Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:42 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Your 4th paragraph describes many people who get up everyday and work 40 + hours a week despite aches and pains.
Aches and pains will *not* get you disability payments.

Ailments that cause - even if periodically - physical and/or mental inability to perform meaningful work will get you disability payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 06:43 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
4/7ths of my extended family are on ssdi for their "ailments." They are all able to work just fine under the table however, they know which docs to go to to get certified. My sister's boyfriend and his ENTIRE FAMILY just hired a lawyer to get them all on SSDI. It is the new "welfare without the shame.". Also it is entirely possible that your benefits will be reduced drastically when you turn 6? and move from SSDI to SS or SSI. This will happen to my sister who never paid into SS.
If your sister never paid into SS, she is ineligible for SSDI. https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10029.pdf (pp. 5-6 are most relevant to this issue.)

Old 12-21-2016, 06:47 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Your SSDI will convert to regular SSI at the current rate you're receiving (according to what SS told me) when you turn 65 so what's the point of worrying given your current age?
SSDI converts to regular Social Security at Full Retirement Age, which varies depending on your year of birth: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/retirechart.html

Old 12-21-2016, 07:02 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post

Lifetime Welfare was abolished in 1995... wow, look at what happened to the growth.. payments is HIGHER than receipts...
I feel sorry for the Chief Actuary of SSA every time I see nonsense like this.

In every friggin presentation, this guy has to explain not only WHY there was an increase in applications for disability benefits but that the increase was predicted many years ago. Perhaps the actuaries were able to predict this because, unlike the rest of us, they knew the exact years when the Boomers were "reaching their most disability-prone years" and that more women had joined the workforce. What they did not initially anticipate was a drop in the birthrate and, of course, the Great Recession (high unemployment=reduced receipts).

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibGraphs.html

https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityfacts/facts.html

[BTW, back in '95 the folks kicked off of TANF (welfare) were mothers with minor children. These were not people who were eligible for SS disability benefits.]

Old 12-21-2016, 08:39 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I went on SSDI because I could not stand or walk because or Arthritis, I got a job driving and was able to collect my full benefit until I turned 66 and then It converted automatically to Social Security at the exact same benefit. You do not lose any benefit when you switch from Disability to SS.

People who laugh at Arthritis are just jerks. They will find out eventually.
nope they'll be dead because Trump® Death Panels™. They're TREMENDOUS.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:41 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Aches and pains will *not* get you disability payments.

Ailments that cause - even if periodically - physical and/or mental inability to perform meaningful work will get you disability payments.

no, but a " bad back " can and will.

A guy who recently died lived the last 20 years on SSDI after a back injury.

A back so bad he could not work any job yet he had a deep tan in summer from sitting in a boat hours on end fishing.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:55 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
A back so bad he could not work any job yet he had a deep tan in summer from sitting in a boat hours on end fishing.
If it's so easy to get and it provides such a wonderful income that you can lay around on a boat all day fishing then why don't you apply for it?

Old 12-22-2016, 12:47 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It converts to regular SS, not SSI. SSI is the program for the disabled who don't have enough earnings to receive SSDI.
It is also the program that replaces Social Security for people over 66 who did not pay into Social Security. It pays a minimal income but it beats starving.

The SSI web site says, "It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income"

Old 12-22-2016, 06:39 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:

And your point is . . . ?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If it's so easy to get and it provides such a wonderful income that you can lay around on a boat all day fishing then why don't you apply for it?
some of us have ethics .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement