Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 11:50 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Threads of this topic always seems to end up with the same tone. Just an observation.
Yeah I noticed that too. And usually the same people post how great they are doing. We know we know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 11:53 AM

888 posts, read 889,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Yeah I noticed that too. And usually the same people post how great they are doing. We know we know!
Ah the nature of human behavior that was probably formed in elementary school during "Show and Tell" time.

Like the gambler who always likes to tell you how much he won winning his latest jackpot but is always mum the rest of the time particularly when he's lost a ton. Excuse the him gender reference and substitute her when appropriate.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:58 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Ah the nature of human behavior that was probably formed in elementary school during "Show and Tell" time.

Like the gambler who always likes to tell you how much he won winning his latest jackpot but is always mum the rest of the time particularly when he's lost a ton. Excuse the him gender reference and substitute her when appropriate.
I have an ex brother in law that is exactly like that.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:16 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I have an ex brother in law that is exactly like that.
It's human nature, same as in complaining. Notice how more people like to complain. No surprise there.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:07 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
I knew there was a reason that I stayed away from this forum for the past three months. Thanks for the reminders. Hopefully, my memory won't fail me so quickly this time.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:08 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
My brother got laid off from his job at 62 and could not find another job so took social security and retired. While he hated his new management and is relieved to not be working there, he is now 64 and struggling financially. If not for the kindness of family members, he would be regretting retirement.

I like hearing that people are doing great but it is important to get both sides.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:51 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
My brother got laid off from his job at 62 and could not find another job so took social security and retired.
he is now 64 and struggling financially. If not for the kindness of family members, he would be regretting retirement.

I like hearing that people are doing great but it is important to get both sides.
ABQ2015,

The way I see is that retirement regret does not apply if a person is forced into early retirement (layoffs, ill health, unbearable work environment etc.).

My interpretation of regret is being sorry for a decision which you made or an action which you willingly took.

Unless a person retires early say in their 40s, it's usually very difficult to get back to the workforce especially in finding a job with similar benefits to previous job. From what I have seen, it's rare that a person decide to retire on a whim. At the minimum, many if not all have to think of the financial aspects (savings, income, expenses, health care cost). Many people also have a pretty good idea or some plans on what to do in retirement. If anything, I think quite a few people who posted questions here seemed overly cautious when it comes to when to retire or whether they have enough to retire (intimidated by media headlines of needing millions, having to replace 80% income, severe SS/Medicare cutback, government 'taking away' 401K etc..).

I am not surprise to see a majority of the people who retired voluntarily (myself included) reported that they did not regret their decisions.

Of course not everybody is happy or doing well in retirement. However, the two sides do not necessary have the same story (voluntary vs. involuntary retirement).

Regarding some of negative or cynical comments expressed here, while I agree that it's human tendency to 'put on a happy face', I generally believe the happy stories especially when they are consistent and without contradictions.

I honestly don't understand the complaint that " .. usually the same people post how great they are doing". I don't have any problem with some regular posters repeat their positions or stories as long as they are on topic. If you don't like reading the same happy stories or repeated whines, you can skip the posts. If anything, I find repeated complaints about other posters' stories are quite tiring.

Last edited by BellaDL; 01-01-2017 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 02:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I think if anything I notice the same poster posting that kind comment or complaint.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:00 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
My brother got laid off from his job at 62 and could not find another job so took social security and retired. While he hated his new management and is relieved to not be working there, he is now 64 and struggling financially. If not for the kindness of family members, he would be regretting retirement.

as bella said , that is not a choice situation , it is nothing he had a choice to do or not do . not what the thread is actually pertaining to .

Old 01-01-2017, 02:36 PM

35 posts, read 30,701 times
I haven't retired yet but I will be 62 this year and intend to. Perhaps I'll come back and report if I experienced regret in my decision.

I've been reading these posts for a couple of years now but have never posted. I've noticed that a good number of the well to do folks have a tendency to throw shade at the not so well to do, and I suspect that maybe the reason why "we" (the not so well to do) remain in the shadows...reading. But this time I am posting because the OP's question was of interest to me and made me hopeful that it will draw out responses from various levels of socio-economic individuals.

If I relied solely upon the "advice" of many here, I would have to work until I die, because I would not be able to afford to retire. But here is my take, and it is why I may come back and report the result of my decision.

Years ago, with high school diploma in hand, I set out from a small town to seek my fortune. Back then it seemed that the diploma was all that was needed so I ended up in the big city fully expecting to work on a job for 30 years and retire on a pension like my parents had. I had been encouraged to "get in" the Federal Government and the fact I didn't was a huge mistake. I ended up in the roller coaster field of mortgage banking. It was a good job, but it wasn't very secure as I 've seen more companies close, be closed, merged or acquired, workforce reductions, downsizing, etc., than I can remember. But life went on, I got married (then divorced), raised my family as a single parent was able to sustain and survive through the ups and downs of the industry. (Things happened around me but not to me). Then along the way the industry started changing and was becoming paperless, computers were taking our jobs and a hungry young college graduate would accept 30K which was 1/2 the salary of us long timers who needed high incomes to support our stuff. Still I was able to hang on, and then came the collapse. Corporate decisions followed that this time I did not escape. I had savings, a 401k, and a home (19 years in), and I lost it all. I won't recover and it's okay because I have accepted a couple of truths about (my) life. But before I accepted it I had to "see" as l looked back over my life, that I was not in control of anything. How at every step of the way, each and every time something went wrong (even in losing), it has always worked out for me. (I'd lost my savings and home but gained my health back. The stress of it all was becoming too much). I can't ignore that. It speaks to me.

My hair is grey now and I'm used to the employment rejections from what seems like, all fields, so I've learned to be grateful for this part time job. It's retail and it's hard and painful on the (my)body but will allow me to become debt free before I retire. The Bible says to consider the fowls of the air, and more. And that's my personal strength for it just does not make sense to me knowing that I have seen how the Lord has made a way -all this way, all my life- to believe His way-making will now suddenly stop.

I don't know what the future holds for me but I know that I am not in control of it. I won't be rich, but who knows one day I might be, but in the meantime I'll be meager but I'll be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement