U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 06:30 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times

Advertisements

Well, here we go. Foster care could be an opportunity for some serious volunteering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 06:44 PM

31,060 posts, read 13,591,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Well, here we go. Foster care could be an opportunity for some serious volunteering.
I've thought about it, but how? The only way I was able to help was by taking in a kid to live in my home after he turned 18. There was no way to reason with the family who kicked him out they just wanted to clear his bed for the next pay check.

The system is highly bureaucratic and at least in California most of the placements are done through private, for profit agencies...I can't think of any way to help, I can't take any more kids into my home, we just don't have room.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:36 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,073,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
OP: Are there any opportunities to volunteer for the park service in your area? How far is Humboldt from where you live? I say this because my 27-year-old daughter volunteers on weekends for Mt. St. Helen's Institute in Oregon, clearing trails and as a hiking guide or just cheering hikers on. She says there are a lot of older people volunteering there too. Just a thought.

I'd like to do something with the nature center in my town here in Iowa, but I have a few years to go before retirement.
Mount St.Helens is in Washington State.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:39 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,118,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Years ago my boys had a friend who lived in a foster home, the day he turned 18 his foster parents gave him a suitcase and took the door key back from him. He was a small, shy kid and turned up at our house with nowhere to go. I let him stay with us for several months until we reunited him with one of his relatives. I was so disgusted by the foster family who did that that I felt like throwing stuff at their house when I would drive by, and they received quite a bit of money for these kids. They usually had 5 or 6 foster kids at any given time and you would see them outside mowing the lawn, cleaning the windows, washing the cars and...wearing clothes that looked like they had been handed down four or five times
This hurts my heart.....

Quote:
I tried to, I reported them to CPS, to the Police and to the State of California, so did two of my neighbors, they never did a thing. Everyone in the neighborhood would donate their kids old clothes to the family but for the most part we never saw the kids wearing them. When I worked with homeless women in Reno I was shocked to learn how many of them had been foster kids, I would guess it was about 25-40%. I later found confirmation for that statistic:

The future for former foster children is not bright. Statistics suggest that, of those who age out of foster care, one in four will become homeless, 71% of young women will become pregnant by the time that they are twenty-one, and one in four will experience PTSD. Only half of those who age out of foster care will have a job by the time they are twenty-four, and by the time they are twenty-six, only four percent will have earned a four-year degree from a college compared to thirty-six percent of their peers. When these foster care children age out of the system, they often look forward to jail and homelessness.What Happens to California Children when they Age Out of Foster Care?

Pretty sad huh?
This is what I have read also regarding Florida foster kids.

Quote:
Moving the lawn and washing the car does not sound like slave labor.

My daughter works in CPS. She tells me foster care is a disaster. Most of the kids have had a hard life and have serious psychological problems. It is a long way from adoption. Mostly people do it for the small amount of money they get. Just trying to find anyone willing to do foster care is usually difficult. As bad as it is, foster care is about the only hope to handle kids when the parents are abusive or on drugs or otherwise not responsible.
Read the next post.

Quote:
You are right mowing the lawn and washing the car do not sound like slave labor, but when a family has 3 of their own kids and they are out riding bikes or going to football practice while the foster kids are doing all of the work it pretty much sucks. And I'm not sure what you mean by 'small amount of money' in California it's around $800 a month, the family I'm referring to had 5 or 6 foster kids at a time, that amounts $4,000-$4,800 a month. From the little I have seen of the foster care system I almost think we might do better to have the kids living in group homes administered by professionals.
This is what I saw right across the street from me. The bio children wore good clothes, had fun, and the foster kids were doing exactly what you said, "washing the cars and mowing the lawn" and the clothes were always ragged. That whole thing eventually fell apart.

Down at the end of my street, a retired couple built a home on the lake with 8 bedrooms and several bathrooms. They, really, she did, took in the most handicapped from foster care and sometimes cared for them for several years. They eventually adopted one foster with cerebral palsy.

I have known several good foster parents and I have heard of some monsters, right here in our own area. One little boy, was given back to his biological mother and the boyfriend killed him two weeks later by drowning him in the toilet for soiling his pants. HIs foster mother never recovered from the tragedy but, before that, she fought his being returned to the bio mother in court until their savings was depleted and they lost everything. She died a few years later and I talked to her a couple of times by phone before then. She was a broken woman. Too many stories like this one.

Quote:
I've thought about it, but how? The only way I was able to help was by taking in a kid to live in my home after he turned 18. There was no way to reason with the family who kicked him out they just wanted to clear his bed for the next pay check.

The system is highly bureaucratic and at least in California most of the placements are done through private, for profit agencies...I can't think of any way to help, I can't take any more kids into my home, we just don't have room.
Sleepy, you can only do the best that you can. Your heart is in the right place, at least you tried to get something done. Most people don't want to get involved. You did.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:50 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
Quote:
Moving the lawn and washing the car does not sound like slave labor.

My daughter works in CPS. She tells me foster care is a disaster. Most of the kids have had a hard life and have serious psychological problems. It is a long way from adoption. Mostly people do it for the small amount of money they get. Just trying to find anyone willing to do foster care is usually difficult. As bad as it is, foster care is about the only hope to handle kids when the parents are abusive or on drugs or otherwise not responsible.

Mowing the lawn and washing the car are the things you SAW. What happened inside the house was probably far worse. Like what kind of meals were they served? Where did they sleep? Did they have proper medical attention when needed? Did the foster father (or mother) sexually abuse them??

The outside work is only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. And for these young children, it IS slave labor.

I get pretty angry over people who only see surface stuff.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:51 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Re #2 here, my uncle was in WWII and he could not sing the praises of the SA enough. He said that after a battle, the SA would be up on the front lines with hot coffee and doughnuts, etc and the Red Cross would still be way behind the lines. The SA was great in assisting soldiers getting information from home or contacting relatives for soldiers who were fighting. I have heard many stories like that when I was younger and a lot of vets were still alive.

After Katrina, there was a brief comment in one of the local papers in NO about the SA being down in the 9th ward serving hot food from a food wagon before anyone else. Then, the RC came. But, that story didn't get much traction with other news org. because the RC is always requesting money for their "good works". The SA doesn't.

I have personally seen too much good they have done, quietly, to knock them in any way. Are they perfect ? Probably not. But I have not seen much ?, any, scandal written about them. Nor have I ever had anyone raise their religious beliefs to me that was from the SA.
I worked for the Salvation Army & they have my respect & admiration. I worked as a secretary at a shelter. They provided 3 meals a day to whoever came in, provided shelter, showers & clothing. One of the things I did was set up a mail merge for donations as well as an exell spreadsheet so all donars would get confirmation of their contributions at the end of the year. I was amazed (and thankful) to see the donors who appreciated the service the shelter provided.

It is a wonderful organization that I donate to myself.

I have to add that I wasn't paid what I needed to get ahead & chose to take a higher paying job but it was the most enjoyable position I ever had. Also, I wasn't a Salvationist & did feel they needed someone who was.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:48 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I worked for the Salvation Army & they have my respect & admiration. I worked as a secretary at a shelter. They provided 3 meals a day to whoever came in, provided shelter, showers & clothing. One of the things I did was set up a mail merge for donations as well as an exell spreadsheet so all donars would get confirmation of their contributions at the end of the year. I was amazed (and thankful) to see the donors who appreciated the service the shelter provided.

It is a wonderful organization that I donate to myself.

I have to add that I wasn't paid what I needed to get ahead & chose to take a higher paying job but it was the most enjoyable position I ever had. Also, I wasn't a Salvationist & did feel they needed someone who was.

I have supported the Salvation Army over the years especially in the areas of emergency shelter and community feeding projects. While I do not agree with all of their doctrinal statements, I fo believe in "feeding the hungry" and "providing shelter to the homeless."

The MAJOR complaint with the Salvation Army that I have heard repeatedly in the Tucson area is that they do not allow their clients to drink or use drugs in their local facility for the homeless. I do not have any real problems with that policy. Why should they enable the addictions that got the people in the circumstances that they are?

My ONLY complaint is that the Chicago office keeps sending me requests for donations although I have moved to Arizona nearly three years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement