keeping them running at their best. He is teaching himself welding, so he has fun practicing that, and making projects. He has friends that he likes to ride motorcycles with, or go to car events.

I have just volunteered to do PR and event work for a local charity that trains mobility service dogs for disabled veterans. When the weather improves and the holidays are passed, I will be a lot more active with them. It's great to be able to set my own priorities and fill my time as I chose and not try to cram a week's worth of chores, shopping, recreation, and family obligations into a 2 day weekend. If I'm ever bored...well that's on me. If I can't find something to do at any given time, I'd have to be completely devoid of imagination or lying to myself.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:05 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
Shopping, cleaning, and doing laundry:

Still working full time or completely retired, shopping, cleaning, and doing laundry are disagreeable chores to me. I dislike them no matter how much time is available for them. I do them because there is no reasonable alternative. The only pleasure is the thought, "Ah, that's done now".

Old 12-28-2016, 10:02 AM

8,787 posts, read 7,707,284 times
Since arriving in arizona, we have been amazed at the number of things to see and do. There's no way we'll be able to do it all in one winter season visit. Part of finding things to do is visiting new places. It's cheaper than you think. Try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement