U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:09 AM

6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
some of us have ethics .
And some of us don't assume we know what disables other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 09:16 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,535,449 times
Quote:
no, but a " bad back " can and will.

A guy who recently died lived the last 20 years on SSDI after a back injury.

A back so bad he could not work any job yet he had a deep tan in summer from sitting in a boat hours on end fishing.
So what. What do you expect a disabled person on SSDI to do, sit in a chair inside a house/apartment watching soaps all day waiting to die?

Good heavens, the person found something to do that fit with his disability and within his income to wile away the hours in the day. I guess doing anything other than just waisting away in pasty silence is not permitted in your opinion.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:21 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,520,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So what. What do you expect a disabled person on SSDI to do, sit in a chair inside a house/apartment watching soaps all day waiting to die?

Good heavens, the person found something to do that fit with his disability and within his income to wile away the hours in the day. I guess doing anything other than just waisting away in pasty silence is not permitted in your opinion.
If you are well enough to drive your new pickup and fishing boat to the boat landing, back the boat trailer up and unload the boat, spend hours sitting in a boat,then repeat process to go home..........you should be able to hold down some type of a job.

Surprised anyone with a bad back can sit for hours in a boat with no discomfort.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:24 AM

15,224 posts, read 8,518,332 times
Quote:
no, but a " bad back " can and will.

A guy who recently died lived the last 20 years on SSDI after a back injury.

A back so bad he could not work any job yet he had a deep tan in summer from sitting in a boat hours on end fishing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If it's so easy to get and it provides such a wonderful income that you can lay around on a boat all day fishing then why don't you apply for it?
Quote:
some of us have ethics .
...of course you do. But I'm willing to bet that the benefit would be far too low for you and your lifestyle...yet you begrudge it to anyone else!

Old 12-22-2016, 09:34 AM

31,024 posts, read 13,584,112 times
Quote:
some of us have ethics .
And some of us have both ethics and empathy. I would never apply for any benefit that I'm not entitled to and in spite of being retired because of a disability, I never applied for SSDI. But I assume that people who applied for it and received it are legitimately entitled to it, and I'm happy that they don't have to live in abject poverty.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:43 AM

56,037 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
almost impossible to get fraudulently ? guess you don't watch enough judge judy . just about every person on her show on ssdi is on because they are being sued for poor craftsmanship or unfinished work as they renovate houses on the side .
My friend lives on a nice, middle-class cul-de-sac in a suburban town. Nobody on her street seems to actually work except for her and one neighbor. There is a couple across the street who are both on disability. She appears to be drunk most of the time. Once she picks up her kids from school, she hits the bottle and then passes out after dinner, leaving her husband, who is also on disability, to take care of the kids. I am not sure what the husband's disability is, either, but he works on their house all the time, built the kids this high-tech tree house in the backyard, and then after the kids are in bed, he sits in his garage where he has a number of computers, getting stoned. He says he is studying how hackers operate so that he can start an IT security company.

Officials from another state came by one day and picked him up and took him for a vacation for about six months for something from a few years back when he lived there and had a different name, but he came back.

I am still very unclear as to what this couple's disabilities are, exactly.

Across the street from them is another couple on disability. Other than morbid obesity, I don't know what their disabilities are, either. They don't do work on their house, though. It looks as if they've started about 20 projects and didn't get to finish them and the yard is littered with toys and right now, an abundance of Christmas decorations.

Of course, it's not my business what someone's disability is if the government decided that yes, they are disabled. But as the daughter of someone who had a REAL disability--both legs amputated in WWII--and who got up, strapped on his prosthetics every morning and went to work all his life, it does make me say HMMM.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:48 AM

56,037 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Good heavens, the person found something to do that fit with his disability and within his income to wile away the hours in the day. I guess doing anything other than just wasting away in pasty silence is not permitted in your opinion.
Fixed your typo, but I have to say, that was a great phrase.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:51 AM

31,024 posts, read 13,584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My friend lives on a nice, middle-class cul-de-sac in a suburban town. Nobody on her street seems to actually work except for her and one neighbor. There is a couple across the street who are both on disability...

I am still very unclear as to what this couple's disabilities are, exactly.

Across the street from them is another couple on disability. Other than morbid obesity, I don't know what their disabilities are, either. They don't do work on their house, though. It looks as if they've started about 20 projects and didn't get to finish them and the yard is littered with toys and right now, an abundance of Christmas decorations.
If your "friend" has never talked to these people about what their disability is, then how did she determine that they receive SSI or SSDI? Last time I checked they didn't put a sign outside your house announcing it.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:59 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,520,569 times
When there is a huge layoff due to a large factory shutting down, read the newspapers' account of the workers.

Many times it states.........."younger workers will have to find other employment , but it will be hard for workers over 60 if re-location is required. Most will apply for unemployment or SSDI benefits to carry them over until retirement age.

?????????????

Since when is SSDI an option to consider when one loses their full time job ?
Also, is it so common place that the media assume it is an option similar to filing for unemployment benefits ?

Old 12-22-2016, 10:15 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,535,449 times
Quote:
If you are well enough to drive your new pickup and fishing boat to the boat landing, back the boat trailer up and unload the boat, spend hours sitting in a boat,then repeat process to go home..........you should be able to hold down some type of a job.

Surprised anyone with a bad back can sit for hours in a boat with no discomfort.
Let me que you into something, you've got NO idea if or how much pain that person is in or exactly what his disability is. Nor do you know what meds it may take him to get out of bed or to just continue living day to day.
You ARE basing your conclusions on what you see for a short period of time and I'd guess with a heavy dollop of jealousy and resentment added in, that he/she can do what you wish you could do.

I know from many observations and personal experience that most of those you attempt to denigrate/demonize would trade their "life of Riley" for being healthy and working ANY DAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or