Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 04:46 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
Turning 66 in may 2017 but layed off at 65 Sept 2016 from my job. I am looking for part time job 2 days a week to keep a little busy but no luck so far. Problem is I am bored and have too much time off on hand right now, but I will never go back to work full time again. Life is too short to work full time to 70(my opinion)

So how do you keep busy when retired or semi retired. What activies do you do. Please any suggestions especially since my spouse is still working. When did you retire age wise Thanks
How about trying something new? Try learning to play the guitar for instance. You're never too old to learn a few chords and play for your own enjoyment.

I keep hearing there are places begging for volunteers but I haven't found them yet so that's an alternative to sitting around bored to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 05:06 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I read current events, technology related news, trade stocks and follow economic events. I also cook and stay on City Data.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:58 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I could possibly be having a bout of self-pity right now (sorry), but as I read these posts I am seeing a lot of couples. And I am quite envious.

I've been alone for a very long time, never remarried after divorce, kids on their own and no relationship with them, sisters and parents dead. While Christmas is a joyous time of year to think of Jesus (if you are a believer). Time to be grateful, etc.

But sometimes the other feelings smack me in the face and I feel miserable.

Tomorrow is another day.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
When one spouse is retired and the other isn't, I have seen less than desirable outcomes. You are probably better off continuing working until your spouse can also retire.
I disagree. Mrs5150 is still working and all is well. I hope she continues to do so for another five years. Been retired for a year.

So I do most of the housework. Other than that, bike, walk, do music, volunteer at a social service organization. Do errands, Health club.

But I will say this; went thru a period of adjustment which was a little difficult at times. Six months into retirement got anxious and a little bored until I found myself and settled into this new phase of life. Got support from a couple of friends who also went thru a similar adjustment period.I knew working, even part time was not the answer. Working only meant I'd have to repeat the adjustment process. No I am fine and I could see doing something very part time. In a year or two. I like not working.

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-10-2016 at 06:42 PM..

Old 12-10-2016, 06:28 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
I ended up becoming the President of our HOA. I was considering volunteering with the Small Business Association since I started and ran my own business for 25 years when the opportunity on the board of directors presented itself.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:34 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
It isn't lack of tasks to do, for me. It's just feeling tired a lot and have pain too often. Not to mention watching DH suffer even more than I do, that's what really gets me down. It's easy to make all these suggestions. But when you very rarely have opportunities to do what you'd like, THAT kind of makes them the suggestions useless.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:24 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I try to keep busy/active. How I do it is not the issue but just doing something is the issue versus sit on one's a$$ all day. Get up and out of the house. Go do something like golf, tennis, bowling, volunteer work, walking, part time job, work on cars, go to breakfast/lunch with a group, etc. It does not matter what you do, just get off your a$$ and go do it.

All that typing tired me out. I need a drink

Old 12-10-2016, 07:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Wife still working? Pfft. Lucky you. Like someone else said..."explore your passions." That's what a lot of guys around here do all day. Just make sure you're home and well bathed before she gets home. Cleaning house, cooking dinner, and maybe picking her up from work are good guises. Enjoy!

Old 12-10-2016, 07:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Go back to work, you sound like you need that in your life. I am the same way, retired twice and now work 40 hours per week and love it. My health (both mental and physical) are much better, and I have purpose in my life again.

I have known too many people who retired and who wilted. Lots of them died soon after. You can only play with your toys so much before that gets old , and the extra income isn't all that bad either. If you are married, your spouse doesn't want you hanging around the house all day either.

Go find a job, they are out there. I originally went back to work a day a week, maybe two, but they kept giving me more days, and now I am there full time. You will not regret it.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:32 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Just an idea.....

We're looking at perhaps adopting 1-2 foster children. We have two adopted children who are now grown and out of the house. Unfortunately, the adoption didn't work out and we are "estranged". If we "adopted" again it would be on a foster care basis. The state would provide a stipend, medical care, etc. I wouldn't be doing it for the money, but to give meaning to a child's life. Of course, this would require a lot of counseling beforehand, to help make sure I wouldn't make the same mistakes. Like I say, this would not be an actual adoption, but a foster care situation Its an idea other retirees might just want to consider. You would start by contacting your state dept of family and protective services to find out how to proceed. Please, no flames! I'm NOT looking at inserting myself in a child's life as a hobby. Its just something to consider......its not for everyone, might not be for me

Another possibility---provide foster care for animals. I have a friend who does this. She fosters cats, abused, orphaned kittens, etc. She can decide how many and when. The shelter pays for her cat food, supplies, vet bills, etc. She provides love, and helps them to adjust to humans so they can be adopted. Again, not for everyone, but something to consider.....

Some other ideas.....a garden, cooking, crafts.....

I currently work from home as a telephone sales/customer service rep. Perhaps expand on that.

All ideas............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement