Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times

Advertisements

We moved into an RV and have been on the go since Oct. 1 this year. Now were in AZ for the winter, but plenty to do and see in this area. Plus we have laundry, shopping, etc. and a variety of activities at our RV park. At this point, I'd enjoy a day or two with nothing just so I could slow down and do nothing for a few days or a week, but we've still go plenty to keep us busy. But all in all we're having a great time and love not being in the snow and cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 03:13 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We moved into an RV and have been on the go since Oct. 1 this year. Now were in AZ for the winter, but plenty to do and see in this area. Plus we have laundry, shopping, etc. and a variety of activities at our RV park. At this point, I'd enjoy a day or two with nothing just so I could slow down and do nothing for a few days or a week, but we've still go plenty to keep us busy. But all in all we're having a great time and love not being in the snow and cold.
That's awesome. We want to get an RV in a few years and travel. What do you feel are the pros- and cons-?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-14-2016, 03:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Default Some Days In The Life Of Minerva

My "purposeful" last two days

Tuesday:
  1. Play reading group
  2. Writer's Group
  3. Coffee with friend

Wednesday:
  1. Sit on couch purposely rubbing cat belly
  2. Did a little laundry
  3. Back to cat while watching "Too Cute" on Animal Planet
  4. Evening going to watch last episode of "Survivor." Who will win the million dollars?

Thursday:

Dunno. Got some pictures to hang

Friday:
  1. Attend party to celebrate building remodel finished
  2. Help out pet food distribution to people needing supplies in emergencies

Sunday:
  1. Attend concert at library in afternoon
  2. Attend music gathering listening to some residents perform

Everyday, do some reading, check out the Internet and do a little housework, watch some TV.

Boring to some, Heaven to me. Activities scaled to what I have the energy and capability of doing. Retirement to me is doing what I want to do when I want to do it and doing what I can. I'm not out to change the world, just live in it enjoying myself as I go along. Sometimes I wind up helping others as well. I never stop learning as I go along just living life.

The last thing I want is to frantically plan using someone else's schedule or agenda as to what I should be doing with the latter part of my life. I had enough of that all my working years during the first part.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:02 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's awesome. We want to get an RV in a few years and travel. What do you feel are the pros- and cons-?
When I retired, my wife and I sold the house and took off in a small RV. We did indeed do a lot of traveling including the major national parks in the western US. We rarely stopped at an RV park and never sat in one for more than a few days. In fact we never stopped anywhere more than a week or so.

Cons
You need to handle your previous house, sell or rent. Selling is easier and cleaner unless you really want to return to that house and area.
You will have relatively little space in most RVs. That means not having space for many activities. How small you go is a matter of preference. Some people want to travel in a big RV but then the costs are high, you pretty much have to live in RV parks and you cannot easily travel.
A lot of travel can be very disorienting. I often woke up not having any idea where I was. Plan on taking about 3 months to get used to the RV lifestyle before you will even be able to determine if it suits you.
RV travel can be really tough or impossible for someone with major health issues. It can be worse to deal with any major health issue that occurs while you are traveling.
You will need to rearrange your life so it is as electronic as possible. Getting mail is difficult unless you plan ahead and stay in the same area for a while.
You will be alone. Part of my 2 years of full timing my wife spent helping our older daughter deal with an 2 year old and a newborn. There were days I spoke to no one. I just had conversations with the cat and she was not a big talker. When she did talkm she seemed obsessed with the same subject .... the former communist leader of China.

Pros
We saw lots of extremely beautiful areas. We moved with the seasons and avoided bad weather.
As photographers we kept memories in our heads and on our images.
We got plenty of exercise hiking and walking trails.
RV travel was a lot less expensive than my previous house living. That can vary a lot but I had a house with high property taxes and high utility bills and I still had a mortgage. I spent about $7/day for camping fees (senior pass for half price at national parks and lots of free camping). Electricity was from solar panels or on rare occasions from a generator. Generator gas was about $5/mo. Cooking, hot water and heat were from propane. A $20 tank refill lasted an average of about 4-6 weeks. Diesel fuel was my main cost. That was probably less expensive than you might suppose. I had some long drives but on most days I drove just a few miles to different locations in the same area.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Wednesday:
  1. Sit on couch purposely rubbing cat belly
  2. Did a little laundry
  3. Back to cat while watching "Too Cute" on Animal Planet
  4. Evening going to watch last episode of "Survivor." Who will win the million dollars?
Today is Wednesday. Here is what I did:

