U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 11:44 AM

91 posts, read 76,094 times

Advertisements

I tried speaking to social security today, the representative was not particularly helpful. The question is: if my spouse dies how much of his soc. security do I get? She informed me that I would get his if it were greater than mine (which it is). But THEN she added the amount depends on whether I get another income, such as pension. And I know I WOULD get 1/2 of his pension from NYC Transit Authority if he dies but she could not tell me how it would impact on what soc. sec. would pay to me. It's not a great deal from the NYC pension, but enough to put me slightly over poverty level. She implied I'd have to wait until he dies to see. Well of course I doubt that's true, but any information you all might have about this could be helpful. (Thanks.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 01:35 PM

91 posts, read 76,094 times
I did not know that the s.s. payments could depend upon retirement pension but it seems that's what the customer service rep from s.s. was saying by phone. And had no specifics about it -- only that maybe my local office could give me more info. ridiculous.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:39 PM

71,643 posts, read 71,777,271 times
it only depends if you had a job that either did not contribute the full amount to social security or contributed on ly a partial amount because they had their own pension plan .

my wife gets a pension from nyc dept of transportation and it does not effect her ss .

how old will you be if you take survivor benefits ? how old was husband and did he file for ss early ?

Old 12-17-2016, 04:26 AM

979 posts, read 606,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shleptik View Post
I tried speaking to social security today, the representative was not particularly helpful. The question is: if my spouse dies how much of his soc. security do I get? She informed me that I would get his if it were greater than mine (which it is). But THEN she added the amount depends on whether I get another income, such as pension. And I know I WOULD get 1/2 of his pension from NYC Transit Authority if he dies but she could not tell me how it would impact on what soc. sec. would pay to me. It's not a great deal from the NYC pension, but enough to put me slightly over poverty level. She implied I'd have to wait until he dies to see. Well of course I doubt that's true, but any information you all might have about this could be helpful. (Thanks.)
Some municipal and other branches of government employees did not pay into social security and some did. Sounds like your husband paid into social security, so to get a ballpark amount of what you would receive as his survivor all he has to do is establish an account on the SS web site and this will provide him survivor benefit amounts. Included on this web site is info on the percentages of the amount of survivor's benefit you will receive related to the age which you choose to begin to collect it. If your husband did not pay into social security there is what is called a WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision) and there is info on this as well on the SS web site.

My husband passed away at age 49 long before he was eligible to collect SS, and I had to pull teeth to find out what my survivor's benefit would be because SS has to do an extensive calculation involving what his income would have likely been had his lived to FRA which would determine the amount of his benefit. I had to enlist the help of a state senator to get this info so I could better plan what works best for me for claiming. With your husband still alive you should have no trouble finding out the info you are seeking.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:04 AM

the op has to remember though , that what she will actually get is going to depend on whether she is of full retirement age when she takes survivor benefits or not . her husbands amount is only the base not her amount unless she too is of full retirement age

Old 12-20-2016, 02:49 PM

527 posts, read 1,091,084 times
The survivor benefit is determined by your age and how much the deceased spouse's benefit is.
Assuming no disability or children

You must be at least 60 years old
If you are at your full retirement age, you would get the higher of your SS benefit or 100% of his.

If you are between 60 and FRA, your benefit is a percentage of his benefit
You at 60 years old, your benefit is 71 1/2 % of his
That percentage increases as you age, 60 -> FRA 71 1/2% to 99%
then at FRA and older, it is 100%

You can only get 1 check (benefit), whichever is higher, your regular SS benefit or the Survivor benefit

Old 12-21-2016, 02:39 AM

there is a 2nd factor involved too .

to avoid a massive cut if both the spouse took ss early and you the survivor took survivor benefits early there is a floor put in place that uses multipliers based on the deceased spouses full benefit regardless of when they took it or what they were getting .

even if the deceased took ss early the survivor would see a floor at age 60 of the deceased's full benefit x.61 . at 62 they would see the full benefit x.71 . there is a chart on the ss website for all the ages pre fra .

other wise a deceased spouse that filed at 62 and a spouse that filed for survivor benefits at 60 would really get hammered if it weren't for the floors put in place .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement