Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 12:29 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,179,920 times

Advertisements

So, can someone tell me why they discontinued making these? I dropped cable TV 10 years ago. I've used the money I saved to acquire a nice library of TV series I like, and I'd like to be able to load multiple discs so I don't have to get up and change discs just to move on to another show. "Marathon" viewing of one program is not my thing. One or maybe two episodes of something, then on to another show. I refuse to pay money or deal with advertisements (especially blared at 150 decibels) to view old programs. Prices for entire series have become very reasonable.

But having to fiddle with changing discs every 30 or 60 minutes is a pain in the arse. Considering the useless junk they market (like 3" TV screens to watch movies, like wtf?) but mysteriously, a multi disc DVD player can't be had? I smell a rat.

Am I missing something techno here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 01:09 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,331,059 times
Have you thought about asking in the Tech forum or TV? And where are you looking??

I just found this... quite easily.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...sc+dvd+players

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_9rfcfuqw1r_b

Old 12-17-2016, 01:17 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,179,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Have you thought about asking in the Tech forum or TV? And where are you looking??

I just found this... quite easily.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...sc+dvd+players

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_9rfcfuqw1r_b

Those are CD changers, not DVD changers. I happened on the same product in my google search. Thanks though. I'll try one of those other forums you mentioned.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:25 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,331,059 times
https://www.amazon.com/SONY-DVP-NC61...sc+dvd+players

This is one listed on the top link above. Other than that, then not sure at all what you are looking for.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:38 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,842,604 times
They became obsolete with the advent of MP3 players, such as the iPOD. When you can store many more songs than are on six albums, who needs it? Tablets can store many videos, as well.

Last edited by pvande55; 12-17-2016 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 12-17-2016, 03:25 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,478,374 times
^ actually, DVD changers as well as blue ray changers, are gone because people stopped buying them. I guess most people found that walking across a room, pushing a button and plopping in a new disk is not that difficult.

You can still find a 400 disc changer from Sony, but that's over $2000.

MP3 did in CDs, NOT DVD. Streaming is doing in DVD and BlueRay.

If you're determined, your best bets are (1) garage sales (2) craigslist and (3) ebay. Buyer beware of course, but these things generally work, until they don't. Nothing to go out of adjustment or to degrade performance. Just work or not.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,312,397 times
I can't believe how inexpensive BluRay DVD players from quality manufacturers are on the market nowadays, with wifi and the ability to watch NETFLIX, Amazon Prime, listen to Pandora music and even serve as a photo screen saver $50-80/each.

To think how much my family paid for BetaMax, VHSs back in the day.

I'm assuming the market for continuously playing 5-6 DVDs wasn't there. I can understand CD playing continuously/shuffle but not movies. Major coach potato for me to do that. Maybe good for nursing home or person w/ mobility issues.

These machines are pretty much disposable anymore and not worth getting fixed like the old days.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:22 PM

5,238 posts, read 3,583,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
So, can someone tell me why they discontinued making these? ....

Am I missing something techno here?
They are in the same category as VHS, audio cassettes, 78 rpm shellac records & stereopticon viewers: obsolete. Granted there are those of us with gray hair that may still use them but not enough to keep manufacturers in business. I would say check craiglist & eBay for replacing a player, but I wouldn't recommend that.

My suggestion, as someone who has a big obsolete cd collection myself, is to get a computer with an hdmi jack to plug into your tv to playout, but make sure that there is a dvd drive, they are being phased out now. But even better is to get those discs copied onto a big external HD & use something like Plex or kodi (free) to view your media.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:52 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,478,374 times
^ you recommend overkill. Blueray players also play DVD. Blueray will be around for a while still. If one is worried, buy a handful to stockpile.

If someone has a big DVD collection, it would be a lot of work to rip them and put them on a drive. Yes, a 4GB drive can store over 400 disks, but who has the time to put them on the drive?

Old 12-17-2016, 05:35 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,371,229 times
I'll be pleased if my back enters retirement with full disc capability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement