U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:20 AM

5,440 posts, read 2,833,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
From reading this thread it seems to me people might be better off volunteering in situations where your boss won't be a volunteer. That way you avoid the drama of a hierarchy of volunteers. For example an elementary school has volunteer teacher's assistants, who work for teachers. The teacher appreciates their work, because her own work is paid, and she sees them as donating their time, not as low level workers in a hierarchy.
That is a great observation. I think that is part of why my experience volunteering for county open space department was so positive. The volunteers were trained and managed by regular, permanent employees who repeatedly expressed appreciation for our work. Aside from that, the department operated in a professional manner and had much success that anybody could see for themselves, and they were well-respected by residents as well as being respectful themselves. Their trail building days were 7 hours of hard physical labor but EVERY one of them yielded substantial, material results that all could be proud of having helped.

As one small example of how smoothly things ran, the department would have a bus to transport volunteers to the work site. There was no time wasted on figuring out who was going to carpool how many...you merely got yourself to the meeting point and they took it from there.

Volunteers did what they had signed up to do, not everything that was left over from someone else. Big difference from many other volunteer groups, where it often ends up split between controllers and dumpees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 02:04 PM

154 posts, read 401,390 times
When I started being micro-managed by the head of the non-profit I was was volunteering for, I made a fast exit. Who needs that nonsense? It reminded me too much of ineffective, poor managers I had when I was actually being paid to work. Funny thing is, this person was trained as a counselor, and she had such poor people management skills. So, I am taking a very long break from volunteer work because it has left a bad taste in my mouth for now. I love that my time is my own, and with my free time I am helping my family instead.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:57 PM

1,190 posts, read 664,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
My experience was through local clubs or individuals starting a collection drive and giving them to the Dept of Children Svcs, etc. By the way, I am going to check with my local SA and see if they do anything like this. They are also a good resource, too.

I had you a lot of links (Google) and for some reason, deleted all of them. Too tired, right now, to find them and repost.

We had one man here locally who knew a young lady who had aged out of foster care and he took it upon himself to look into this and hold fund raisers, solicit help with housing, furnishings for a living space, jobs, education. I am not sure what has happened in recent years with this issue. I know here in Florida, a lot of things go through The Baptist Childrens Home.

It is all most worthy and heartfelt causes. These children go through so much in their young lives, if they even make it that far.
Now THIS is something I could really get involved with - thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I feel for these foster children who have had a tough road. Finding yourself without a home or family at age 18 must be heartbreaking. I have a terrible feeling there may be more foster children with the opioids and heroin epidemic now also.

I think I really got turned off by organizations whose "directors" (including non-profit) were making big bucks but volunteers were not valued. Guess they figured they could be easily replaced.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:15 PM

31,083 posts, read 13,607,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
There are some stories about this that is truly heartbreaking. One little boy showed up at a new foster home with mismatched clothing, wrong sizes, boy and girl clothes, shoes that didn't fit and it was all in a plastic garbage bag. That inspired her to start a campaign for the suitcases. I wish more clubs and individuals would do this.
Some clubs and organizations tried painting them to brighten them up but I thought that wasn't a good idea as it just marked them as foster kids.
There have been some efforts to help out kids that have aged out of the foster care system. Such as help with living arrangements, items to furnish a living space, etc. The kids are kicked out at 18 and they are their own.
Thank you to the people that assist those who haven't learned to read. One of my grandsons was the recipient of such help and he has thrived since then. He will always need help with many things but, he is so proud of his reading ability. He does have to take meds to be able to concentrate and he does so willing. My dear, dear grandson.
So many needs, so few hands that can help with those needs. But, God bless you all in your chosen areas that you volunteer. It is all very worthy and necessary.
Years ago my boys had a friend who lived in a foster home, the day he turned 18 his foster parents gave him a suitcase and took the door key back from him. He was a small, shy kid and turned up at our house with nowhere to go. I let him stay with us for several months until we reunited him with one of his relatives. I was so disgusted by the foster family who did that that I felt like throwing stuff at their house when I would drive by, and they received quite a bit of money for these kids. They usually had 5 or 6 foster kids at any given time and you would see them outside mowing the lawn, cleaning the windows, washing the cars and...wearing clothes that looked like they had been handed down four or five times

Old 12-19-2016, 04:30 PM

4,671 posts, read 3,248,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Years ago my boys had a friend who lived in a foster home, the day he turned 18 his foster parents gave him a suitcase and took the door key back from him. He was a small, shy kid and turned up at our house with nowhere to go. I let him stay with us for several months until we reunited him with one of his relatives. I was so disgusted by the foster family who did that that I felt like throwing stuff at their house when I would drive by, and they received quite a bit of money for these kids. They usually had 5 or 6 foster kids at any given time and you would see them outside mowing the lawn, cleaning the windows, washing the cars and...wearing clothes that looked like they had been handed down four or five times
I wonder if anyone ever reported those bums. Using those kids for slave labor. Probably happens more than we want to know.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I wonder if anyone ever reported those bums. Using those kids for slave labor. Probably happens more than we want to know.
I tried to, I reported them to CPS, to the Police and to the State of California, so did two of my neighbors, they never did a thing. Everyone in the neighborhood would donate their kids old clothes to the family but for the most part we never saw the kids wearing them. When I worked with homeless women in Reno I was shocked to learn how many of them had been foster kids, I would guess it was about 25-40%. I later found confirmation for that statistic:

The future for former foster children is not bright. Statistics suggest that, of those who age out of foster care, one in four will become homeless, 71% of young women will become pregnant by the time that they are twenty-one, and one in four will experience PTSD. Only half of those who age out of foster care will have a job by the time they are twenty-four, and by the time they are twenty-six, only four percent will have earned a four-year degree from a college compared to thirty-six percent of their peers. When these foster care children age out of the system, they often look forward to jail and homelessness.What Happens to California Children when they Age Out of Foster Care?

Pretty sad huh?

Old 12-19-2016, 05:21 PM

6,261 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Moving the lawn and washing the car does not sound like slave labor.

My daughter works in CPS. She tells me foster care is a disaster. Most of the kids have had a hard life and have serious psychological problems. It is a long way from adoption. Mostly people do it for the small amount of money they get. Just trying to find anyone willing to do foster care is usually difficult. As bad as it is, foster care is about the only hope to handle kids when the parents are abusive or on drugs or otherwise not responsible.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

My daughter works in CPS. She tells me foster care is a disaster. Most of the kids have had a hard life and have serious psychological problems. It is a long way from adoption. Mostly people do it for the small amount of money they get. Just trying to find anyone willing to do foster care is usually difficult. As bad as it is, foster care is about the only hope to handle kids when the parents are abusive or on drugs or otherwise not responsible.
You are right mowing the lawn and washing the car do not sound like slave labor, but when a family has 3 of their own kids and they are out riding bikes or going to football practice while the foster kids are doing all of the work it pretty much sucks. And I'm not sure what you mean by 'small amount of money' in California it's around $800 a month, the family I'm referring to had 5 or 6 foster kids at a time, that amounts $4,000-$4,800 a month. From the little I have seen of the foster care system I almost think we might do better to have the kids living in group homes administered by professionals.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:42 PM

5,397 posts, read 6,538,749 times
^^^ we had the Presbyterian Home , an orphanage, in my home town. Back in the 1960s

Looking back, it had to have been better than current foster care.

But to me as a kid, it was just kids and they seemed well taken care of, kind of dormitory style living. They had free college at Presbyterian colleges or a church wedding. It was sad they were without their parents though

Old 12-19-2016, 05:45 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,833,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

It can get even worse. A few miles from my old stomping grounds, a house full of criminals--Dad (in jail forever), Mom, and all three adult sons were druggies--used to foster kids. Neighbors told me of seeing kids in raggedy summer clothes hitchhiking on bitterly cold CO winter days. These were the foster kids running away from the house of meth. They told people who gave them rides that they hadn't eaten in days. Later, all three sons went to jail, but not before they had gone on drug-related burglary and car stealing sprees.

I had to wonder if there were any standards for fostering kids! Yeah, take them from their bad homes and stick them into an even worse one, and pay money to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement