U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2016, 06:25 AM
 
210 posts, read 150,801 times
Reputation: 628

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
A mail carrier drives around in a vehicle and places mail in people's mailboxes, all day long. A burger flipper makes hamburgers, and other food, checks supplies, keeps the line moving, cooks french fries, and all sorts of other things. I think a mail carrier job would be so much easier. Strange that one job pays great, with a wonderful pension and benefits, and the other job is classified as a job for losers. I don't get it.

Are you suggesting that the burger flipper should get a mail carrier's salary and benefits (or more) or that a mail carrier should get a burger flipper's salary and benefits (or less).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2016, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,579 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Reputation: 27650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Yes, it was a bad choice of words. I was referring mostly to one poster on here who has every excuse in the book and has never provided anyone with a valid reason why he can't improve his life.

But I am sensitive to many people who, through no fault of their own, are unable to be fortunate enough to acquire more wealth, find a better job, etc. I apologize for the word I used and didn't mean it to be a generalization, which, in looking at my post, it was.
The "professional bias" again slips through here.

I'm not saying it's intentional or that the poster in question has done enough to improve his life, but most of the people are fairly well to do. The reality of a lot of folks, especially in my area, is that they are dirt poor, and many can't afford the retirement trappings that are supposedly essential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 08:44 AM
eok
 
6,684 posts, read 3,169,567 times
Reputation: 8464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
A mail carrier drives around in a vehicle and places mail in people's mailboxes, all day long. A burger flipper makes hamburgers, and other food, checks supplies, keeps the line moving, cooks french fries, and all sorts of other things. I think a mail carrier job would be so much easier. Strange that one job pays great, with a wonderful pension and benefits, and the other job is classified as a job for losers. I don't get it.
Burger flippers don't have to worry about dog bites. Mail carriers who can do the whole job from in their vehicles have it easier than those who have to walk through a pack of dogs. The walkers should get paid more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas (Winchester)
412 posts, read 307,310 times
Reputation: 417
Postal workers are unionized. APWU | American Postal Workers Union, AFL-CIO

A friend of mine works for AA as a res agent. They recently formed a union after the merger. Prior to that, AA somehow managed to convince his co-workers that unions would not represent their best interests. Surprise, surprise... after unionizing, he got a 20% raise. He now has a shot at saving enough to supplement his SS to create a retirement income between 40 - 45K in ten years at age 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Paranoid State
13,047 posts, read 10,434,659 times
Reputation: 15678
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not enough for a burger flipper to live on?
It's a real issue for professional burger flippers -- you know, someone who went to, say, McDonald's University, graduated with a degree in burger flipping, and flipped burgers for 47 years, retiring with Social Security benefits.

By the way, where is the link to your GoFundMe page where we can contribute $$$ to fund your moving to a better place? I've got $$$ allocated to contribute. Please post the link.


Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
At 62, a burger flipper is extremely unlikely to have surviving parents.
Let's say the burger flipper's parents got pregnant at age 15 and gave birth at age 16. That makes the parents 78 years old -- and there are lots of 78 year olds who are still thriving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Housing vouchers go to welfare mothers, the elderly, and some of the disabled. Hard for an able-bodied, working-age burger flipper to get one.
But we are talking about retired burger flippers, not working-age flippers. Oh wait -- did you just change the subject??

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 12-27-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 11:54 AM
 
3,102 posts, read 1,719,273 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
People are overcomplicating the plight of burger flippers. They aren't losers nor financial failures. A loser is someone who loses a game or loses a court case, not someone who flips burgers. A financial failure is bankrupt. Lots of burger flippers have stable finances and are happy with their lives. Lots of people like flipping burgers. If you call them a loser, they will flip you off. If they have no debt, and have roommates they like, they can live fine on a burger flipper's wages, and be happy. That's far better than what happens to some millionaires. And they're getting all that experience at frugal living, which will help when they have to live on SS. Some people, even if they never seem to have much luck, are born happy and die happy. No reasonable person can construe them to be losers or failures. "Turn the meat as fast as you can."
Love this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 12:15 PM
 
Location: equator
3,432 posts, read 1,529,612 times
Reputation: 8514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
A mail carrier drives around in a vehicle and places mail in people's mailboxes, all day long. A burger flipper makes hamburgers, and other food, checks supplies, keeps the line moving, cooks french fries, and all sorts of other things. I think a mail carrier job would be so much easier. Strange that one job pays great, with a wonderful pension and benefits, and the other job is classified as a job for losers. I don't get it.

It is a government job. All those guys get full benefits that we the tax-payer are funding, even though we don't get those benefits ourselves. THAT's the part I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 12:46 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,883 posts, read 42,105,179 times
Reputation: 43291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It is a government job. All those guys get full benefits that we the tax-payer are funding, even though we don't get those benefits ourselves. THAT's the part I don't understand.
No. You're only funding it if you buy stamps. As has been mentioned the Post Office has been off the books since Reagan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 12:57 PM
 
510 posts, read 304,241 times
Reputation: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
People are overcomplicating the plight of burger flippers. They aren't losers nor financial failures. A loser is someone who loses a game or loses a court case, not someone who flips burgers. A financial failure is bankrupt. Lots of burger flippers have stable finances and are happy with their lives. Lots of people like flipping burgers. If you call them a loser, they will flip you off. If they have no debt, and have roommates they like, they can live fine on a burger flipper's wages, and be happy. That's far better than what happens to some millionaires. And they're getting all that experience at frugal living, which will help when they have to live on SS. Some people, even if they never seem to have much luck, are born happy and die happy. No reasonable person can construe them to be losers or failures. "Turn the meat as fast as you can."
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Love this post.
I almost hate to admit it, but so do I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 02:11 PM
 
2,499 posts, read 1,426,684 times
Reputation: 5232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
A 60 something person who has never been able to get a job other than burger flipping is a loser.
I think judging people by their jobs is a pathetic way to make yourself feel better about your own short comings. Maybe people that do that are just jerks, either way, pretty pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top