U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 01:56 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,704,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Or as simple as toilet paper. My husband just said we have to upgrade from Costco brand to Charmin because Kirkland toilet paper is going down the toilet. Cushy wipes win.
LOL! Charmin is a luxury I allow myself even though the less expensive stuff does the same job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 01:57 PM

29,831 posts, read 34,918,975 times
Study: Money Buys Happiness When Income Is $75,000 - TIME

Quote:
Before employers rush to hold — or raise — everyone's salary to $75,000, the study points out that there are actually two types of happiness. There's your changeable, day-to-day mood: whether you're stressed or blue or feeling emotionally sound. Then there's the deeper satisfaction you feel about the way your life is going — the kind of thing Tony Robbins tries to teach you. While having an income above the magic $75,000 cutoff doesn't seem to have an impact on the former (emotional well-being), it definitely improves people's Robbins-like life satisfaction. In other words, the more people make above $75,000, the more they feel their life is working out on the whole. But it doesn't make them any more jovial in the mornings.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:57 PM

71,929 posts, read 71,971,035 times
buy the expensive stuff , just use less . all you need is a small piece to clean your finger nails ha ha ha ha

Old 12-23-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
buy the expensive stuff , just use less . all you need is a small piece to clean your finger nails ha ha ha ha
I/we our hoarders of toilet paper and paper towels.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:04 PM

my wife goes to costco and a fork lift loads my truck .

we have enough toilet paper and maple syrup forever i think .

"mathjak's dead-who gets the maple syrup ?"

Old 12-23-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
my wife goes to costco and a fork lift loads my truck .

we have enough toilet paper and maple syrup forever i think .

"mathjak's dead-who gets the maple syrup ?"
local rescue mission or another charity especially if they serve meals or a food bank etc.

Is it type A or B Maple Syrup

Old 12-23-2016, 02:12 PM

they don't take anything open . that is the problem with these large bottles of stuff from costco . a bottle of ketchup last us years and is open .

i think last box of salt we bought is going on a decade lol

Old 12-23-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
they don't take anything open . that is the problem with these large bottles of stuff from costco . a bottle of ketchup last us years and is open .

i think last box of salt we bought is going on a decade lol
I got it by a lot you had in one bottle. That is true about Costco. It is often cheaper to buy the larger amount there and throw out what is left when it expires than to buy smaller amounts in the supermarket.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:39 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,736,721 times
And the reason why is? I am not suggesting anyone should but what is the inherent reason why we can't? Many don't celebrate because of the consequence but regardless of the consequences. Many of life's actions come at the expense of others.

I am relating it to your assertion that deregulation and the freedom banks and the markets will enjoy will rise the value of portfolios. first of all it is not necessarily so, and nobody is quite sure why the markets are so high right now, they are all speculations. If it were true then those kinds of deregulation will cause harm, as it had during the crazy mortgage-backed securities fraud perpetrated by big banks which were ultimately bailed out by taxpayers. We know how that story ended.

Income inequality is not just a result of one person getting wealthy but also another not getting wealthy.

It is one person getting wealthy because he has the power to hire lobbyists to write tax laws that gives him huge breaks, who also can buy politicians who will pass these laws. Consequently we have people like Trump who pay no taxes at all even though he put a lot of people out work, and bankrupted small contractors who did business with him. He does not just use legal tax loop holes - which were created by people like him in the first place - but also just by ignoring laws. This is not a healthy situation for an economy or a a nation. Of course one can ignore all this and rejoice in one's own wealth. But there are many who feel differently and want to do something about it. That includes many billionaires.

Are you suggesting one person being able to pay their medical bill is coming at the expense of those who can't?

Everybody in a country as rich and powerful as the US should be able to meet their medical bills without having to sell their house or die. Sick people dying or going bankrupt have economic consequences to the country.

Money can delay death as evidence by the difference in life expectancy between rich and poor and the ability to self provide good medical care and treatment.

There are those, other than Republicans, who feel rich or poor all Americans should get health care.

Perhaps in life we can do more if we try to educate our young about the value of wealth and how to personally create and grow their own. ... It is possible to teach the disadvantaged how to become advantaged instead of complaining about what others have. It does happen and does work.

NObody gets rich all by themselves unless they inherited it. They went to public schools and universities supported by govt. funds. They get tax breaks and subsidies from the govt. to run their business and generous bankruptcy laws to bail them out when they fail. Like Trump did. It is not value of wealth but value of education and hard work that is necessary to do well in life. Those who are disadvantaged need a leg up to get education, work in an environment of equality and not discrimination, a minimum wage that helps them feed their family and keep it together, and many other social services such as child care.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:21 PM

13,371 posts, read 6,390,348 times
Now you are talking politics. Let's get back to toilet paper, the feel good kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or