Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 02:24 AM

14 posts, read 19,330 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna retire in 5 to 10 years and I need some info on the coast of Virginia. I would like to reside on or near the water and prefer the bay to the beach. I wanna find something away from the tourist spots in a safe community. I'm okay with a smaller home where the neighbors are not crowding me. I look forward to your valuable input and want to thank you ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 08:46 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawltynote View Post
I'm gonna retire in 5 to 10 years and I need some info on the coast of Virginia. I would like to reside on or near the water and prefer the bay to the beach. I wanna find something away from the tourist spots in a safe community. I'm okay with a smaller home where the neighbors are not crowding me. I look forward to your valuable input and want to thank you ahead of time.
Be sure what you consider to be appropriate shopping is within driving time you consider to be reasonable

Old 12-27-2016, 08:56 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Be sure what you consider to be appropriate shopping is within driving time you consider to be reasonable
TuborgP makes a very valid point. The Virginia coast - I am including the land along the ocean on the Eastern Shore, the land along the Chesapeake and the places with river access to the Rappahanock and James Rivers are either city (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News and Hampton) OR they are very rural.

I would VERY STRONGLY recommend that before buying a place in a rural area that you rent there for a while. Some of the smaller towns in rural coastal Virginia are EXTREMELY insular and you will be an outsider even if you have lived in the area 30+ years.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:37 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
TuborgP makes a very valid point. The Virginia coast - I am including the land along the ocean on the Eastern Shore, the land along the Chesapeake and the places with river access to the Rappahanock and James Rivers are either city (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News and Hampton) OR they are very rural.

I would VERY STRONGLY recommend that before buying a place in a rural area that you rent there for a while. Some of the smaller towns in rural coastal Virginia are EXTREMELY insular and you will be an outsider even if you have lived in the area 30+ years.
Those cities (above) have some really dangerous areas. Virginia Beach is probably the exception but the beach isn't that accessible to locals. The city of Virginia Beach is very built up and the entire area is military oriented (Naval Base.) Lots of traffic in the area and it's hard to get anywhere. You might ask more about that on the Hampton Rds forum as there may be beach areas that are livable.

If you live in any of the towns on the Eastern Shore, you have to cross that bay bridge every time you need anything. Sometimes the bridge is closed if the winds are high and it's a long bridge, making it inconvenient to get off the eastern shore.

You might be better off looking on the coast of North Carolina.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:45 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
Know folks who sorta retired there. She complained the nearest Walmart was 45 minutes away. Where we are now is really starting to take off again and the shopping which had been good is becoming sorta Mega and within 30 minutes is the world. Really does make a difference.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:52 PM

This is the kind of knowledge that I'm counting on so thanks for sharing this with me.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:01 PM

I'm not sure where you live but I appreciate your comments because something like that can make a big difference.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 PM

Many things to consider so every tip you can offer is valuable to me.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:14 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
My sister has lived in Virginia Beach for years. She loves the eastern shore and I do too. Even in their nearly unbearable hot humid summers, the eastern shore is pretty nice.

I considered retiring to the eastern shore but it's the inconvenience factor that stopped me. That BRIDGE/TUNNEL thing! I had wanted to live near my sister but neither of us would have wanted to cross that awful thing very often. This is a major, huge, long, monstrosity that crosses the Chesapeake Bay and you stop and pay a toll.

When we were driving north on the eastern shore, it became Maryland. It was nice there too and I think there were condos. I think I saw signs that advertised how good it was--that it was only X miles to a hospital, only X miles to something else--it sounded good for retirees. But that was Maryland and too far from my sister.

Nice places near Virginia Beach are Williamsburg and Yorktown. They're not on the water though. There's a place called Gloucester--somewhere nearby and just to the east of W'bug and Yorktown. I think it's closer to water and I do remember someone on here doing a retirement investigation one time. They chose to not move there. Probably because there wasn't very much there!

If you didn't need water, I'd recommend Williamsburg or Yorktown. They're hot retirement places these days and are very nice. Better quality of life than you'd get in a place like Virginia Beach, Hampton, Norfolk. The extent of my knowledge of Virginia is now exhausted.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:31 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Nice places near Virginia Beach are Williamsburg and Yorktown. They're not on the water though...If you didn't need water, I'd recommend Williamsburg or Yorktown.
Your knowledge of Virginia geography is a bit challenged. Yorktown is right on the York River which feeds into the Chesapeake Bay. Williamsburg proper is not on the water but it sits in between the York and James Rivers. An thee are Williamsburg communities like Kingsmill that are on the water. there are also some nice Jamestown communities that are on or near the water. Gloucester is on the opposite side of the York River from Yorktown. By the way, Yorktown has a very nice protected public beach if you want to avoid the Virginia Beach Crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement