Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 10:08 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
...Now I volunteer to help distribute pet food to those elderly people who might be in need at certain times.
That's a great idea. (I can't rep you without being ore promiscuous in my repping). I imagine there are some elderly who might like a pet but don't have one because of logistics and cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 10:51 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Too many people come to volunteer with the wrong attitude. They should ask "what would you like me to do" when some want to tell them what they are going to do. Some people want to change the way things are done. It doesn't matter if your way is easier others have been doing it their way for years and it is much easier for them to teach people that way.

If you don't believe in the mission don't show up. Many threads on here ask about meeting someone or making friends and there are always some who suggest volunteering. That is the wrong reason to volunteer. Other threads mention boredom and sure enough some people suggest volunteering. That is also a wrong reason to volunteer.

I see people are complaining about "the person that runs things." Every organization needs that person who will say the things others are afraid to say. In one organization I am that person. If you are doing it wrong, think it should be done your way, PO other people, it would be better if you would just stay home. Suggestions are fine after you see how things work.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Too many people come to volunteer with the wrong attitude. They should ask "what would you like me to do" when some want to tell them what they are going to do. Some people want to change the way things are done. It doesn't matter if your way is easier others have been doing it their way for years and it is much easier for them to teach people that way.

If you don't believe in the mission don't show up. Many threads on here ask about meeting someone or making friends and there are always some who suggest volunteering. That is the wrong reason to volunteer. Other threads mention boredom and sure enough some people suggest volunteering. That is also a wrong reason to volunteer.

I see people are complaining about "the person that runs things." Every organization needs that person who will say the things others are afraid to say. In one organization I am that person. If you are doing it wrong, think it should be done your way, PO other people, it would be better if you would just stay home. Suggestions are fine after you see how things work.
I know this is anecdotal, but I have to share my experience, to give you an example.

Library group going to have a small function. Asked the lady in charge what needed to be done. Where things were so we could set up. Told not to worry about it.

show up early the next day to pouting and yelling because we had not done XYZ - things we had asked for the day before. Telling everyone around that she always has to do everything.

Others have worked with her for years, so treat her with kid gloves. She is a city employee too. They still help, to me it just wasn't my thing. I do help with monetary donations.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:56 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Too many people come to volunteer with the wrong attitude. They should ask "what would you like me to do" when some want to tell them what they are going to do. . . . .
I mostly disagree with this. I do think volunteers need to investigate volunteer jobs and only volunteer for ones they will like to do. But if I'm not getting paid money, I'm not going to accept being assigned something that I know I will not enjoy doing.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:56 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
No thanks. Years ago we volunteered to help with the initial training for a dog to assist the blind. It was a horrendous experience. The poor puppy wanted to play. Not allowed. No chasing of sticks. No frivolity. Instead we were supposed to stand on the dog's leash and hold its head to the floor while we ate dinner. I understand the need for a highly trained dog but that was not something I could handle.
This is no longer the way seeing eye, and most reputable puppy training organizations operate. My daughter lived in the puppy apartments and raised two seeing eye pups. They are encouraged to play, are given specific toys, the rules are more realistic and specific to their future careers and include things like not sleeping in a humans bed, and only eating dog food, etc.

Regardless, I think they person was encouraging YOU to get a dog and raise/train it to be a therapy dog. My oldest dog was trained as such and once a month we take her to the senior home and let the residents fuss over her. It makes her and their day.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:05 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
.... My oldest dog was trained as such and once a month we take her to the senior home and let the residents fuss over her. It makes her and their day.
It is sad to think the highlight of the day is a visit from a dog. I hope I go before I get to that point in life. I am sure I could not stand to do therapy dog visits. That would be more sadness than I could take.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I am puzzled about the whole volunteer idea. Perhaps you can explain. What would make it something that you would LOVE to do? Is it the idea of doing as much as possible to help others or is it finding something that is fun for you to do?
I am not yet retired (though starting to go through the motions of picking the area to buy the "vacation/retirement house") but I volunteer. My favorite thing to do is one I started with a couple of friends. We are all marine scientists and wanted to encourage more children of color to consider STEM as a career, so we started a free marine science one week long camp in our county. We donated our times to be teachers for a week in the summer, and we both find it fun and enjoy helping kids discover things about themselves and their community they didn't already know.

Other volunteering things I enjoy are cooking once a month, at our local shelter. My friends and I take charge of one particular night a month from planning to cooking and then we hang out and eat with the people. That one has a very fun social atmosphere, and the people who come to eat with use really appreciate it.

Another one, is once or twice a month I take my dogs to the local retirement home. It actually started as a demonstration with a dog agility group, to see the dogs compete, but a few of the dogs were also therapy dogs so we stayed and spent a couple hours with the residents chatting and letting them enjoy petting the pups.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
It is sad to think the highlight of the day is a visit from a dog. I hope I go before I get to that point in life. I am sure I could not stand to do therapy dog visits. That would be more sadness than I could take.
Wow, aren't you a ray of sunshine.

I suspect it maybe for the best that you don't volunteer.

Anyway, yes many of the residents are animal lovers, who are no longer in a position to care for animals of their own. When the animals visit for a few hours they certainly enjoy it. And I enjoy bringing that back to them.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh, I see. Yes, you're right. I'm sure others will have better luck than me. I guess I just wanted to let people know that it might not be all that they'd hoped. That you may have to deal with group dynamics which can take away the joy. And that some small towns might have such established cliques, that you may not be welcomed, etc.

I just know that when many here are looking at retiring somewhere where they don't know anyone, in an area that might be in a different area of the US, and might have a different culture (which can even just include a US small town that is mainly fishermen as opposed to a US town that is mainly white collar workers, etc.), or mainly consist of a population that has lived there all of their lives and they all know each other for the most part, etc., that just thinking "Oh, I'll volunteer and be welcomed because all organizations always need more volunteers," might not be as great as you thought it might be.

Anyway, I think you know what I'm saying. It's something else that really needs to be considered when looking at where to retire. Something to add to the list of considerations is, "What if none of the volunteer options works out for me? What other social outlets are there?"
I have seen similar things, particularly in dog rescue groups, where people utilize the platform to work out some of their social issues. Luckily IME they have been the exception not the rule. Also, it would likely be a good idea, when leaving an organization like the ones you describe, to email the volunteer organizer, thank them for the opportunity but honestly tell them your leaving because of individuals making the volunteering unpleasant. Maybe if they know, they will do something about it.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:19 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
I volunteered to help 3rd graders at our local elementary school with their reading. It was a wonderful experience and every single one of the children ended up reading at grade level. They came from families who didn't read with them at home, and they just needed some extra attention and practice to catch up to the others. I was inspired to do it because as a 3rd grader, I was in the hospital and thus fell behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement