U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 PM

948 posts, read 440,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think you should tend to your own life and retirement and not worry with others life and retirement.
But I'm not the one complaining I'm bored with life, they are. I'm not worried at all, just trying to understand why they are like that and maybe help them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 06:39 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,231,462 times
I, for one, would be bored senseless if I didn't have my business to run. I work for myself, so maybe that helps. I choose when & where I want to work, choose my own days/weeks off, schedule my own appointments, etc. Over 25 years, I have integrated work into my life so seamlessly that it doesn't feel like work at all. I still have plenty of time to sail my boat, go shooting, ride my motorcycle, play music and I take relatively frequent vacations. Tomorrow is a typical day. My first appointment is at Noon near where I live. Then I pop down to my boat for lunch and stop in Santa Monica to take some quick photos of a house, then drive along the ocean on the way home and stop to do a house in Malibu. A quick drive through the canyon and I'll be home by 5:00 with $ 1,350 in my pocket. How could I ever walk away from such an easy job ?

Old 12-28-2016, 09:15 PM

3,341 posts, read 3,045,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
This blows my mind. I have a brother-in-law, age 70, very financially well off who went to work at his brother's saw mill after retirement because he was going "stir crazy". I work for a large organization where people regularly retire after 30 or 40 years and return 6 months after retiring as an annuitant, working while getting their pension! How is it possible people have no other interests in their lives other than their work? I mean, I get that some folks love their jobs (well, I don't really get it but, believe it to be true) but still, you have zero other interests you want to cultivate in your "golden" years? There are so many new experiences to consider. Its very sad to me that some folks find that only their work gives them any sense of satisfaction.
What is/was your job? That may explain things.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:21 PM

13,206 posts, read 6,313,926 times
For some people, I don't think they should retire.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:31 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,445,259 times
I read a study which found that one of the things many people dislike the most is being alone with their own thoughts.

This could be part of the explanation for nurider2002's 70 year old brother in law who could not stop working in post #6. And might also be partial explanation for people who cannot be alone or who prefer to rarely be alone.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-28-2016 at 09:42 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 01:43 AM

6,757 posts, read 3,857,072 times
Sometimes I wonder if some retirees are lonely and the lack of association leads to boredom. This may be why retirement communities are so popular now as well as why some return to part time work.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:25 AM

16,018 posts, read 19,670,751 times
I feel it is because people's self-esteem is tied up with what they do for a job. Some people love their jobs/professions and grieve when they no longer have that in their life.

Personally, I am planning on volunteering if I get bored. But, I will always miss the affirmations that I've personally felt when doing a good job and helping folks help themselves better their own lives.

And, while this thread is specific to retirement boredom.....their are plenty of working people who are bored with their lives. So I think having lots of free time may simply bring out the worst in someone who is already a negative person.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:27 AM

3,819 posts, read 1,973,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I personally think that if you worked your whole life away and never had any hobbies or interests outside of working then that's your own fault. Everyone suffers from boredom sometimes, but if you find yourself totally lost and don't know what to do when you don't have to work, you focused on work too much in your life. What do you guys think?
If you are as content in your retirement as you claim to be, you wouldn't be focused on other people's retirement. That's what I think.

If people want to feel productive by continuing to work, that's their business not mine...or yours. Working is a social thing for many people. It's also a routine that they enjoy. They should give that up just to keep people like you from judging them so harshly? MYOB.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:08 AM

6,236 posts, read 4,721,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If people want to feel productive by continuing to work, that's their business not mine...or yours. Working is a social thing for many people. It's also a routine that they enjoy. They should give that up just to keep people like you from judging them so harshly? MYOB.

Sure, thankfully people are free to do what they want. But it is sad. A high percentage of the population, are born, reproduce, and die and they accomplish little else. For many, work is an endless grind that puts food on the table and accomplishes little else.

Retirement is a time to change one's life and to re-examine what can be done with the remaining time. For many, retirement is empty with lots of taking life easy and just getting closer to death. There is another thread asking what we can learn from the elders in our society. Again, sadly, the answer is many have little to teach except how to spend a lifetime with little in the way of accomplishment.

Some people are totally different. Some were more active their whole lives. Some come alive at retirement. They learn, they teach, they grow, they set goals and accomplish their goals. They try to leave the world a better place. Sometimes it can be difficult to MYOB. Sometimes it seems necessary to spread the word that life can be much more rewarding than just getting by and being stuck in a routine.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:53 AM

3,819 posts, read 1,973,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sure, thankfully people are free to do what they want. But it is sad. A high percentage of the population, are born, reproduce, and die and they accomplish little else. For many, work is an endless grind that puts food on the table and accomplishes little else.

Retirement is a time to change one's life and to re-examine what can be done with the remaining time. For many, retirement is empty with lots of taking life easy and just getting closer to death. There is another thread asking what we can learn from the elders in our society. Again, sadly, the answer is many have little to teach except how to spend a lifetime with little in the way of accomplishment.

Some people are totally different. Some were more active their whole lives. Some come alive at retirement. They learn, they teach, they grow, they set goals and accomplish their goals. They try to leave the world a better place. Sometimes it can be difficult to MYOB. Sometimes it seems necessary to spread the word that life can be much more rewarding than just getting by and being stuck in a routine.

I agree... but ONLY if my opinion and advice are sought, and only if I believe my breath won't be wasted. I've found that many people are comfortable in their own "whine" regardless of age. It pleases them to do little more than feel sorry for themselves and constantly glean sympathy from others. I have a family member who has sat on her pity-pot all her life. Nothing pleases her, and honestly she drains my strength. If someone is bored, it's up to them to improve their life. I'm happy to help, but I won't carry their load.

But I guess this deviates a bit from the original post. Amazing how that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or