U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 06:46 PM

6,215 posts, read 2,877,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
This is insane! Have you hired an estate lawyer? They make everything so much easier if you hire a good one and have that one contact to explain and file items for you. We found the fee well worth it plus we wanted to be sure we were not making irreversible mistakes, even though we had done extensive research ourselves.
Thank you for the advisal. Yes an estate lawyer was involved early on. The challenge was; The "terms" had changed whilst we were in the mist of estate settlement. Fidelity was determined to play "read the fine print of the new terms" which basically set us down a rabbit hole. Yes its insane to even try to work with them.
Titling it to Inherited IRA is the correct avenue. But when the roadblocks are set up, its hard to fight them. Cost more to fight them then the value of the account....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 07:25 PM

235 posts, read 257,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Thank you very much for that explanation. So it is not a good idea to name my daughter as a beneficiary on my IRA, correct ?? I currently have DW as 100% Beneficiary on both my T-IRA and Rollover IRA. I'll leave that as is.

In the event of my demise, can DW just roll it into her IRA without any Tax consequences until her RMD's start ??

How would the Tax Man treat an Inherited Roth account ??
The Original Owner (me) can be withdrawn Tax-Free. If it's inherited.......is it taxed as Ordinary Income ??

Thanks again for your help with this. One of my Year-End goals is to check all the Beneficiaries.
Maybe do a 50/50 but IMO you should not cut your daughter out. What if your wife remarries and then dies? The new husband inherits your IRAs. Take care of your daughter now if that's your intention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or