U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 11:47 AM

12,584 posts, read 15,050,467 times

Advertisements

Most SSDI applications get denied first time around. Some serious ailments get approved the first time.
Here's the flowchart from the SSA on the disability determination process:

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/rsnotes/rsn2013-01.html

Attorney's are usually needed during appeals and in front of a ALJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
To add to this, many/most SSDI claims end up in front of a judge where an attorney while not required are necessary in my opinion. I personally know of one current claim for a person who absolutely deserves to be on SSDI and the doctors reports were very clear that she can't work due to injuries.
Hired an attorney and after almost a year she started getting checks (but never got to court). Then after about 6 months they cut her off with no notice and after she called they said they made an error giving it to her. After another 7 months they started them up again and even back paid her then after 3 months told her "ooops, we made a mistake starting payments again and by the way, return your back payments".
She's still waiting to get in front of a judge now going on 2 years, who will most likely approve her claim based on medical evidence.

This is not the first time I've heard of crap like this with SSDI, rarely have I ever heard of people getting it on first application or before at least a year of run around.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 12:37 PM

643 posts, read 514,635 times
4/7ths of my extended family are on ssdi for their "ailments." They are all able to work just fine under the table however, they know which docs to go to to get certified. My sister's boyfriend and his ENTIRE FAMILY just hired a lawyer to get them all on SSDI. It is the new "welfare without the shame.". Also it is entirely possible that your benefits will be reduced drastically when you turn 6? and move from SSDI to SS or SSI. This will happen to my sister who never paid into SS.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:44 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,520,569 times
How many people drawing SSDI really intend to go off it ?

Sure, they want to work to make extra money, but if you believe their goal is to quit receiving those monthly checks $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I got bridges to sell you.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:14 PM

31,024 posts, read 13,578,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
4/7ths of my extended family are on ssdi for their "ailments." They are all able to work just fine under the table however, they know which docs to go to to get certified. My sister's boyfriend and his ENTIRE FAMILY just hired a lawyer to get them all on SSDI. It is the new "welfare without the shame.". Also it is entirely possible that your benefits will be reduced drastically when you turn 6? and move from SSDI to SS or SSI. This will happen to my sister who never paid into SS.
It must suck to be in your family, I'm sorry about that, the few people in my family who are on SSDI couldn't work if their lives depended on it. But what is this about benefits being reduced when you turn 6? I'm guessing you meant 66, but you don't move from SSDI to SSI when you reach retirement age, and your SSDI check does not go down when you reach full retirement age, it stays the same, it just comes from a different fund.

"If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits when you reach full retirement age, your disability benefits automatically convert to retirement benefits, but the amount remains the same." https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/dqualify.html

Old 12-21-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Sure, they want to work to make extra money, but if you believe their goal is to quit receiving those monthly checks $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I got bridges to sell you.
How many people can "go off of it"? One-in-five men and nearly one-in-six women who enter the SSDI program and 1/3 of recipients receive less than $900 a month. https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/def..._7-17-2015.pdf

Old 12-21-2016, 01:55 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,984 times
Quote:
If your sister never worked then she is not on SSDI at best she is on SSI which IS welfare. If someone is on SSDI when they reach retirement age there is no difference in their payment. The original SSDI payment is figured based on the estimate of what their full retirement amount would be if they were FRA. All that happens when they reach that age is they start paying the same benefit out of a different account at the Social Security Administration.
SSI is welfare and not subject to those same rules and may in fact go down or be lost when a person reaches retirement age. in fact they will be forced to take early retirement at 62 if they qualify for it.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:17 PM

6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times
Quote:
. . . They are all able to work just fine under the table however, . . . .
My family is also about half on disability and the other half not - yet.

Yes, most people on disability are able to work just fine - for maybe a week, maybe a month. Then their ailment exacerbates and they can no longer work. Employers can't rely on them, and employers need to be able to rely that their employees will be able to work as expected.

For this reason, they are unemployable because of their disability.

Disability payments are skimpy, at best. It's a grim life, having no disposible income, not having enough to make any choices, not being able to accumulate enough to cover sudden, large bills like car repair or replacement.

I promise you, most people on disability would be more than happy to trade places with someone not on disability.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:33 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,520,569 times
Your 4th paragraph describes many people who get up everyday and work 40 + hours a week despite aches and pains.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:56 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,531,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

There are some, that I can guaranty you. I am also sure there are some who never will leaving willingly.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post

Lifetime Welfare was abolished in 1995... wow, look at what happened to the growth.. payments is HIGHER than receipts...
SSDI is not welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or