U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

620 posts, read 176,031 times

Advertisements

I semi retired at 58. Now 65 and my part time job is ending in December. I don’t regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

2,179 posts, read 918,308 times
At 62 (wife was 59) we had enough money to retire on, no need or desire to work. Neither of us regrets it. It's been 11 years. No regrets.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

4,126 posts, read 1,066,296 times
Retired at 55 ..........on the books since 16 years of age.
Lived frugally and saved. Everything is paid off.
40 years is enough. Don't owe anybody an explanation.
Best decision I ever made...........

Outside of those that fell on hard times or unfortunate circumstances
I have little sympathy for those who lived life high on the hog and blew their future on wine woman and song.
I am sure they have many more interesting stories to tell than I but they aren't telling them now. They are to
busy working.........nuff said.

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

421 posts, read 169,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Very few people have regrets when they get paid for staying home and doing what they want...
This is my situation. I also get time to spend time with my first grandson, husband, other family members and friends. More time for medical appointments and vacations. More time to exercise, hula, pump and tai chi classes. No wasted time contemplating having to work the next day on a Sunday evening. I get to see friends and family while we all are alive, rather than wait for funerals.

Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

71 posts, read 1,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
I am leaning towards retirement at 62 or 63 (am 61 now) and I am amazed at how many people have told me that if they could do it over again, they would have worked a little longer. Frankly, I am surprised. Does anyone who retired at that age have any comments, advice, regrets, etc. Would love to hear. Thanks for reading and for your time.
I wonder if those who did regret retiring at 62 because of the reduced SS benefits OR because they missed work and found retirement boring. {I "retired" the day I graduated college; The easiest day at college is 69 times harder than the hardest day at work.}

Old Today, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaminade View Post
I wonder if those who did regret retiring at 62 because of the reduced SS benefits OR because they missed work and found retirement boring. {I "retired" the day I graduated college; The easiest day at college is 69 times harder than the hardest day at work.}

Excerpt:
{I "retired" the day I graduated college; The easiest day at college is 69 times harder than the hardest day at work.}

Opinion: Having attended college and matriculated maintaining a 3.8 G.P.A..I am accustomed to the classroom.
Then you never really worked........... Sorry............

Old Today, 08:47 AM

3,025 posts, read 1,636,430 times
I retired 2 weeks before turning 63, 2-3 years earlier than planned because of a company wide package offered to all graybeards in a cost-cutting move. I accepted it at the last minute after doing the math & keeping fingers crossed on markets & health, thankfully both have held up almost 5 years later.

I have never regretted it a bit, although it would be nice to have an additional 2-3 years worth of savings now - I was saving over 25% of my gross the last few years so it would have been a substantial addition but the freedom after working for 50 years (started working during & through all schools from 13yo) was an almost physical exhilaration. I'm still not collecting SS, a bit more than 2 years to go if health holds up. No regrets at all for me, just yesterday discovered another obit of a high school friend from February.

Old Today, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I retired 2 weeks before turning 63, 2-3 years earlier than planned because of a company wide package offered to all graybeards in a cost-cutting move. I accepted it at the last minute after doing the math & keeping fingers crossed on markets & health, thankfully both have held up almost 5 years later.

I have never regretted it a bit, although it would be nice to have an additional 2-3 years worth of savings now - I was saving over 25% of my gross the last few years so it would have been a substantial addition but the freedom after working for 50 years (started working during & through all schools from 13yo) was an almost physical exhilaration. I'm still not collecting SS, a bit more than 2 years to go if health holds up. No regrets at all for me, just yesterday discovered another obit of a high school friend from February.

Opinion:

Obituaries are a constant reminder that we are only here for a very short time.
It is so unfortunate that they are always hidden in the back of the newspapers.

You can run all you want but you never can hide...........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement