U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2016, 04:56 PM
 
3,103 posts, read 1,720,738 times
Reputation: 3497

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Oh just a point here. Even in retirement you will not stop arguing about the kids. They never really go away.
this is true. not argue as much as worry about them, in our case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2016, 05:05 PM
 
5,426 posts, read 2,825,425 times
Reputation: 10156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
It is becoming more and more difficult to have an enjoyable back and forth conversation with my husband of 45 years. Despite his wearing hearing aids, I have to repeat myself several times before he understands what I said. That takes the joy out of a casual, spontaneous throw-away remark. So we are kind of down to basic, necessary conversation but we do many things together. It may sound mean but it's exhausting repeating everything you say and trying to help him with what the waiter or checker said. I believe there is some dementia starting up, too.
I have the same difficulty with my husband and his hearing aid. To make things worse, often he removes it to put in earbuds but I can't see the iPod or whatever. Then he is totally deaf because he cranked up the iPod volume really high. Or, if he has the hearing aid in he accuses me of yelling because I assume he doesn't have it in and I too get tired of repeating things three or four times. No dementia yet, but I see signs that he might well get it fairly early. I call it the rigid-brain thing, where it seems he cannot even see what should be an obvious, common-sense way of doing things that happens to differ from his habitual way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 12:20 PM
 
676 posts, read 333,949 times
Reputation: 1221
I talk to my husband at 8 am, 12 pm, and 7 pm on weekdays. Usually for about half an hour. We may talk more than that, but rarely less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2016, 01:55 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Reputation: 9839
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
this is true. not argue as much as worry about them, in our case.
I just talked to my husband about this. We are going to stop worry about them. Let's see how easy it is to follow through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2016, 04:35 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Reputation: 14275
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
So here I am at my PC typing away in CD and doing other stuff. My husband is in his 'den' (which it really is because he is a hoarder and a shopper of Dollar stores) and working on his hobby - photography. he is trying to learn a new editing software.

It is cold and snowy outside so no desire to go out and we are home warm and cozy in our space and have talked to each other for maybe an hour or two if you put all the minutes together. I would feel lonely if he were away or something but this feels fine. We both fixed a leak problem in the morning - he fixed it, I talked. We ate together, I cooked, he cleaned. But often he wants to eat later and I eat by myself and he eats later. Sometimes I wonder if this is normal because, you know, it is important to be normal, right?

How much conversation do you have with your spouse over a day? Is it enough, too much, just right?
IMO that's one of the joys of having lived with a spouse for so many years in a good relationship, you have so much shared history you're comfortable just being together, and you can talk when you want to, or not, you're just that comfortable in each other's presence even when you're not saying anything. I know my husband and I can spend hours in an activity, maybe driving in the car, each occupied with our own thoughts, not saying anything out loud. But this can change in an instant when one of us says something, either in reaction to something we see around us, or a shared experience, or concern, or just want to share a thought, and it's like talking to an old friend, we laugh at how we know in advance what the other one will say, and sometimes finish each other's sentences.

As for "normal"?. I don't think there is a benchmark for how much time someone spends talking to a spouse, it's as individual as the people in the relationship are.

I don't see why this sharing of your space can't expend to other activities such as eating if you want to eat at different times, if that is what works for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2016, 04:51 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Reputation: 14275
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I have the same difficulty with my husband and his hearing aid. To make things worse, often he removes it to put in earbuds but I can't see the iPod or whatever. Then he is totally deaf because he cranked up the iPod volume really high. Or, if he has the hearing aid in he accuses me of yelling because I assume he doesn't have it in and I too get tired of repeating things three or four times. No dementia yet, but I see signs that he might well get it fairly early. I call it the rigid-brain thing, where it seems he cannot even see what should be an obvious, common-sense way of doing things that happens to differ from his habitual way.

LOL, my husband is also hard of hearing, but I'm never sure when he's wearing his hearing aids or not when we are home. Sometimes I swear his hearing is selective, whether he's not hearing me or is ignoring me is hard to tell sometimes. When I'm trying to get his attention I'll call something that sounds like "HALLOHALLO'ELLOOOO" at him. Guess I have said that one time too many since now our parakeet has picked it up so she says it, at the top of her lungs, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2016, 01:57 PM
 
4,343 posts, read 6,056,653 times
Reputation: 10428
My husband is a babbler. He never shuts up. But real conversation, that's something different. Do I count all the times I have to repeat myself to get on his frequency? We have our best real conversation when we're driving, taking walks or out to dinner. Real conversation also takes real listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2016, 02:33 PM
 
5,426 posts, read 2,825,425 times
Reputation: 10156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, my husband is also hard of hearing, but I'm never sure when he's wearing his hearing aids or not when we are home. Sometimes I swear his hearing is selective, whether he's not hearing me or is ignoring me is hard to tell sometimes. When I'm trying to get his attention I'll call something that sounds like "HALLOHALLO'ELLOOOO" at him. Guess I have said that one time too many since now our parakeet has picked it up so she says it, at the top of her lungs, too.
Selective hearing, LOL, yup.

I love that your parakeet is echoing your attempts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2016, 03:28 PM
 
761 posts, read 638,090 times
Reputation: 2229
Men just want someone they can be with who will
Leave them alone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 03:05 AM
 
Location: east coast
51 posts, read 27,356 times
Reputation: 145
both retired. he hates watching tv. I love to read and be on computer. He putters around the house. If he is watching a show he likes on tv at night, he gets annoyed if I say anything to him. I can tell because he will grab the remote and mute it so I have to repeat what I said, the look on his face tells me I'm bothering him.

he once told me that I can take one sentence and turn it into a novel. example; the lady crossed the street.
my version, hey honey I was looking out the window it was such a beautiful sunny day. I noticed a lady in a really pretty dress, it was came down to her knees. the pattern was so pretty and her shoes matched her dress perfect as I watched her cross the street. lol

He will stop me in the middle of a story I am telling him about and say honey this really doesn't interest me why would I care about bla bla bla so have learned to keep quiet and read my book and don't mention things that I find interesting because he could care less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top