U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 02:17 PM

34,712 posts, read 33,745,076 times

Advertisements

I have to say that I was busy before I retired and never bored but I didn't pick up the hobby I spend the most time on now until after I retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 02:46 PM

6,323 posts, read 4,768,647 times
LauraC, if I remember correctly from your previous posts, your retirement hobby is photography.

This is something I recommend other retirees should consider. It is relatively low cost, or at least it can be. You can invest any amount of time and energy from just a few simple snapshots to remember your adventures or you can invest a lot of time and energy in truly learning to express yourself and communicate artistically. I spend a lot of time traveling and taking landscapes, but most of my artistic images are from nearby gardens and greenhouses and even from the backyard.

Although it is primarily a solo activity, there are plenty of camera clubs and other groups of interested photographers, amateur and professional.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:30 PM

5,284 posts, read 3,039,847 times
My dilemma is choosing between what needs doing around the house and what I want to do.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:41 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,517,388 times
''MYOB''? It's a discussion board, for cryin' out loud!
We are simply ''discussing'', so why the sour grapes?
Great topic, OP!

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 12-31-2016 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 11:10 AM

34,712 posts, read 33,745,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
LauraC, if I remember correctly from your previous posts, your retirement hobby is photography.

This is something I recommend other retirees should consider. It is relatively low cost, or at least it can be. You can invest any amount of time and energy from just a few simple snapshots to remember your adventures or you can invest a lot of time and energy in truly learning to express yourself and communicate artistically. I spend a lot of time traveling and taking landscapes, but most of my artistic images are from nearby gardens and greenhouses and even from the backyard.

Although it is primarily a solo activity, there are plenty of camera clubs and other groups of interested photographers, amateur and professional.
That's it. I retired March 31, 2007 and in the Fall of that year I took a Basic Photography class with other retirees. When it was over in December, I joined a local photography club. From 2007 until the Spring of 2011, I used relatively cheap ultrazoom cameras, now called bridge cameras, with rechargeable batteries. It didn't cost me a cent (except maybe for gasoline for the car) back then to actually do the hobby. My club dues are $20 once a year. There is an annual salon that costs $15 to enter. Once a month we either have a club competition or a guest speaker that gives a presentation at our meeting. Two years ago, I also purchased a printer that can print large photos.

Our photos are displayed in the lobby of a public building during the salon period and the science museum also selects a few to display rotationally, year 'round. Currently, they have 3 of mine.

I finally bought a DSLR camera (removable lenses) in 2011 when I saw the hobby was sticking. I mostly like to photograph birds (I started with chickens ) but I live in an apartment complex so I have to go to where the birds are but I was thinking the other day that anyone with a house could put in a few bird houses, a feeder or two, baths, have a small butterfly garden and a regular garden (bugs and flowers) in their back yard and never leave home to take competition worthy photos (birds, bugs/butterflies, flowers, critters). In other words, it's a hobby you could do well into old age if you can see. Also, many photo competitions are now looking for digital entries not prints so you don't have to buy a printer or take your photos somewhere and pay to have them printed. All you have to do is e-mail them. And if you travel, even better for the hobby.

Personally, I like working on mine on the computer to achieve different looks. Also, I would say more than half of my one club (I belong to 2) is retired.

But, like any hobby, you have to like it.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:56 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,517,388 times
Photography is one of my hobbies and an area where I plan to expose my knowledge too. Years ago...40ish...I did the SLR manual camera with all the lenses and did some dark room stuff. Loved it then but digital is so much more fun.
I want to get a better digital camera and lenses and take some classes too. I am not familiar at all with any photoshop software and would like to learn about that. Your ideas inspire me toward seeking out a local club too.
Right now I post photos on my blog and ride out on my bike, motorcycle, or car and just do photos. I can spend a few hours or a day doing this, but want to do more with it and learn more.
Thank you guys for posting on this! LauraC, what is a ''salon''?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or