U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 04:23 PM

4,205 posts, read 1,915,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Half my graduating class is dead and we haven't even hit our 40th class reunion. Lots of bad health and life decisions.
How big was your class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 05:30 PM

6,334 posts, read 5,072,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
How big was your class?
Very small. 55 people.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:55 PM

9,002 posts, read 7,766,040 times
Do not be so sure of anything. The vast majority of women on both sides of my late wife's family lived well into their 90's. She died at age 75 and her 98 year old mother is still alive. I am 74 and very few males on both sides of my family lived to be my age.

We both beat the family odds but in different ways.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:39 AM

1,949 posts, read 1,339,885 times
No plans to commit suicide but there's something morbid I find to outlive your whole graduating class, your siblings, and your friends. Even if you have kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, to have everyone that you shared history with when you were young die off is disturbing IMO.

I think the majority of seniors are fooled by how healthy everyone is because most of the ones who post here on CD tend to be on the healthier side mentally and probably physically.

I think 75-80 is a good number. Attending all those funerals is very depressing.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:28 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,160,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
No plans to commit suicide but there's something morbid I find to outlive your whole graduating class, your siblings, and your friends. Even if you have kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, to have everyone that you shared history with when you were young die off is disturbing IMO.

I think the majority of seniors are fooled by how healthy everyone is because most of the ones who post here on CD tend to be on the healthier side mentally and probably physically.

I think 75-80 is a good number. Attending all those funerals is very depressing.
It's good number ... for someone with a gambling mentality who is betting on dying early. For everyone else, it's likely to lead to poverty at the worst possible time ... one's final few years.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post

You have a point about the posters here on the retirement forum. Probably in better health than the average bear - physically and mentally.

The people I associate with, follow the calendar with doctor appointments - husband and wife.

This whole year for me has been like a medical shuttle - one sickly person after another.

A big problem for our area is obesity. I see pictures of families this time of year and all are overweight - some to the extreme. And youngish too. A wedding picture - everyone is bulging at the seams.

Feeding babies/kids all kinds of junk.

And no one is really happy - all sorts of tragedies and drama surround them - sheesh! I guess I come here to get away from it all = lol!

Old 12-23-2016, 07:52 AM

71,779 posts, read 71,896,917 times
The idea behind planning to 90 or 95 is not that you will live that long .

the idea is that statistically it bumps up your success rate if you are not at 100% .

the combination of the portfolio stress testing for at least a 90% success rate , the fact you will statistically not live to 90 and human intervention as far as spending patterns all bring up your success rate higher than just the stress testing alone imply's

Old 12-23-2016, 09:52 AM

4,205 posts, read 1,915,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Very small. 55 people.
Very odd.
I am going to looking at the 50th in 2018. 600 in class.
I don't think more than 50 has passed, although a few that I know have health issues. Including me.

I wonder what factors make your HS class different.?

Old 12-23-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Very odd.
I am going to looking at the 50th in 2018. 600 in class.
I don't think more than 50 has passed, although a few that I know have health issues. Including me.

I wonder what factors make your HS class different.?
The three that died this year were due to cancer, heart attack and complications due to AIDS. There have been other heart attacks, more cancer, complications of diabetes and a couple of overdoses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or