U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:33 PM

4,676 posts, read 3,250,875 times

Advertisements

Clemencia53: There was a time in my life when I believed I'd be better off dead.

So glad that never happened. I am closing in on 75 and I honestly cannot imaging leaving right now. I hope I'm around for a long, long time.

Figure out what is making you think the way you are thinking, then fix it. It's not too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 09:52 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Clemencia53: There was a time in my life when I believed I'd be better off dead.

So glad that never happened. I am closing in on 75 and I honestly cannot imaging leaving right now. I hope I'm around for a long, long time.

Figure out what is making you think the way you are thinking, then fix it. It's not too late.
Ok - I am not thinking about doing anything to myself. Long way from that. When I read the article I posted, it made perfect sense to me.

Kind of puts you on a "deadline" to get your act together and enjoy life.

And if you pass the "deadline", bonus!

Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 AM

3,911 posts, read 4,653,076 times
My side of the family lives long lives on both maternal and paternal, so I'm expecting early to mid-90s for me.

My husband's side of the family dies young - his grandparents all passed when they were on the younger side, his dad in his mid-60s, and his mom lived the longest, dying in her mid-80s. My husband is relatively healthy, but he's still expecting to be gone by his early 80s.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:36 AM

23,607 posts, read 17,589,896 times
I'm extremely surprised at the amount of people who are planning to be in their 90s. It doesn't hurt to plan your retirement to last that long, but the odds of any particular individual making it there are quite low.

Take a look at this map sorting life expectancy by county.

Life expectancy across the U.S. - The Washington Post

Only in a handful of the most affluent counties (generally around DC) can an average man expect to live 80 years. In Fairfax County, the #1 county for men and #10 for women, 81.1 and 83.3 years, respectively.

Even in the most affluent county in the country, life expectancies are barely 90% of the way to 90. In my county, men can expect to live just 72.5 years on average, and in some nearby rural counties, men will not reach even 70 years of age on average. That's nearly a decade difference from the end of Virginia I'm sitting five minutes from and the prestigious and prosperous on the other end of the state.

Yes, one is likely to improve life expectancy, or at least quality of life, through proper nutrition, exercise, and quality medical care. Still, the best we can do, on the average, is a little under 80.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm extremely surprised at the amount of people who are planning to be in their 90s. It doesn't hurt to plan your retirement to last that long, but the odds of any particular individual making it there are quite low.

Only in a handful of the most affluent counties (generally around DC) can an average man expect to live 80 years. In Fairfax County, the #1 county for men and #10 for women, 81.1 and 83.3 years, respectively.

Even in the most affluent county in the country, life expectancies are barely 90% of the way to 90. In my county, men can expect to live just 72.5 years on average, and in some nearby rural counties, men will not reach even 70 years of age on average. That's nearly a decade difference from the end of Virginia I'm sitting five minutes from and the prestigious and prosperous on the other end of the state.

Yes, one is likely to improve life expectancy, or at least quality of life, through proper nutrition, exercise, and quality medical care. Still, the best we can do, on the average, is a little under 80.
yes - it is surprising. But I think that is how long they want their money to last in case they live that long.

If someone lives to 90 around here - we are astonished. My mom lived to 92 but her maternal grandmother was 99. Some of her aunts lived to mid 90s. Its a genetic roulette wheel. None of the men lived as long. And they were a poor hard working immigrant family from mexico.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:02 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,204,023 times
Living to 90 and beyond isn't a big deal where I live in Iowa, and also including my relatives spread through the US and Europe. Two of my next door neighbors just moved to assisted living at 92 and 94. Four of my uncles lived to their early 90s, and eight aunts up to 97 years. My co-worker's mom is 103 (lived on a farm all her life). My mom's significant other in southern California is 93 and living independently (my mom just went into memory care at age 85, but is physically very healthy).

Old 12-19-2016, 12:10 PM

15,251 posts, read 8,543,297 times
Quote:

I think that while intellectually we "know" what the average is, we don't fully appreciate that it means a whole lot of people will live YEARS longer than that. These maps would be more helpful if they gave the MEDIAN age and a standard deviation or perhaps the percentage of people living at least 5 years beyond the median or dying 5 or more years before the median - then we could get a much better handle on the ranges we're talking about.

Maybe it puts a crimp in our retirement planning and makes us all a little more nervous but I'd rather be nervous while I'm still working and saving than nervous at the age of 80 wondering HITH I'll make my money stretch another 10 years!

Old 12-19-2016, 12:13 PM

23,607 posts, read 17,589,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - it is surprising. But I think that is how long they want their money to last in case they live that long.

If someone lives to 90 around here - we are astonished. My mom lived to 92 but her maternal grandmother was 99. Some of her aunts lived to mid 90s. Its a genetic roulette wheel. None of the men lived as long. And they were a poor hard working immigrant family from mexico.
My maternal grandmother had eleven brothers and sisters. Some were older than her, some younger, but none made it to 90, though a few got into their mid 80s. My grandmother is currently 81 and probably has a better shot of making it to 90 than her one remaining brother, who has significant heart trouble and COPD. He's in his 70s.

Maternal grandfather died at 77 in 2009 and his one brother died before 50.

Maternal grandmother's siblings died in their 70s or before. One died of a heart attack at her property in his early 60s, one died while driving drunk in his 40s - grandmother is 80 and her brother is around 70, maybe a little younger. Brother had a massive heart attack earlier this year and nearly died.

My grandfather is also 81 and the second oldest of his siblings, save one brother two years younger who is in a nursing home, they've all been dead at least a decade.

That's probably twenty people right there and not one made it to 90. Granted, there were some accidents, and diet/exercise was not emphasized, along with a lot of heavy drinkers and smokers. I only know a handful of people who have made it to 90, and most of those were significantly physically or mentally impaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think that while intellectually we "know" what the average is, we don't fully appreciate that it means a whole lot of people will live YEARS longer than that. These maps would be more helpful if they gave the MEDIAN age and a standard deviation or perhaps the percentage of people living at least 5 years beyond the median or dying 5 or more years before the median - then we could get a much better handle on the ranges we're talking about.

Maybe it puts a crimp in our retirement planning and makes us all a little more nervous but I'd rather be nervous while I'm still working and saving than nervous at the age of 80 wondering HITH I'll make my money stretch another 10 years!
Around here, drugs (mainly opiates) are killing lots of young people. I graduated high school in 2004, and counted the known drug-related deaths from my high school graduating class a few months back, and we've lost about 10% of my graduating class (of close to 300) - those are just the cases I personally know of or heard through the grapevine that drugs were a factor. This was just counting cases I remember and people I know who are dead - there are likely others who are dead that I never heard about, or who died as a result of drugs, but that wasn't disclosed. We've also lost people to illness, suicide, homicide, and accidents.

If someone were to look back in 100 years at my graduating class' life expectancy, it will look shockingly low, but that's going to be heavily skewed by young drug deaths. The normal person leading a straight life will likely live quite a bit longer than the average of the cohort will indicate. It's an accurate number, but also misleading.

I'm not sure how much that kind of data is taken into account in these models, but I'm sure the numbers would go up a bit if you remove addicts, suicides, alcoholics, and deaths related to all these.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 12-19-2016 at 12:23 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 12:26 PM

Half my graduating class is dead and we haven't even hit our 40th class reunion. Lots of bad health and life decisions.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:17 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,151,461 times
Quote:

Right, those are averages. They average in the schlub down the street from me, with me. The schlub down the street eats lots of red meat, is sedentary, goes and demands meds when he gets a cold, drinks too much, and has anger management issues. An average between me and him is likely to be less than my life expectancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or