U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 12:37 AM

18,088 posts, read 22,934,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
NMSFM, perhaps you would enjoy volunteering at one of the California State Parks...

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=886

https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/735/f...lweb102814.pdf
If I'd have stayed in Redding, CA, I was going to volunteer at Whiskeytown Lake for their kayak program. It's an amazing benefit for visitors to the park, which is a national park. It's free, but they'll take donations. They give free kayak tours twice a day all summer long. The tours are a couple hours and they provide the vests and kayaks and paddles and a guide. Volunteers help people get their vests on and learn how to get in and out and paddle, etc. And there are several along for the tour, to provide safety.

I went nearly every week all summer long and talked to them about volunteering the following year, and I think I would have loved it. But, I moved away.

I discovered that even with a bad back and neck, I could handle kayaking and I just loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 12:46 AM

18,088 posts, read 22,934,448 times
I went to the place I've been volunteering at, and looked at some documents for another problem they're having today. One of them called me up and took me to coffee and then just happened to mention going to the organization...lol.

Without going into details, in case anyone may recognize who I'm talking about, I can see the writing on the wall that they may end up losing this organization in a couple years anyway.

And the reason for all of these problems stems from people not wanting to spend money on lawyers. They've been so careful with their money, that you have to give them credit for that. But, they didn't get expert advice when entering into bad contracts. It's such a shame.

And to the person who said where they volunteered - that it was old ladies who just wanted to chat and didn't have the energy or interest in doing the events and fundraising they used to do - you nailed it. This organization has been around for a long time, but the membership just aged and they haven't drawn in new younger blood along the way. And they really don't want it there. They just want things to stay the same.

I guess they'll get away with that for a couple more years, but I think the writing is on the wall.

I was able to help them and they're finally going to go talk to a lawyer, but I don't know if the lawyer will be able to save them long-term. But, they're still avoiding any talk of dealing with the IRS. I won't be able to hang around there. It's soured for me.

But, as some others have said, I'm probably going to be happier finding somewhere I just show up to stuff envelopes at. I need to keep my mouth shut about my former professional skills. My professional life was stressful! I need to stop recreating it LOL.

Thanks for all of the posts. I've repped a bunch more people for all of your great stories and ideas.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:36 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
''Recreating'' one's ''professional life'' says it all. If it feels like that then I don't want to do it either!
This has been a great thread to help sort through all our ''grand retirement plans''.
I think sometimes the ''best plan'' is ''no plan''. LOL

Old 12-17-2016, 09:26 AM

516 posts, read 292,344 times
Don't volunteer.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:12 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
I am not big on volunteering but those things for which I have volunteered were a reflection of my own personal interests. Like my 15 year volunteer work for a theater company because I love theater. It allowed me to meet many professionals in that venue. My volunteer work now in helping to distribute pet food for people in need of this arises out of my love for animals.

Would I volunteer to work with kids? No, because I am not fond of them. Same reason I wouldn't volunteer as a hospital helper because I have been in too many of them and prefer to keep away at every level.

Maybe I will come across something I think I might like and volunteer for it just to expand my horizons but if that doesn't work out, I will quit.

Volunteering isn't for everyone and like anything else, a newbie might find the people in any given group incompatible. It doesn't hurt to keep trying to find places to volunteer but I wouldn't force it.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:21 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
My sister, in retirement, volunteered through her church to put together backpacks of healthy snacks for underprivileged kids. The organization often ran short of money and my sister kicked in, which was ok for her. What got to her was the administrative in-fighting and power plays. Decisions that had been relegated to her were contested. She is not the contentious type, she's very docile. I think she's still doing the work but not sure if all that stuff has been resolved. Volunteering in some cases is like working at a paid job in which you don't mind the work so much, even inadequate pay. It's more often than not the people in the organization who power-play and make the workplace miserable.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:29 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I watched my MIL decline way past the point where she could not even recognize her children or caretakers. It is sad to watch the decline. When the big event of the week or the day is a visit from a dog, I would want to call it over. I am not going to decide for someone else when they should give up on life.
You know, quite honestly, the companionship of a good dog is worth a dozen people when you're out of it. A good dog sitting or sleeping beside you is calming, comforting, reassuring. Animal energy is full of faithfulness and strength. In my final days I hope to have at least one of my dogs next to me, as I do right now on this cold snowy day, unable to go out. You don't have to tell your troubles to a dog, they just know.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:05 AM

249 posts, read 196,990 times
I've done my share of volunteer work and somewhat agree with the problems. I find many organizations are run by volunteers and many of those people are wonderful caring people but not good leaders, too many have poor organizational skills.

Over the years I've spent too much time going to an event then standing around not doing much good.

For the last six years I've been a chaplain at a local jail. The senior chaplain does a good job keeping it structured but pleasant. I now am able to go in by myself, visit the inmates, then leave, no fuss no muss. I stay out of the politics.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:05 AM

6,239 posts, read 4,725,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
You know, quite honestly, the companionship of a good dog is worth a dozen people when you're out of it. ......
I have never been a dog person. Until two years ago, we always had cats. The last one I was very attached to. She kept me company my second year of RV travel when my wife spent most of the time back East helping with the grandkids. It is a pain traveling with pets and even worse to try to have pet sitters for long periods of time. Plus both son in laws are allergic. No more pets.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:07 AM

6,306 posts, read 3,569,825 times
We traveled extensively in the mid and southwest this early fall and you know who looked like they were having a good time? The people who work at town and state information rest stops. I guess you'd have to be very familiar with an area to be of good use at that work but what an opportunity to meet people from everywhere and to highlight what your area has to offer.

Way back when they started to build rest stops along the freeways I remember my dad telling me about a guy he knew who had retired in a town a little larger than ours along the interstate. He said he'd gotten a job caretaking the rest stop there and he loved it. A little grass mowing, fill the toilet paper and towel dispensers and a chance to get out of the house a bit every day and do something useful but not demanding.

Some of us want and need to be in the public eye and others of us don't. Good thing there's a little bit of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement