U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:11 AM

302 posts, read 637,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, my husband is also hard of hearing, but I'm never sure when he's wearing his hearing aids or not when we are home. Sometimes I swear his hearing is selective, whether he's not hearing me or is ignoring me is hard to tell sometimes. When I'm trying to get his attention I'll call something that sounds like "HALLOHALLO'ELLOOOO" at him. Guess I have said that one time too many since now our parakeet has picked it up so she says it, at the top of her lungs, too.
Hahahahahah! Be glad you didn't repeat "can you hear me now?" Hahahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 AM

2,742 posts, read 729,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired2014 View Post
both retired. he hates watching tv. I love to read and be on computer. He putters around the house. If he is watching a show he likes on tv at night, he gets annoyed if I say anything to him. I can tell because he will grab the remote and mute it so I have to repeat what I said, the look on his face tells me I'm bothering him.

he once told me that I can take one sentence and turn it into a novel. example; the lady crossed the street.
my version, hey honey I was looking out the window it was such a beautiful sunny day. I noticed a lady in a really pretty dress, it was came down to her knees. the pattern was so pretty and her shoes matched her dress perfect as I watched her cross the street. lol

He will stop me in the middle of a story I am telling him about and say honey this really doesn't interest me why would I care about bla bla bla so have learned to keep quiet and read my book and don't mention things that I find interesting because he could care less.
I find this so sad. Not listening attentively is one thing; all of us long-term marrieds are guilty of it. But why does he feel compelled to stop you from talking to him? Ideally he'd be interested because it's something that interests you, but realistically, we are separate people from our spouses so we won't be 100% in sync with what interests them and what they want to talk about. So the next best scenario is to at least politely feign some interest, just as we would do with someone like a boss who was telling us something that wasn't of interest to us personally. If unable to do that, then at least he could let you talk while he thinks about something else. It wouldn't be fun when you learned that he hadn't heard a word you've said, but at least it wouldn't seem quite as hostile as stopping you in the middle of a story.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:51 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,733,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired2014 View Post
both retired. he hates watching tv. I love to read and be on computer. He putters around the house. If he is watching a show he likes on tv at night, he gets annoyed if I say anything to him. I can tell because he will grab the remote and mute it so I have to repeat what I said, the look on his face tells me I'm bothering him.

he once told me that I can take one sentence and turn it into a novel. example; the lady crossed the street.
my version, hey honey I was looking out the window it was such a beautiful sunny day. I noticed a lady in a really pretty dress, it was came down to her knees. the pattern was so pretty and her shoes matched her dress perfect as I watched her cross the street. lol

He will stop me in the middle of a story I am telling him about and say honey this really doesn't interest me why would I care about bla bla bla so have learned to keep quiet and read my book and don't mention things that I find interesting because he could care less.
That is the worst thing when it is impossible to communicate with the one person you spend entire days with.

My husband is like you, everything IS a novel with him. I like listening to stories but there are times when I am not because I am taking time out from something I am doing that is important or of interest to me and giving him my full attention and I think it is rude to abuse that if he will not come to the point. So, yes we have that problem as well and I tell him exactly what your husband tells you. I have learnt to tell that more gently and he has I think learnt to get a sense story time or plain summary

One can feign interest but that does not fool anyone and I find that even more annoying and rude than if he were to tell me I am busy now can we talk later, which he does.

I think effective communication is 75% of relationship. We both are still learning,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or