U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 11:28 PM

7,421 posts, read 4,287,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If I were to do a poll of this question I would not ask anyone under the age of 75. Who wouldn't be happy to retire at 62 and be flush with cash in those early years? My question is how many people are STILL happy at the age of 75 and later after some time has passed for health and other financial issues to possibly arise.
I retired the month I turned 60 and I still don't regret it five years later. 10 years from now I still won't regret having retired at 60, assuming I'm still around. Which is the plan right now. If I have any regrets at 75, retiring at 60 won't be one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 06:18 AM

2,859 posts, read 4,393,134 times
Nope

Retired at 63 and I'm 3 years in. My observation about those around my age who did not retire is two fold...
1) not enough funds
2) work (their job) was all they had to do

I'm getting really good at this retirement thing.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,854 posts, read 40,335,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I retired the month I turned 60 and I still don't regret it five years later. ...If I have any regrets at 75, retiring at 60 won't be one of them.
You can go back to work if you regret retirement...

Met several doing just that this week. (all by FREE choice)

Many 'retirees' buy franchises (+/-). (That is WORK!, but can be very good and profitable work.)

Ideally... I would have 'retired' the day the first kid arrived... then returned to employment the day they left home. (If I must...). Many 'families' have started businesses (and a few have started blogs) and FORGOT about the Work thing! (as in AWAY from home)

Sure, you may NOT be able to work later... so have a plan B. (a paid off cabin by the stream ~ $30k - $50k).

Or a bunkhouse on a paid off ranch (rent out the main home),
or an RV pad at family or friends....
or Overseas (in case you might ever need medical care).

Dual citizenship (60 yrs ago) would have been very smart for this USA citizen.

DARN! poor 'retirement' planning on my part.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:18 AM

13,840 posts, read 6,596,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I retired the month I turned 60 and I still don't regret it five years later. 10 years from now I still won't regret having retired at 60, assuming I'm still around. Which is the plan right now. If I have any regrets at 75, retiring at 60 won't be one of them.
I agree with you. Very few people at 75 would regret anything, unless they are close to destitute when it comes to money.
In fact, my husband and I will be happy if we get 5 good retirement years. I was looking at our travelling pictures last night, I’m glad we did have some travelling time together.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:25 PM

3,088 posts, read 1,082,542 times
I’m retiring next year at 62. Want to be able to enjoy years of traveling and being active. Who knows how long we have or how long we will be able to do things we want to do.

If I ge5 to 75+ and have to stay home that would be fine because I would have enjoyed 13years of active, fun retirement

Old 05-23-2019, 09:07 PM

2,259 posts, read 963,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
I am leaning towards retirement at 62 or 63 (am 61 now) and I am amazed at how many people have told me that if they could do it over again, they would have worked a little longer. Frankly, I am surprised. Does anyone who retired at that age have any comments, advice, regrets, etc. Would love to hear. Thanks for reading and for your time.
Though it was the best thing for my health when I retired at 62, I would have liked to work longer. My primary reason is because I miss the challenges, I miss the gratification of getting a project done on time, and I miss the satisfaction I derived from helping other people accomplish their personal goals. Going 100 mph for so many years only to abruptly stop has been very difficult. I will say that I frequently contemplate taking on some kind of work, but then I realize I have no desire to be forced to follow someone else’s schedule and I talk myself out of it.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:14 AM

5,737 posts, read 4,937,728 times
Un like others I would not go back to work though I loved my job, my body was done , I am very glad to have my own schedule and almost do as I please .
I am my friends primary care giver , so there is no one to help me if I get sick or injured ,so I have to play it a bit safer than I did while working.
I have really never cared to travel and I hate moving ,though I've done my share of it through the years . I did my wander lust as a kid over most of the whole continent .
Don't get me wrong I would if I had to but I don't see the need. With google earth I can see more of the world than I ever could afford and the people I meet here is sufficient interaction with people. probably better.
For me retirement could not have come at a better time @62.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:59 AM

2,021 posts, read 5,024,935 times
I retired at 57 and thought I would have liked to have gone 1 or 2 years longer. Now (at 65) I don't miss or regret the grind at all, and would/could never have made it to 65 at the rate/pace I did for the 33 career years (of the 40 years I did work).

I did end up finding part time work, just for the fun of it~a job that motivates me to get dressed and engage with people, work on special projects, with a very flexible schedule.

I think the biggest issue is can you comfortably afford to retire and enjoy a reasonable lifestyle. Fortunately, I was in a position to answer yes, without hesitation. Paying for health insurance until Medicare eligible was the largest overall expense.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:46 AM

2,979 posts, read 2,071,557 times
Recently retired, age 60, single with no kids. Worked in corporate America for my entire life, 33 years with my last employer and have the company health plan until age 65 when Medicare kicks in. Financially set, will be able to maintain my current lifestyle until age 95 per a few financial analysts.

Would have preferred to work another year, but cannot complain. Open to working again if the right opportunity comes along—but I do not want to have to bust my hump and prove myself as that is not at all necessary. Have applied on LinkedIn for a few jobs and have impeccable credentials but have not, surprisingly, even been invited for an interview (perhaps because of my age ??)

A little bored at the moment but do participate on these types of forums, and others, to try and keep my mind sharp. I used to thrive on fear, challenges, and deadlines to motivate me through my business days but do not have that any longer. Many things, especially the gym, are a routine and habit—doubt I would have the motivation to go minus the need to reduce stress if I were just getting into exercising.

I traveled quite a bit for work and personal pleasure so I might not have the urge to make up for lost time that others might have. There are still places I have not been to that I want to see. I am even giving thought to living abroad for a few months at a time. Fairly fluent in Spanish, less so in Portuguese, but might go to language school (which my last employer will pay for) to improve my communication skills further and to keep my mind sharp.

I imagine I might start a home based internet business that involves working 15-25 hours/week on my schedule at some point down the road. Took awhile to get adjusted to the new schedule free lifestyle, as I have been an overachiever most of my life, though working from a home office my last 15 years made this transition easier.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-02-2019 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-03-2019, 04:14 AM

1 posts, read 251 times
I do not regret retiring at 62 but...turns out my spouse is unable to do all the traveling I planned on. Its been 10 months since I retired and now I really want to go back to full time. I have to payback the SS if I want to "un-retire" and get full benefits at my full retirement age. I will have to borrow the 15K in order to do this. Don't know what to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement