Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:32 PM

212 posts, read 819,953 times

Advertisements

Turning 66 in may 2017 but layed off at 65 Sept 2016 from my job. I am looking for part time job 2 days a week to keep a little busy but no luck so far. Problem is I am bored and have too much time off on hand right now, but I will never go back to work full time again. Life is too short to work full time to 70(my opinion)

So how do you keep busy when retired or semi retired. What activies do you do. Please any suggestions especially since my spouse is still working. When did you retire age wise Thanks

Last edited by captnemo; 12-09-2016 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 12:20 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,376,584 times
When one spouse is retired and the other isn't, I have seen less than desirable outcomes. You are probably better off continuing working until your spouse can also retire.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:51 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,262,905 times
I got into making crafts and am just getting into selling them. I will be selling at the farmer's market next summer. Keeps me busy and it's fun to be creative. I enjoy chatting with customers and other vendors.

I have a hard time with groups - as in volunteer groups, etc. I don't like dealing with group dynamics. But, if you are at all interested in volunteering, believe me, you could be kept way busier than you'd ever want to be, if you start offering your time.

One volunteer option I do enjoy, is helping out at the local food banks. It's easy, mindless work, and leaves you feeling good.

So, get into a hobby and/or look into a volunteer opportunity that would be a good fit for you.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:54 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,174,893 times
Not retiring until next year, but I have every day planned for the following 5 years after that- with activities that could easily turn into alternate careers if I'm not careful. Your profile is not filled out, but I was able to see from your posts that you had done accounting for companies. If you enjoyed it, there are lots and lots of small businesses that need accounting advice. You could consult on a part time basis to help guide them through accounting packages, and make quite good part-time money. Learn how to implement open-source accounting packages, maybe help people set them up, perhaps? How about a personal accounting blog for small businesses? That could draw traffic to you for some consulting. Don't know where you live, so don't know the small business climate there. Other than that there are a million of other hobbies that don't cost an arm and a leg that are a blast. DW and I are in a rock-hounding club and have been with the members in the bottom of mines, in fossil beds pulling amazing creatures from the past into the light. Cost is nothing except travel, and the gatherings with families is fun. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2016, 06:53 AM

8,218 posts, read 8,536,627 times
I keep busy as I want to be. Of all the things I do now not one was planned. I never thought I would be doing these things and the things I thought I would be doing are of no interest to me now.

Think of retirement as a new life not a continuation of the old. If you do the same things as before except for work you will be bored. Doing the same things as before but for 8 more hours a day doesn't seem very good to most people.

Get out, meet people, and try new things.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:10 AM

6,532 posts, read 6,984,568 times
Anything I darn well please. So far it is golf and house projects. In a few years it will be global travel. After that I haven't got plans for. Currently the golf and house projects are spaced out to go over a 5 year plan. Global travel will start in 2 years and probably go on for 10+ years.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:12 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,893,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
When one spouse is retired and the other isn't, I have seen less than desirable outcomes. You are probably better off continuing working until your spouse can also retire.
Bada Bing! I have a neighbor going back to work for that reason

Old 12-10-2016, 07:13 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,297,022 times
Been retired now for years. I have never been bored. I made the decision to do all my own maintenance of my cars and home when I retired. As an example, today I'm making a trip 30 miles into town to shop and then when I get home I have 2 more drum brakes that need repair on my Bronco. I keep a log of all the repairs I do and how much the same repair would be if I had a "professional" do it. When I see how much I save it's very motivating.

Last year I had saved $9500 for 2015.

It's a rare day when I don't have anything to do.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:28 AM

7,056 posts, read 12,565,197 times
Lucky you! This is your time to explore your passions. How exciting for you! Shaping your days is up to you and very personal. Here are my suggestions for a fulfilling "retirement."

Choose something for your body (what exercise/sport/outdoor activity is enjoyable for you?)

Choose something for your mind (what interests you --is there a new skill or body of knowledge you want to delve into? Are there classes offered in adult education near you? Learning keeps your mind supple. Or would you prefer to teach your life skills to benefit others?)

Choose something for your spirit (how can you help contribute to a better world? Start with your own community/neighborhood. What needs doing? What volunteer work appeals to you? Giving back is food for the spirit.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:29 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,073,479 times
I am always sad when I read that a retiree is looking for activities to kill time. All I can think of is their lives have become empty and they are just waiting to die.

Little Dolphin explained some alternatives. After retirement it is time to explore new opportunities for growth, for accomplishment and for achievement. Hopefully those opportunities will make your life better and help to improve the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement