U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 09:45 AM

29,779 posts, read 34,863,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that portfolio balance is wht gives us choices in life .

money may not buy happiness but it sure buys choices . like when medicaid wants to put you in a bed 100 miles away from your family .

sure , we all love to say the dough ain't important , especially if we have little but one of the worst feelings in the world is when you want to make a choice but have no choice because you lack the funds to have a choice .

that is a story i have seen repeat over and over , including in my own life
Add me to the money buys happiness list. If you are chilled and content and happy as a person money provides mucho opportunities to express and feel that happiness. If you are a sour puss money may not help that vacation make you feel and express happiness but if you have the basis for already!
Bada Bing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Yes.

But there is more to life than our portfolio balance.
So very true and our portfolio balance helps us to experience many of the happy things in life. Aren't there things you would like to do and experience beyond what your current finances would allow? Travel, entertainment, dining, recreation, visiting friends and family, vacations, different climates etc

Old 12-19-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I'm sure there is but can we stop lecturing people if we're happy, truly, who cares.
Hmmm what about not lecturing people because they our happy? Isn't happiness something we express and exuberate? Saying we are happy is not a lecture it is merely a comment. Isn't that good to be positive and happy especially with so much negativity about retirement in the news. Isn't it great to hear people say retirement is great and they are happy? There are many reasons to be happy in retirement and money is one of them are as many other things like health, family, friends, weather etc. I started a thread sometime ago about I am happy without any stated reason being needed why, other than your wanting to share.

As Pine to Vine noted money can help you feed and clothe the needy making even more folks happy. I added this thought after he contributed it in the next post.

We know that Mathjak is happy when with family, photography, dining and travel and that is a good thing.

Last edited by TuborgP; 12-19-2016 at 10:18 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 10:08 AM

6,854 posts, read 7,801,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So very true and our portfolio balance helps us to experience many of the happy things in life. Aren't there things you would like to do and experience beyond what your current finances would allow? Travel, entertainment, dining, recreation, visiting friends and family, vacations, different climates etc
I'm financially situated pretty well, actually. But at the end of the day, I am wiling to sacrifice some portfolio growth if there is another way that lifts all boats somewhat higher, not just mine.

So many of my more satisfying rewards are not not facilitated by my financial situation. I strive to always make eye contact with cashiers and I have always volunteered my time, currently with residents of a home for those in wheelchairs. I'll continue to receive these same rewards whether my portfolio doubles or falls by half.

As another poster stated, life's greatest rewards come from choices we make. But not all of those choices need by based on my own consumption of life's pleasures and comforts.

Perhaps that's a nice notion in this time of good cheer.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I'm financially situated pretty well, actually. But at the end of the day, I am wiling to sacrifice some portfolio growth if there is another way that lifts all boats somewhat higher, not just mine.

So many of my more satisfying rewards are not not facilitated by my financial situation. I strive to always make eye contact with cashiers and I have always volunteered my time, currently with residents of a home for those in wheelchairs. I'll continue to receive these same rewards whether my portfolio doubles or falls by half.

As another poster stated, life's greatest rewards come from choices we make. But not all of those choices need by based on my own consumption of life's pleasures and comforts.

Perhaps that's a nice notion in this time of good cheer.
Sure of course it is. I agree and am happy that our contributions to the Rescue mission fed the needy at Thanksgiving and will again this weekend. Isn't grand to be able to afford to help feed and clothe the needy👍🏾

Old 12-19-2016, 10:28 AM

6,854 posts, read 7,801,051 times
Quote:
Sure of course it is. I agree and am happy that our contributions to the Rescue mission fed the needy at Thanksgiving and will again this weekend. Isn't grand to be able to afford to help feed and clothe the needy����
I'm not sure you got my point, but Merry Christmas.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:34 AM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Hmmm what about not lecturing people because they our happy? Isn't happiness something we express and exuberate? Saying we are happy is not a lecture it is merely a comment. Isn't that good to be positive and happy especially with so much negativity about retirement in the news. Isn't it great to hear people say retirement is great and they are happy? There are many reasons to be happy in retirement and money is one of them are as many other things like health, family, friends, weather etc. I started a thread sometime ago about I am happy without any stated reason being needed why, other than your wanting to share.

As Pine to Vine noted money can help you feed and clothe the needy making even more folks happy. I added this thought after he contributed it in the next post.

We know that Mathjak is happy when with family, photography, dining and travel and that is a good thing.
The lecturing part is saying your portfolio balance doesn't make you happy. If you are happy with your portfolio regardless of the size then why bother saying it.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:37 AM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Sure of course it is. I agree and am happy that our contributions to the Rescue mission fed the needy at Thanksgiving and will again this weekend. Isn't grand to be able to afford to help feed and clothe the needy����
Sorry, but that sounds like bragging. Help feed and clothe the needy, as if you are better than us, those who don't help feed the clothe and needy.

Haha, I'm just being silly because I'm happy. Either that it's the donuts I'm eating this morning.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
The lecturing part is saying your portfolio balance doesn't make you happy. If you are happy with your portfolio, why bother saying it.
That's common when discussing portfolios, asset allocation etc. is it working for you and are you happy. Especially when discussing mutual funds/ETF's which are core for many individual investors.

At any point in time are we happy is a good question to answer when it is yes. As far as the portfolio balance and being happy that is critical once we enter and thru retirement Happy at 65 is one thing. Happy at 85 is Bada Bing!

Old 12-19-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but that sounds like bragging. Help feed and clothe the needy, as if you are better than us, those who don't help feed the clothe and needy.

Haha, I'm just being silly because I'm happy. Either that it's the donuts I'm eating this morning.
Ok I am bragging I help feed and clothe the needy. Better than how many points my kid scored or my team won in the minds of SOME!

A source of good donuts is priceless. There is a donut shop at the beach that on weekends in the summer can have 25-50 people in line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or