1. Went over details with a the roofer who is just starting a shingling job on our house. He found a problem that needed a plumber so I had to deal with that on an emergency basis.
  2. I am doing an art project. I have been a photographer but am expanding my creative skills to include painting. Actually, I am doing charcoal and pastels. I worked about 2 hours on that project.
  3. Wife and I went to a holiday luncheon with 200 fellow students.
  4. Will help baby sit one of the grandkids around dinner time.
  5. Checked on internet forums, emails, and one of my investments.
  6. Fixed an issue with the refrigerator water and installed a new filter.
  7. Plan on working on my art again this evening, maybe another 2 hours.
  8. Will lift weights while watching TV.
  9. Need to get my archery gear ready for going to the practice range tomorrow. I am thinking of buying some gear at the range tomorrow so I need to do an internet search for user reviews.
  10. I don't usually count laundry as an activity, but I will throw a load in the washer this evening.

To each his own.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:26 AM

294 posts, read 293,149 times
I actually don't know how I ever had time to work full-time. Some of the things that I and/or my husband like to do:

1. Surf the internet and visit online forums (like here!)

2. Read (mostly Kindle books)

3. Play World of Warcraft

4. Play Hearthstone

5. Take care of and pet our pets

6. Exercise - walk, exercise bike, elliptical, strength training. Either at home or at the Y.

7. Go out to eat.

8. Take care of the budget and manage finances.

9. I write a blog and moderate a couple of online forums.

10. Work on genealogy.

The above things more than fill the day.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:19 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I find what I do in a day varies. Some days are busy, some are not. Sometimes it depends upon how I'm feeling because of a chronic illness I have as to whether or not I want to engage in any activities. It's all loosey-goosey and I can pick and choose. As an example, yesterday I spent the better part of the day writing an essay for my writer's group and working on an article for the senior center's newsletter. Today it's a party for the residents in my building this afternoon.

For me variety is the key after mostly having to do the same-old-same-old for the better part of my work days.

I'm not "competing" with anyone, I'm just relaxing and taking my time doing what I want to do. I don't need to be running every minute to keep from being bored. I would suggest to anyone who fears bored in their retirement to just find your own personal rhythm and march to it. Don't feel you have to push yourself to find something to do every waking hour of the day.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:36 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:

For me variety is the key after mostly having to do the same-old-same-old for the better part of my work days.

I'm not "competing" with anyone, I'm just relaxing and taking my time doing what I want to do. I don't need to be running every minute to keep from being bored. I would suggest to anyone who fears bored in their retirement to just find your own personal rhythm and march to it. Don't feel you have to push yourself to find something to do every waking hour of the day.
The two bolded statements both hit the nail squarely on the head!

For me, volunteer work is three days a week, as more would be too much and I don't want to burn out on stuff I love doing. Even within the three days, there is variety, because I go to four different schools, two elementary and two middle schools.

Being president of the homeowners' association involves its own demands which are not entirely predictable. Mostly I enjoy the challenges involved.

The live classical music concerts I attend do not follow a very regular schedule; I attend what attracts me the most, and there is always more of that around Christmas time.

I feel fortunate in having found my own personal rhythm.

Nice way to express things, Minervah!

Old 12-16-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
...... Don't feel you have to push yourself to find something to do every waking hour of the day.

I think this is a good example of how we can differ in personalities and outlook. I cannot remember ever trying to find something to do. The list of things I want to do is endless.

I haven't even started to figure out what I want to do today. I need to finish my pastel artwork that I almost finished at midnight before I got too tired. I have some framing to do. I need to clean the basement work area so my daughter can use it as a bedroom when she visits next week. We are overdue for a Costco run. I want to go spent a day photographing in the greenhouses an hour from my house. I keep putting that trip off due to lack of time. The beach is two miles from the house. I keep wanting to go for sunset but never have the time. I need to "winterize" the garage by removing the liquids so they don't freeze up when we don't keep the wood stove burning. Of course, there is more including a lot of chores that I don't want to do........I don't push myself, well maybe a little, but I do try to pick and choose what I have time and energy to accomplish.

Oh. The roofer just arrived. Watching that process is interesting....

Old 12-16-2016, 08:23 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Well another day and night of caregiving has ended. Gee - no way there is a chance of being bored. Lol.

You people without sickly ones amongst your close relatives, count yourselves lucky!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement