U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 04:17 PM

6,069 posts, read 9,531,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I meant discouraging others about volunteering.
The OP isn't discouraging. It's informative, and a good heads-up about possible problems in volunteer positions.

I'm lucky that my volunteer jobs (both in libraries) are with people who are happy to have me there and express it to me often. DH was volunteering at a park. The people he was working with changed, the tasks he was given to do changed, and it wound up being so thankless he stopped doing it. (He has since discussed it with the people currently there, and is volunteering in a different way.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 04:20 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,524,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Some years ago when I was living alone after a divorce, I got involved with a food distribution non-profit called S.H.A.R.E. I don't remember what the acronym stood for. It was purportedly run by the Society of Friends (Quakers). The idea was that you paid some small amount -- like $12 -- in advance, then the pooled funds were used to make wholesale buys of foodstuffs. You were also asked to volunteer a certain number of hours a month to help keep the operation running.

I always volunteered on distribution day, making up boxes of food to hand out. I liked it because no one was on a power trip. Plus you got a variety of foods.

Unfortunately I moved away when I bought my condo and lost track of the people. I would like to do it again but it seems the program no longer exists.
Sounds like a program in central Minnesota ( same name)
Our church secretary found out about it and her recently retired husband loves volunteering there.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:35 PM

5,436 posts, read 2,830,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
The Master Gardener program is run by your state university, which operates your county extension program. It is scientific in nature; if you become a MG, you will learn a lot of the current science regarding soils, plants, etc. They teach both organic and non organic methods, btw - you have to agree to provide info about both...I learned a lot while a MG, met some great people, *and* got a great MG mug! :-)
There was such a group in the town I lived in. Besides the training and regular get-togethers for the purpose of being available to people needing help with plants (walk-in clinic), they had access to great printed and online resources. The people I asked questions of were very knowledgeable and eager to assist. I would say they are one of the better volunteer orgs out there.

They also planted some beautiful public gardens in the area, emphasizing native and native-compatible plants.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:44 PM

11,267 posts, read 8,433,015 times
Volunteering is certainly not for everyone. I have a friend who does volunteer work (and her time is also very valuable to her community). There's always one who causes problems for the whole group. That person would be a bigger help by not volunteering.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:06 PM

6,906 posts, read 3,840,727 times
When it's everyone "else" but you.... it's usually you who are the problem.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:46 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
I have taught ESL and worked for dog rescue. Maybe next I will look into a food bank or meal service. I haven't found anything yet that I LOVED but I will keep on looking.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:22 PM

6,256 posts, read 4,734,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have taught ESL and worked for dog rescue. Maybe next I will look into a food bank or meal service. I haven't found anything yet that I LOVED but I will keep on looking.
I am puzzled about the whole volunteer idea. Perhaps you can explain. What would make it something that you would LOVE to do? Is it the idea of doing as much as possible to help others or is it finding something that is fun for you to do?

Old 12-15-2016, 06:30 PM

6,576 posts, read 3,667,513 times
Not all volunteering spots work out. My current volunteering experience is not very fulfilling. I'm on an executive board of a professional foundation...the only non-professional. They say they want more non-professionals but I'm it. Another non-professional volunteer threw in the towel a while back. We meet once a month but really don't accomplish much. We go through the motions but that's it. It's also a 45 minute drive to attend meetings. So, I'm on the hunt for something new to replace or maybe add to the board. There are a couple active "Friends of ..." groups that might work out.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am puzzled about the whole volunteer idea. Perhaps you can explain. What would make it something that you would LOVE to do? Is it the idea of doing as much as possible to help others or is it finding something that is fun for you to do?
Often has to do with the management / co-volunteers. Varies just like a job... some groups just do not fit (social or management / service delivery). Often you will find the group / volunteer service are NOT as you expected +/-. I like 'engaged' activities and volunteers (you will not find me attending a table at a Bake Sale), but I very well may be serving free meals to shut-ins, or homeless. I avoid 'meeting-centric' groups. When they finally DECIDE what they are going to do, they can call me when the ACTION / 'doing' begins.

Even within organizations, it is usually wise to 'pick-and-choose' how / when and WHO with you volunteer.

Many volunteers are 'OVER-THE-TOP' ex-managers who never got enough 'Bossing' done in their previous life.

I have friends the LOVE to volunteer at local horse farm for helping disabled kids. Not my cup of tea after growing up on a ranch! (but my sis LOVES it!).

Some people LOVE people, some love Plants, some L animals, some L crafts, some Teaching, some learning.

Do what fits and makes you feel you have served a worthwhile cause.

Our days are numbered (fewer daily)

Old 12-15-2016, 07:24 PM

3,137 posts, read 1,823,690 times
There are definitely politics in volunteer work. I have done tons of volunteer work. Politics are just as bad in any workplace. There is also competition amongst volunteers to do certain things. I recently volunteered to teach ESL. Got lesson plans ready and took time away from my family to attend the first class. When I walked in, they told me someone else was taking over, just like that. It was a woman who decided at the last minute she wanted to teach ESL, and she was friends with the director, so the director booted me out so her friend could take my place. The irony is, that the woman wound up having to quit after the first class because of a family issue. Then, they humbly asked me to come back and I told them to go get effed.

And if you say you want to stop volunteering you can get labeled a bad person. Volunteers are expected to be saints and persevere no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement