U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 05:41 PM

3,122 posts, read 1,266,881 times

Advertisements

I retired at 62 and now wonder why I waited so long. Like everyone, I was concerned that I would have enough income, which turned out to be a needless concern.
Now I say to anyone, as soon as you know you have enough money to retire, do it! Those years after age 62 go past really fast, and all of a sudden you realize time is running out, so don't delay retirement, you can never get those years back...
I'm still in good condition and quite active, but watching those around me I realize that after 62 things can go down hill rapidly.
I can't believe how short a time it took me to get from 62 to 73.....Enjoy it while you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 06:04 PM

480 posts, read 322,831 times
My SO retired at 62 and loves it... Of course, 1) He gets his medical through the VA, so no health insurance issues (yeah, it's the VA, but he has no major health issues - and now he has Medicare anyway) and 2) He sold his house when he moved in with me, and since my house is paid off, he only has to pay half the utilities and groceries, so it's a good deal. He would've struggled otherwise.

Me, I'm hoping for 64 or 64 1/2 (about 2 years from now), depending what happens in the next year or so.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:45 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,334,760 times
I doubt you will have a lot of posters here admitting they made a mistake and retired too early. It would be an admittance they made a mistake and when it comes to threads about regret, most posters don't want to relive their bad experiences, whatever the subject is about.

Again this board is probably misleading because the ones who retired early are those who were financially able to and post here on a regular basis.

I'm all for early retirement if you can afford it and have hobbies to keep you occupied. Totally against it for those who don't have the financial means and live for work. There are those who consider work as their only hobby. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:37 PM

8,947 posts, read 7,721,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
I am leaning towards retirement at 62 or 63 (am 61 now) and I am amazed at how many people have told me that if they could do it over again, they would have worked a little longer. Frankly, I am surprised. Does anyone who retired at that age have any comments, advice, regrets, etc. Would love to hear. Thanks for reading and for your time.
I am 74 and I retired at age 62. Best thing I ever did. Time to take time to smell the roses.

I did take a part time job (16 to 24 hours per week) from age 64 to 68 but it was one of my choosing, it fit my schedule, and it was fun.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:04 PM

890 posts, read 676,459 times
This is a very interesting topic I just stumbled across and I've enjoyed reading the various shares many have posted.

Certainly health insurance is a driving factor for some. Me, I've been self-employed forever and have been personally paying my own health insurance for a long time so I clearly understand the mindset of those who are hanging around a little while longer to keep their coverage. This is not a consideration for me in "staying on the pony" for a little while longer, nor is financial need. I only partially grimaced when paying our new 2017 health insurance premium for January (wife and me) of $1,464 per month. And that's an HSA-qualified high deductible plan. Can't imagine what it'll be when I'm age 65 if, God willing, I make it.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet the answers differ greatly among those who are/were employees and those who are/were self-employed with the latter hanging on much longer than the former. I'm among the latter and its been my observation that my self-employed brothers from different mothers and my self-employed sisters from different misters hang in the "rat race" a heck of a lot longer and not for financial-need reasons. Their businesses are like an economic man cave or "play center" place to play and get paid. I've always called it "cheap adult day care".

Those business people I know who have hung in there well into their 80's and I do know many who have, did so not because of financial need but rather because they feared being labeled as a PIP (previously-important person). And it seems that there is a sub-population of those who jumped off the pony because a spouse or other family member had health issues that required more assistance.

Seems like more people who work in corporate America or big organizations don't enjoy their work for many reasons such as workforce politics and/or corporate/government bureaucracy. I can relate to the latter and that's why I bailed over 30 years ago when it wasn't as bad as it apparently now is.

Thanks to all who shared.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:22 AM

8,179 posts, read 11,900,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I'm all for early retirement if you can afford it and have hobbies to keep you occupied. Totally against it for those who don't have the financial means and live for work. There are those who consider work as their only hobby. And there is nothing wrong with that.
And I'm all for shoveling snow if you're wearing boots, but totally against it if you just have flip-flops on.

The OP is asking if anyone retired early and came to regret it. Your admonition would seem to be pointless because people who live for work or don't have the financial means to retire early aren't the ones who are voluntarily retiring early.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:35 AM

71,460 posts, read 71,629,249 times
retiring early by choice or delaying taking ss while retired are all choices you can only have if you have the financial resources .

Old 01-01-2017, 08:05 AM

678 posts, read 307,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I'm not old enough ought to regret yet. I retired at 55, now I am 57.
I quit at 56 and do not regret it one minute. Maybe I should have went 4 years ago, my cash flow would have increased just as well from 52 as at 56.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:12 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,116,985 times
I retired at 59 and my only regret is I didn't go sooner. But I did not like my job. I am also financially set.

Last edited by organic_donna; 01-01-2017 at 08:25 AM..

Old 01-01-2017, 11:08 AM

4,477 posts, read 4,737,152 times
Threads of this topic always seems to end up with the same tone. Just an observation.

Last edited by brava4; 01-01-2017 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement