U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:54 PM

6,288 posts, read 3,460,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ you recommend overkill. Blueray players also play DVD. Blueray will be around for a while still. If one is worried, buy a handful to stockpile.

If someone has a big DVD collection, it would be a lot of work to rip them and put them on a drive. Yes, a 4GB drive can store over 400 disks, but who has the time to put them on the drive?
I'm sure you meant 4TB otherwise would love to know what compression algorithm is being used!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 11:11 AM

13,650 posts, read 8,569,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'll be pleased if my back enters retirement with full disc capability.
I hope it does.

You ain't gonna believe the cost of getting one of those discs swapped out!

Old 12-18-2016, 12:21 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,153,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
If someone has a big DVD collection, it would be a lot of work to rip them and put them on a drive.
I have backup many of my DVDs on hard drive with not too much time or effort.

You don't have to 'rip' the DVD, just store them in ISO file format. Free programs like IMGBURN can create image file (ISO file) from a disc in few minutes.

These ISO files can be played on your laptop or computer using free programs like VLC. You can create a playlist by adding desired ISO files to the list. Use the fast forward or rewind 'buttons' to the desired file or just let them play continuously.

If you want to watch the DVDs on big screen TVs, depending on what hardware that you have, you can use appropriate cables to connect your laptop/desktop to the monitor or home network wifi to stream the content.

Here are the links to imgburn and vlc websites

The Official ImgBurn Website

VideoLAN - VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS!

Old 12-18-2016, 08:56 PM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times
I'd wager finding any sort of new DVD changer is going to be tough. You might find a BluRay with a few disc changer, but I haven't seen changers in years.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:43 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,265,616 times
Once again, my answer matches the engineering answer with Belladl. I've used imgburn for years, but the problem is the size. ISOs today are 5GBs for standard DVD, and 7GB + for Bluray. Even a TB disk fills fast. And that needs a backup. And then there is copy protection. It's almost easier to just store the DVDs. But then I don't collect a lot of movies. I've owned 2 different quality multi DVD players (bought for the ability use as mutli CD players, and DVD as needed, to save space and connections) and both became erratic with even a single DVD after a very few years, but still played CDs. Yet, every single single play DVD player I've ever bought still works. Go figure. My garage has an awesome DVD player in the workout area, that was pre HD. Heck, my mancave has the HD HDMI DVD player before the Bluray replaced it in the house. And it also has the original HIFI VHS/DVD combo player.

But as mentioned, there is zero market for DVD changers, with ever changing formats and smart options etc, now that streaming and cloud storage are the preferred method of video ownership. Ebay is your best bet. And now there is a Super Bluray?? Ridiculous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or