U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 09:32 PM

6,316 posts, read 3,579,899 times

Advertisements

When you're out and about do you keep your eyes and ears open for all the little "gifts" that get sent our way every day? I'm in mind of a friend who told me she had left the house earlier this fall angry at her DH and was mulling it through her head when she stopped for a stop sign and a beautiful red-gold maple leaf sifted down onto the hood of her car and drew her attention away from her moody thoughts.

She said it was almost as if the leaf had whispered to her, "Oh, away with all that and look at how beautiful I am - right in front of your nose! The seasons change. Take note."

I'm endlessly curious about what people are thinking and a notorious eavesdropper. All around me I hear snippets of peoples' lives. And from my fellow human beings I learn.

Some are unhappy and complaining. They give me a pinch in the arm and a stern shaking-of-the-finger reminder to check my own attitude in public.

Other's utterances let their speaker's spirit shine right through as though to say, "Have courage. Look to me and join me in my positive outlook." And others yet, muttered in exasperation or confusion, are just plain silly and afford me a chuckle at life's absurd circumstances.

How often does a person even know he is influencing another passerby?

A couple of days ago I was at the eye doctor's office waiting in a backed-up crowd for my turn and got one of those little chuckle gifts from the Universe through the mouth of an ancient, wheelchair-bound School Sister of Notre Dame.

Sister was obviously confused and asking for her helper. The nurse went off to find her.

When the driver poked her head around the corner she said, "I didn't expect you to be done yet" to which Sister cheerfully replied, "Oh, no one will know that until I'm dead."

Just typing it again makes me grin. I don't think that old prayer warrior was talking about her eyes at all. Talk about a sense of self-worth in old age!

I smiled all the way home.

Have you had any messages from the Universe lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 10:00 PM

25,829 posts, read 13,426,503 times
Nice post.

As one of my gurus was wont to say: "You can observe a lot just by watching."

I try always to be observant. On my best days, I feel plugged into the Universe. On my worst, I still try to stay in (sometimes fleeting) touch. Some days/weeks/aeons are tougher/easier than others. As another of my gurus was wont to say, "And so it goes."

Life is littered with little gifts if we learn to look for them. They hide in plain sight.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:21 PM

18,110 posts, read 22,978,628 times
It's true, if you take a deep breath and look around, there are simple wonders out there that can take you away.

For me, the last couple of days have been trying. One of the things that helps get me out of my own head, is that I need to take my dog out several times a day. I take her for 15 minutes walk at least twice a day, normally at the beachfront park here where I live. This park has a huge grassy expanse before you get to the ocean.

The last few days, I have seen a pair of birds that I am not sure of what type of bird they are. They are obviously a male-female pair, and look mostly like domestic geese, but not quite. They have taken to a particular area of the beachfront park.

So, while I was walking the last couple of days, feeling sorry for myself because of my bad relationship with my daughter, I've been distracted by this interesting pair of birds. My dog will run at them and they will fly a few feet away, but aren't terrified of my dog in the least.

I guess my point is that the universe will provide a lovely distraction when you most need it sometimes. Simple and beautiful.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:31 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,671,079 times
I was shopping last week, looking for a pretty outfit to send to my Mom, as new clothes make her happy. Shopping isn't one of my pleasures at any time and even less with the crowds before Christmas, but it was for Mom, so I was dealing with it.

As I was browsing through a rack near the fitting rooms I heard a laugh. I looked up and a woman my age was laughing and shaking her head. She caught my look and explained "My mother is trying on things and just handed these back to me (blouse and slacks), telling me they looked too old for her. My mother is 88 years old." We both smiled then and chatted a minute about mothers.

I added looking too old to my criteria of color, style and care instructions as I continued shopping for my 90-year-old Mom. I looked at the clothing with a new eye, wondering exactly what would be considered too old by octogenians and nonagenarians. A random encounter with a stranger changed my attitude and outlook for the better that day. I didn't think of it as a gift at the time, but that is exactly what it was. Thank you Lodestar for allowing me to realize that and giving me another gift.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-26-2016 at 04:19 AM..

Old 12-26-2016, 04:36 AM

478 posts, read 300,862 times
I like this thread. I have been experiencing the Christmas blues myself. My kids living out of state, a brother who doesn't talk to me, yadda yadda...Yesterday on Christmas morning as my husband went outside to get the paper, a bird flew into the house and promptly perched itself right on top of the Christmas tree. Watching my husband running threw the house finding his "bird removal" tools (blanket and broom) cracked me up. He was freaking out over this tiny sparrow and it just made me laugh harder. It was like a sign from God that life was indeed good and to stop my bellyaching. I was even able to take a picture of it. That little bird really made my Christmas!

Old 12-26-2016, 07:27 AM

491 posts, read 598,360 times
This is a great thread, thanks!

Old 12-26-2016, 08:49 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,841,461 times
I find the best cure for being down is a walk in the outdoors, the woods, the beach, the park, it just gives you a fresh, clean perspective and takes you outside of yourself and your thoughts for a few minutes. Even if it is just to sit on a bench and watch the birds, or the kids on a playground, the little things you pick up on are truly gifts to the soul.

I like to hike, but have often wondered why I don't like to hike with a group. I've realized that having others with me chattering or striding quickly ahead distracts me from what I REALLY like about hiking...the enjoyment of nature's small miracles. A fern covered slope, an unusual mushroom, an eddy in a stream with a floating leaf that goes around and around, the tiny, intricate design of a wildflower, or the song of a bird, all bring me out of my cluttered thoughts and allow me to bask in the moment, and be truly present.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:14 PM

37,134 posts, read 45,653,323 times
It's not so much that I eavesdrop, but I do sometimes. What I think is precious are chance encounters and unexpected conversations. A lady asks me to reach for something up high in the grocery store, or someone gives me an extra coupon, a chat with the person next to me in a waiting room, or whatever sparks a brief conversation with a stranger. It makes me feel connected.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:28 PM

4,976 posts, read 3,462,838 times
Mine happened late last fall. A Caterpillar was crossing the sidewalk & my first thought was" It is way too late in the year for caterpillars", but I stood there & made sure no one stepped on it. Once it passed, I continued walking home.

Before I got there a Monarch butterfly hovered around me. What a beautiful experience! We so seldom see Monarchs here, I felt like I'd experienced a miracle & a personal thank you from God.

Even just writing it down brings back the whole experience.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:39 PM

210 posts, read 151,031 times
This morning I looked through the kitchen window and there was a black squirrel on the fence. He disappeared over the fence into the melting snow for a short time and reemerged on my carport. As he climbed the fence to leave my yard I noticed a treat in his mouth. I couldn't help thinking that some days I am glad I am alive to see these little things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement