U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 07:34 AM

1,183 posts, read 763,984 times

Advertisements

not everyone has this option but i take classes at the local university. the state i'm in allows for seniors to audit classes for $15/class. i take classes i didn't have room for in my program the first time around. attending class and the assigned reading keeps me busy. plus no stress of having to do tests/papers. best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 07:43 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,872,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am always sad when I read that a retiree is looking for activities to kill time. All I can think of is their lives have become empty and they are just waiting to die.

Little Dolphin explained some alternatives. After retirement it is time to explore new opportunities for growth, for accomplishment and for achievement. Hopefully those opportunities will make your life better and help to improve the world.
Yes, I agree, it can be sad. But I've often found it's simply a temporary lack of imagination and a bit of sadness at transitioning from a "paid" avocation before choosing an "unpaid" avocation.

Haven't you seen some hard-working retirees positively bloom into joyful humans enjoying their lives as never before? Lovely to see. Takes a bit of gumption. And it's okay to "mourn" the transition for a bit before getting excited about the new possibilities.

I've served several friends as an unofficial "coach" during their transition...helps to have support sometimes.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:59 AM

7,284 posts, read 4,162,134 times
I wish I had time to be bored. Since I retired two and a half years ago I find I have way less free time than I ever did while still working. I simply don't have time to do everything I want or need to do. In this day and age, there are so many activities available, that there is no reason anyone should ever be bored.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:22 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,418,971 times
I retired about three years ago and have been spending my time reading, summer touring in my C-5 Corvette, riding my big scooter, being on my condo Board of Directors, watching too much "How its Made" on TV and way, too much time on CD sharing my humble opinions with the rest of you.

BTW - I do not miss work or the 2.5 hour commute even a little bit.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:27 AM

6,307 posts, read 4,755,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yes, I agree, it can be sad. But I've often found it's simply a temporary lack of imagination and a bit of sadness at transitioning from a "paid" avocation before choosing an "unpaid" avocation.

Haven't you seen some hard-working retirees positively bloom into joyful humans enjoying their lives as never before? .........
Unfortunately I have seen way more people wither and die after retiring. In fact the statistics show there is a high risk of dying within a couple of years of retiring. Some people hit the ground running and have endless things they want to do. I suppose some others go through a transition period and then come alive. I have not seen that. Many people just seem to drift through life, working and doing what they must. After retirement, they just continue to drift, only the direction is downhill.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:44 AM

3,305 posts, read 2,330,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Unfortunately I have seen way more people wither and die after retiring. In fact the statistics show there is a high risk of dying within a couple of years of retiring. Some people hit the ground running and have endless things they want to do. I suppose some others go through a transition period and then come alive. I have not seen that. Many people just seem to drift through life, working and doing what they must. After retirement, they just continue to drift, only the direction is downhill.

Some people have no life outside of work. Their work has been their whole life. Once retiring, they are lost and can as you say go downhill. We had a few retire only to come back when there was an opening. They said golfing gets old after a while, and fishing too. I have seen a few after retiring just start looking old really fast. There is something to be said with keeping you mind and you body busy.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:48 AM

13,286 posts, read 6,362,704 times
I travel and garden. Exercise is also my top priority. I get less stress from not commuting. Plus I have CNBC on most of the time. If I'm bored, I go on CD forum.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:49 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,643,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Anything I darn well please. So far it is golf and house projects. In a few years it will be global travel. After that I haven't got plans for. Currently the golf and house projects are spaced out to go over a 5 year plan. Global travel will start in 2 years and probably go on for 10+ years.
Why wait for the global travel? The older you get the harder it is to travel. I've travel globally often, still do.
Not retired but we own our own business and can afford competent staff so that doesn't hold us back.

But hubs (69) is starting to feel exhausted after running in and out of airports and countries. Yes, cruise ships are great for this situation but oceans and rivers aren't always where you want to be. And I'm not a fan of more than one sea day at a time.

Something to think about, you can always play golf and work on your house when you can no longer travel.
I've seen too many people plan traveling and something happens and they never make it.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:54 AM

154 posts, read 401,876 times
I have no problem being retired while my spouse is not retired yet. I really enjoy myself immensely. He does get a generous vacation package though, so we are able to travel together. I have just enough friends that are available during the weekdays so that I don't get lonely. I joined a book club and a board games club, so those meet once every few weeks. I love these groups. I have a few hobbies I can do on my own at home. I did a LOT of research and found a whole network of free events and classes at libraries. How wonderful!
I live near two universities, and I haven't even begun to tap into all that is available to do there, and a lot of it is free also.
I keep planning on doing volunteer work again, but haven't even had time yet for this! Also, I am cooking and working out every day and that is very enjoyable. None of these things cost much money, except of course, for our vacations.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:15 AM

4,166 posts, read 2,595,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
So how do you keep busy when retired or semi retired. What activies do you do. Please any suggestions especially since my spouse is still working. When did you retire age wise Thanks
Activities:
- Gardening and landscaping. We moved to a 2 acre piece of land and I really enjoy fixing it up. We have cleared a lot of it and planted 20+ fruit trees. We grow a lot of our food.

- My wife took up painting as a hobby.

- Outdoor stuff, hiking, swimming, I took up bird watching.

- Wood working, building furniture. I was doing this as a hobby before I retired.

- Some volunteering.

- Lots of reading. Crossword puzzles and Sudoku.

I can tell you I would have gone nuts if we stayed living in the city and house that we lived and worked from for 30 years. It was fine for a busy working life but for me, I knew retiring there would not work. I am not a city person, I need open space. So we moved as soon as we retired. We planned for it long in advance and bought the house we moved to a year before we pulled the plug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement