U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 07:21 PM

642 posts, read 531,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawltynote View Post
I'm gonna retire in 5 to 10 years and I need some info on the coast of Virginia. I would like to reside on or near the water and prefer the bay to the beach. I wanna find something away from the tourist spots in a safe community. I'm okay with a smaller home where the neighbors are not crowding me. I look forward to your valuable input and want to thank you ahead of time.
What is your budget? Plenty of nice places to retire on the ocean and bay's in Virginia Beach. But on or close to water is pricey. I retired on the coast in far SE VAB, south of the resort area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 07:24 PM

19,857 posts, read 18,874,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
What is your budget? Plenty of nice places to retire on the ocean and bay's in Virginia Beach. But on or close to water is pricey. I retired on the coast in far SE VAB, south of the resort area.
It's not Sandbridge, is it? In some areas of the coastline you have to be really careful of flooding. That place gets nearly destroyed every so often.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Those cities (above) have some really dangerous areas. Virginia Beach is probably the exception but the beach isn't that accessible to locals. The city of Virginia Beach is very built up and the entire area is military oriented (Naval Base.) Lots of traffic in the area and it's hard to get anywhere. You might ask more about that on the Hampton Rds forum as there may be beach areas that are livable.

If you live in any of the towns on the Eastern Shore, you have to cross that bay bridge every time you need anything. Sometimes the bridge is closed if the winds are high and it's a long bridge, making it inconvenient to get off the eastern shore.

You might be better off looking on the coast of North Carolina.
Have to disagree with you a few things. (I live in VAB.)

Curious what do you mean by the "the beach isn't that accessible to locals"?

I came from the Washington, DC area and that place is built up. To me VAB is in no way built up.

Military is a big part of HR but honestly I hardly ever see any military people out and about. I don't see this area as military oriented at all.

Again I came from the Washington DC area, now that's some traffic. HR is nothing compared.

Just my 2cworth

Old 01-03-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's not Sandbridge, is it? In some areas of the coastline you have to be really careful of flooding. That place gets nearly destroyed every so often.
All due respect, you are posting about something better answered by local experts.

Last edited by lovnova; 01-03-2017 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or