U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:04 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I had plenty of boring days when I worked. In comparison, I prefer the retirement boring days. Can always think of something to make them less boring or not boring at all. When I worked and was bored, I was stuck.
Absolutely, positively. Not having anything to do never drove me crazy. I like just sitting still at times. I like having nothing to do sometimes. What did drive me crazy was some of the boring jobs I had to do when I was working. At work I had to be doing something all the time. That drove me crazy.

At home in retirement I can choose to have nothing to do whenever I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 10:06 AM

5,341 posts, read 7,213,018 times
Go for long walks with a pet and/or a camera. Puzzle books. Local library - reading. Take a class on how to do something. Check out local nature center activities - ours has seasonal crafting, hikes, canning, gardening, homesteading, astronomy, etc. - all for very cheap. Volunteer somewhere.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:47 AM

13,221 posts, read 6,320,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Go for long walks with a pet and/or a camera. Puzzle books. Local library - reading. Take a class on how to do something. Check out local nature center activities - ours has seasonal crafting, hikes, canning, gardening, homesteading, astronomy, etc. - all for very cheap. Volunteer somewhere.
I love going to the library. In fact, when I was younger and poorer, that was my favorite activity.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:27 PM

1,040 posts, read 484,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Absolutely, positively. Not having anything to do never drove me crazy. I like just sitting still at times. I like having nothing to do sometimes. What did drive me crazy was some of the boring jobs I had to do when I was working. At work I had to be doing something all the time. That drove me crazy.

Exactly! People are so uncomfortable with "doing nothing" these days. It's like sitting still is just too much to handle!!

Old 12-11-2016, 01:31 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,898,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Exactly! People are so uncomfortable with "doing nothing" these days. It's like sitting still is just too much to handle!!
I am sooooo good at it now, I should teach a class. Except it would be too much like work!

Old 12-11-2016, 03:26 PM

5,941 posts, read 5,298,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Go back to work, you sound like you need that in your life. I am the same way, retired twice and now work 40 hours per week and love it. My health (both mental and physical) are much better, and I have purpose in my life again.

I have known too many people who retired and who wilted. Lots of them died soon after. You can only play with your toys so much before that gets old , and the extra income isn't all that bad either. If you are married, your spouse doesn't want you hanging around the house all day either.

Go find a job, they are out there. I originally went back to work a day a week, maybe two, but they kept giving me more days, and now I am there full time. You will not regret it.

If people die soon after retirement they were most likely sick when they retired.

If playing with the toys gets old BUY NEW TOYS!

Why would a person hang around the house all day? Go places. Do things. Why is the spouse at home? They should get out too!

A person taking a job because of boredom is taking a job from another person that probably needs it.

Most people have a purpose in life. It doesn't require having a job. Sounds like self esteem issues.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:25 PM

10,531 posts, read 15,586,917 times
Learn how to use Google?

https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+kee...ter+retirement

Also, why actually "keep yourself busy"? What for? You already lost yey many years being a slave to work. You have clear destination in front of you. Maybe it's time to actually STOP all pointless activities and dedicate time - as you have it now - to prepare your self to that destination?

Old 12-11-2016, 04:30 PM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

Most people have a purpose in life........
Judging by many of the posts and from my experience, I do not believe this is correct. A great many people drift through life without a lot of conscious direction or plans or goals beyond getting by. They go to work, raise kids, and eventually quit working and retire. After retirement the lack of goals leaves them looking for something to do. As described that means keeping busy to avoid going crazy.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:35 PM

31,630 posts, read 19,955,234 times
Early retiree at 48 and my husband should join me next year. Because he is still working I am in charge of errands, cooking and cleaning and all that stuff.

It is impossible for me to be bored!! In addition to house stuff I plant various edible plants, I'm always learning new cuisines and trying new ingredients. I try to specialize in healthy eating that tastes great.

Then I am into photography, I go to meet-ups, take classes and do photo shoots for friends kids. Lots of reading and practicing.

Was on the HOA Board, but didn't need the aggravation.

I bought a sewing machine, been studying up on it but haven't sewn anything yet.

I crochet, which is such a weird hobby for me because I live in a tropical climate. Relatives on the mainland get blankets and scarves.

Every morning I get up around 6am and go to the gym for an hour workout.

I should spend more time going to beach, riding my bike etc. I will get to it.

I wanted to take classes at the community college but it was like $150 per credit. That's ridiculous.

We usually take 2 or 3 trips a year, but hope to extend that when DH retires.

Never ever bored!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 12-11-2016, 08:41 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,948 times
I don't need to keep busy to keep from going crazy. I most like having no ''agendas'' and freedom to be spontaneous and creative in how I spend my time. I have worked mostly part-time and done contract work from home these past 8 years, so flexibility in my daily life is not new to me. I've been independent for the most part from an employer and would never go back to being ''on a clock'' for any one. I have many hobbies and interests and the freedom to explore and do them plus the freedom to do some traveling or just take a nap when I feel like it is the best stuff about retirement. When I think about it I am like a kid at Christmas-just 4 more months until I get my SS! Meanwhile I struggle along at a flexible, work from home part-time job that does bring in a bit, but things will be so much less stressful that way in the spring. Looking forward to it all so much. I am already planning to relocate back to country living, get a more reliable car for travel, take some trips out west, and just feel the freedom of it all. I am even trimming down my wardrobe to just jeans and play clothes and thinking of doing something crazy bold with my hair. Just because I can now and ''looking professional'' is just a memory. Maybe even a tattoo!? LOL Who knows? I feel younger and more free than in my 20s!Many interests: reading, writing, blogging, photography, riding bike on rail trails and big scooter on backroads, cooking, antiques and picking and selling, floral delivery, gardening, hiking, golf, birding, historical research, paranormal investigations, hanging out with my dog pals, and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement