Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:17 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times

Advertisements

Not only is the world changing, but the rate of change in the world is accelerating. This creates a situation where knowledge is growing exponentially. Unfortunately for many seniors they are being left behind technologically. In addition the daily news cycle just seems to accelerate and we have more knowledge available on a daily basis than once even seemed digestible. What we arrive at is a world of knowledge that is so vast and ever-changing that no one, "wise" senior or techno-savvy genius, can hope to keep up. There are few people whose expertise I would defer to, a few with very specialized areas of knowledge, but for the most part, no, I do not consult "elders", because at 58, I feel that my experience is at least as valid as theirs.

I do wish my nieces and nephews would ask me for advice, I do think I have a few ideas that could help them, but they are on their own paths and do not ask. I don't believe in offering unsolicited advice, so... what can one do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 07:17 PM

28 posts, read 26,886 times
Unfortunately for many seniors they are being left behind technologically. In addition the daily news cycle just seems to accelerate and we have more knowledge available on a daily basis than once even seemed digestible. What we arrive at is a world of knowledge that is so vast and ever-changing that no one, "wise" senior or techno-savvy genius, can hope to keep up. [/quote]

Technology is convenience. Wisdom is experience that is recognized and is not programmable. We still need the basics. It keeps you resourceful.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:23 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelife57 View Post
Unfortunately for many seniors they are being left behind technologically.......
Actually I think there are fewer and fewer seniors in that category. The cutoff is probably about 85 years old. I know a lot of seniors over 85 who are tech savvy and have no difficulty with general computer use, emails, word processing, smartphones and the internet. Those under 85 were typically exposed during their working years and have more or less kept up. We have all heard the stories of the grandkids helping the grandparents use a computer or cell phone or DVD. Those were cute stories but are long since out of date.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:36 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Growing up, I used to hear that age brings wisdom; the older people are, the wiser they are likely to be.

If I believed everything I read on the Internet, though, I'd think that people over the age of 80-90 not only aren't wise; they are (at best) lovable nuisances, who have to be protected from scams that wouldn't fool a 10-year-old.

I do have a number of relatives in that age range, and I have to say that it wouldn't occur to me to consult them for wise counsel. Some are demented. The ones who aren't, seem to have stopped expanding their knowledge since around the time their oldest kids left home.

So I wondered: Do you have one or more very-elders who are so much wiser than you, that you go to them for counsel and insight? If you yourself are in the 80-90 age range, do younger people come to you for counsel and insight? If they don't come to you, do you feel they are missing out on something - that you would have such counsel to offer, if approached?
Yes. If they were smart people to begin with, then they are smart people in their 80s and 90s, provided there are no health problems. The prospective of their history and experience is the most valuable. As for the ones who weren't smart to begin with, those people need assistance so they don't get scammed.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:51 AM

633 posts, read 581,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Growing up, I used to hear that age brings wisdom; the older people are, the wiser they are likely to be.

If I believed everything I read on the Internet, though, I'd think that people over the age of 80-90 not only aren't wise; they are (at best) lovable nuisances, who have to be protected from scams that wouldn't fool a 10-year-old.

I do have a number of relatives in that age range, and I have to say that it wouldn't occur to me to consult them for wise counsel. Some are demented. The ones who aren't, seem to have stopped expanding their knowledge since around the time their oldest kids left home.

So I wondered: Do you have one or more very-elders who are so much wiser than you, that you go to them for counsel and insight? If you yourself are in the 80-90 age range, do younger people come to you for counsel and insight? If they don't come to you, do you feel they are missing out on something - that you would have such counsel to offer, if approached?
55 is around when knowledge peaks. You have accumlated a lot of knowledge but brain is not shot.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:17 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
My wise elders are on the net. I know no one alive. I still have 3 aunts in their 80s, not sure I would call them wise elders or lovable nuisances. Neither I guess.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:39 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
55 is around when knowledge peaks. You have accumlated a lot of knowledge but brain is not shot.

Not for me. I just hit 70 and am taking 4 semester hours of courses twice during the year. I am teaching myself to move from being technical to artistic. I have made a lot of progress developing my own style of painting with pastels. I have taken up archery again. I don't have the physical strength I used to have but the internet has shown me how to develop my archery form. I have also discovered a very interesting field in sports psychology. I am learning how to integrate my conscious and subconscious mind in the pursuit of better results in archery and in other similar sports. Since retiring, I have broadened my experiences with travel and a host of new goals and accomplishments.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelife57 View Post
Technology is convenience. Wisdom is experience that is recognized and is not programmable. We still need the basics. It keeps you resourceful.
Good time (tho late) to 'harvest' the wealth of information for use in future AI.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:21 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
No. I got tired hearing about erections and the Battle of the Bulge.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:06 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

In any case, I think it is clear that the days of the "wise elders" has long past.
Yes, the societies and cultures that have a place in their structure for such persons are rather few and far between.

But probably just as important is the fact that as societies have become more technologically complex they have tended to feel/believe that wisdom is a function of the quantity of information at one's disposal.

This strikes me as confusing wisdom with ego, and a sure sign of the absence of proportion and wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement