U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 12:41 PM

3,102 posts, read 1,720,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Profits over People, have a Merry Christmas! May we all get increased share holder value for Christmas. Now that is religion and finance mixed.

In all seriousness not sure about you but the use of that portfolio balance sure as heck has allowed many to enhance their good life and maybe even save a life dear to them.
Isn't Christmas always about finance anyway?
I never get excited about our portfolio balance, only the income it generates. it is like our house, i do not consider it part of our net worth even though it has risen in value, because we are still living in it and if we sell it we have to replace it.
The stock market is an artificial construct. what really counts is cost of living: food, health care, debt, etc.
if your income keeps up, heaven. if not, hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 12:42 PM

71,535 posts, read 71,712,424 times
well considering the income my portfolio can safely generate is based on the balance you better believe i am concerned about the balance .

Old 12-23-2016, 12:58 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I don't know what is meant by Options. We have no options regarding death and natural disasters.

There has been a lot of articles that state after a 75K income your happiness level does not rise much. In any case chasing happiness with money does not mean you always catch it because happiness lies in leading a good life - an ethical life of kindness and empathy.

Rise in portfolio balance at the cost of income inequality, loss of livelihoods, student and medical debts that cannot be met, hunger in America, are not something we can celebrate.
And the reason why is? I am not suggesting anyone should but what is the inherent reason why we can't? Many don't celebrate because of the consequence but regardless of the consequences. Many of life's actions come at the expense of others.

Getting accepted in to a top quality college takes up a seat someone else doesn't get. Income inequality is not just a result of one person getting wealthy but also another not getting wealthy.

If people are taught and accept to reject equity investing is it the fault of someone who embraces it when their wealth gap increases?

Are you suggesting one person being able to pay their medical bill is coming at the expense of those who can't?

Money can delay death as evidence by the difference in life expectancy between rich and poor and the ability to self provide good medical care and treatment.

Doesn't your issue with wealth inequality reinforce the value of having wealth?

Perhaps in life we can do more if we try to educate our young about the value of wealth and how to personally create and grow their own. There are people who have in their careers done that with great success and done it with the children of the wealthy and the poor, across ethic lines and they and their families are eternally grateful. It is possible to teach the disadvantaged how to become advantaged instead of complaining about what others have. It does happen and does work.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:10 PM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
options as in having to move away from family and grand kids like our parents did because they had no choice to live in anything but a low cost area .

options in medical treatment and facility's .

options like my neighbors mom did not have when she need a a medicaid bed and there was an opening 50 miles away .

options when legal matters crop up .

options like having a great set of dental implants instead of a lower denture that was a misery to live with .

there are choices everywhere in life and many take money
Or as simple as toilet paper. My husband just said we have to upgrade from Costco brand to Charmin because Kirkland toilet paper is going down the toilet. Cushy wipes win.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Isn't Christmas always about finance anyway?
I never get excited about our portfolio balance, only the income it generates. it is like our house, i do not consider it part of our net worth even though it has risen in value, because we are still living in it and if we sell it we have to replace it.
The stock market is an artificial construct. what really counts is cost of living: food, health care, debt, etc.
if your income keeps up, heaven. if not, hell.
Maybe you are different. Other people are different from you. Why can we let people decide what makes them happy and be happy about it.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Or as simple as toilet paper. My husband just said we have to upgrade from Costco brand to Charmin because Kirkland toilet paper is going down the toilet. Cushy wipes win.
Gotta be Scott's here regardless of cost. So Costco for Scotts it is.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Gotta be Scott's here regardless of cost. So Costco for Scotts it is.
Is that the best brand?

Old 12-23-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Is that the best brand?
:rol leyes::c ool:

Took me awhile to figure out how to answer this. I don't know about the best but for me it is what works and is a personal evaluation.: D

From Consumers Report
Quote:
The average American uses nearly 21,000 sheets of toilet paper a year—roughly the length of 23 football fields. Talk about yardage: No wonder toilet-paper manufacturers want you to reach for their rolls.
Because the number of sheets per roll of toilet paper can vary significantly among brands, we suggest you check the number of square feet per package to compare costs. You should also figure that you’re likely to use fewer sheets with multi-ply rolls than with single-ply ones.
We tested the biggest national and store brands of toilet paper and found that you don't have to pay the most for rolls that are strong yet soft—though the cheapest toilet papers were neither strong nor soft
White Cloud soft and thick was top rated. White Cloud strong and soft was a distant 4th. Scotts was third a few points ahead of the 4th ranked White Cloud. There was a difference of 20 points between first and second which for Consumers is bigly.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:46 PM

71,535 posts, read 71,712,424 times
Quote:
I don't know what is meant by Options. We have no options regarding death and natural disasters.

There has been a lot of articles that state after a 75K income your happiness level does not rise much. In any case chasing happiness with money does not mean you always catch it because happiness lies in leading a good life - an ethical life of kindness and empathy.

Rise in portfolio balance at the cost of income inequality, loss of livelihoods, student and medical debts that cannot be met, hunger in America, are not something we can celebrate.
obviously those article that talk about 75k don't take location in to consideration . 75k in queens ny ain't like 75k in atlanta .

we would never have retired if 75k was supposed to buy us happiness here .

Old 12-23-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
obviously those article that talk about 75k don't take location in to consideration . 75k in queens ny ain't like 75k in atlanta .

we would never have retired if 75k was supposed to buy us happiness here .
Help me to understand and process. At 75K we don't have the place at the beach. At current income etc we do. Does that negate or minimize by enjoy of being at the beach so much in the warmer months? How can someone else define happiness for someone else? Wouldn't that person know for themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or