U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 05:55 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,787,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Thanks. The price for the lifetime pass will go from $10 to $80 sometime before the end of 2017. I am eligible in September 2017 so may or may not make the deadline.
WHAT??? Holy crap! What's next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 06:52 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I'm kind of going through something similar right now.

For the past couple of years I was teaching several young students piano which kept me busy two or three days a week and gave me money for fun things like concerts and other items I wanted. The day before I was to sign the new school contract they told me they had given the room, the only one with a piano, to the everyday music teacher. I was able to get one kid to come to the house instead but not many kids in this area and I haven't been able to find many seniors interested in classical music lessons.

I have a couple of friends here I'm close to but it seems recently they have all gotten boyfriends or gotten married. They still have time for me but it's become limited. Plus they seem to be frequenting places that are an hour away now and traveling a lot more which I can't do. I have no one to explore things with suddenly or go on day trips with. It's kind of depressing as it all changed at once. It doesn't help that my son is overseas for a year so I don't even get to see him.
Perhaps you could bring the joy of music into pediatric nursing homes or hospitals. Your state may have local "arts councils" to which you can apply to bring these programs to disadvantaged youth. I have gotten several from my state, around $500 to $1000. Not a lot of money, but it compensates for the time.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:43 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,643,263 times
You might have SADD seasonal affective disorder.
Which mean your not getting enough sunlight.

Get yourself a light, sit under it 10 min. a day and see if this helps.

Move to the SW if you don't have family ties. Lots to do and decent weather. 40's to 60's during the winter.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:33 AM

6,307 posts, read 4,755,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
You might have SADD seasonal affective disorder.
Which mean your not getting enough sunlight.

Get yourself a light, sit under it 10 min. a day and see if this helps.

Move to the SW if you don't have family ties. Lots to do and decent weather. 40's to 60's during the winter.

The current research shows the SAD lights are about as effective as a deer whistle on your vehicle. The is no actual data to show any benefits of either.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:50 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,270,926 times
If you need to get a part time job in order to pay for a $70 one time fee increase, you have a lot more problems to worry about than a life time pass to the NPs!

Old 12-22-2016, 12:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
If you need to get a part time job in order to pay for a $70 one time fee increase, you have a lot more problems to worry about than a life time pass to the NPs!
Just trying to stay OT and within Thread conversation WITHOUT mentioning the word 'Depression' (Forum police, doing their OWN PT job in retirement)

Chances are slim I will live to NP eligibility age, that could depress some, but I may go out and find another enjoyable retirement job to pull me through and add to the potential '2017 NP visitation plan'.

Getting a retirement job in a NP would mitigate the cost pressures of visiting. (Not EZ / possible for OP since she has dogs in tow)

Old 12-22-2016, 01:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
... Yes...me and my dog. We will open up to the world again.

I asked a woman in my complex if she would like to come over for a glass of wine. She said yes. She too, is alone, ...And I am having lunch with a friend on Thursday.

Interesting note...both of these women are at least 20 years younger than me and we click big time. Go figure!
Hope today's lunch date was good, looks like you have found a couple ways to reach out and get back on track.

Now that we know a little more about you, our advice can be more direct (tho many 'others & situations' read and benefit from forums.)

So.. What to do when you are disappointed in the previous job situation, and stuck at home with pets during a long cold winter?

You are doing it!
Follow your passions, Look around the neighborhood, encourage and be encouraged by others, take another step.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:52 PM

4,981 posts, read 3,470,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The current research shows the SAD lights are about as effective as a deer whistle on your vehicle. The is no actual data to show any benefits of either.
An intern training with my doctor said I should get one, that it really helped. I don't know. My doctor had me take a vitamin D test & it was really low. Taking the vitamin has really helped me.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:25 PM

6,307 posts, read 4,755,565 times
A SAD light will not help with Vitamin D levels. Special UV lights can help but the SAD lights block UV to prevent the harmful effects. I also had a physician tell me to try a SAD light to see if I had more energy in the winter. He wasn't sure but thought it might be worth a try. That is why I did the research.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:52 PM

4,981 posts, read 3,470,444 times
I didn't buy one. I just thought I would share what I was to!d. The vitamin D is helping me a lot though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement